Matt's Blitz2 is ON THE ROAD, -AT LAST!

Buggybloke

Thanks to all those concerned, for their little bits of info/know-how, that got my Blitz sorted....I'd got a little stuck, when changing the old 998 lump for a newer 1275cc electronic distributor equipped lump, from my old British Open Classic,
'Wedgy' (on account of it's reg. no. -A181WEG), now pulls like a train, and easily does 75/80 in 3rd gear!...AND that's with over-size tires! 185/70/13 Mud+Snow tires, (-Manufactured by a company called 'Kingpin'), it also takes off like a stung cat, but will quite happily 'pootle' along in top at 1500rpm, still able to pull away from as low as 15mph, -WITHOUT changing down either....maybe the Stage 1 modified carb, air filter, and cut'n'shut Maniflow system are helping produce all this torque!?...looking forward to trying a little bit of gentle off-roading very soon....
Q: How easy is it to fit an LSD to a mini gearbox?
Q: Can it be done without dismantling the engine/gearbox completely? am thinking it just comes out, after removing the cover on the rear of the box, where the driveshafts exit the box.
Q: Is it possible to have a 'cross-pin diff' and an LSD?

Attachments

• Blitz2 buggy.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 7,786

Buggybloke

a reeeeeally annoying uploader....I've got loads of snowy shots, but the poxy uploader won't work, I just keep getting messages saying uploader full, please contact Administrator....grrrrr! :mad:

Mini Mad Max

Buggybloke":2jfimc61 said:
Q: How easy is it to fit an LSD to a mini gearbox?
Q: Can it be done without dismantling the engine/gearbox completely? am thinking it just comes out, after removing the cover on the rear of the box, where the driveshafts exit the box.
Q: Is it possible to have a 'cross-pin diff' and an LSD?
It depends which one you go for. By far the best you could get for offroading and which would in total cost you the least brand new is the Quaife mini ATB (automatic tourque biasing) differential. It's good because it distributes the power and torque smoothly and automatically by magic or something but isn't snatchy like clutch based LSD's which can prove a night mare on wet round abouts in a rear wheel drive car like the buggy. Secondly the Quaife ATB is good as it will use standard output shafts and standard crownwheel and pinion which keeps the cost down a lot. This is also good as it means that you don't have to modify the diff casing as most LSDs have their own kind of crownwheel and pinion which means the diff casing is too small.
Thirdly this meands that if you want to keep the final drive ratio of your crownwheel and pinion and if you have enough space to work then yes you should be able to do it without removing the engine. Then also most gear driven diff's do have 4 planitary gears in so yes they are X-pin. Although the use in mind for LSDs means the manufacturer has probably made them strong enough anyway so probably wouldn't need to have 4 planitary gears rather than 2.
Finally just a thought, by the sounds of thing you have a standard 3.44:1 final drive, which with big wheels is not great for off roading, so rather than using smaller wheels which will affect your ground clearance, you can change the crownwheel and pinion to get a Low drive gearbox. Unfortunately this means you would have to remove the engine then the gearbox from the engine to do this mod. But a good final drive ratio for offroading would be 4.33:1 or a above so then you can still use big diameter wheels and tyres without getting less power and torque down low which you want for offroading. Although this will affect road performance, some say for the better, some say for the worse. It will make it incredibly quick at accelerating, but your top speed will be reduce but that's not a problem in a buggy as highspeed isn't that pleasant in them. I worked out that with 13" wheels and low profile tyres on my buggy with the 4.33:1 final drive it would top out at 90 and you would get 60 at the start of third, so with bigger tyres you could nudge that up slightly.
Hope that essay helps :D
Max
Edit: forgot to say you can only get the Quaife ATB for the mini from swiftune: http://www.swiftune.com/Product/381/automatic-torque-biasing-differential.aspx

Buggybloke

My username on here is 'Buggybloke'...was not aware I had to put a username into the photobucket....I find the instructions on how to use it a little vague....

Phaeton

Staff member
ChristmasCardshot.jpg

snowbuggy.jpg

temporayroof.jpg

MattsBlitz2buggyinthesnow.jpg

Picshowingfueltank.jpg

Playinginthesnow.jpg

outinthewhitestuff.jpg

Radar

looks good Matt on the road and looking snowy !.
Are you up for any of the proposed trips this year ? Maxs' roadtrip or Esebes ?

if so look forward to seeing you then
regards

Radar.

Mini Mad Max

Yes, you must come and rag it round some nice bendy mountain passes in the lakes :D
Looks great, i'm just getting more and more fed up about my buggy not gettin done quicker. But i have a valid excuse guys... GCSE's  ::) But i'm out on it for the first time in ages tomorrow :D
Max

biddleboy

looks good matt glad to see another buggy on the road is that the fuel filler sticking up out of your bonnet if so i thinks there is hope for for the freestyle yet with a similar front mounted tank

Buggybloke

The filler cap you can see on the front 'fairing' is the filler for what was the original fuel tank...very small, about 8litres!, this fuel tank now forms the reserve tank, and the main tank (-approx 28litres) is the 'red sausage' shape at the rear, I can switch between the two via a small diverter tap, situated betwen the seats on the engine bulkhead.
I'm also in the process of plumbing in a heater, which I'm making from a normal mini radiator, which I'll be making a box for it to live in, under the front 'fairing', from it there will be outlets for feet, hands and screen demister.... work in progress on that subject, as to fit a screen I'll have to alter the instrument panel too as it sits too high, and protrudes through the screen aperture at present, then of course there's the fitting of a wiper too.... also on the 'to do' list, are a proper roof panel, a rear luggage rack, side mounted luggage cages, zip-up side door/windows, possibly some better mudwings, and finally a repaint in Army Green... as I'll be using it as a promotional vehicle for my Armoured Personnel Carrier-for Hire business...-that's the huuuuge 6 wheeled beast in my profile picture....
As for road trips, hell yeah! I'll be up for those if I can help it! I hope to be taking it to an off-road site in Chichester, next month.... should be fun! :p ;D

Buggybloke

....... 1750 miles and what?  :mad:  -bloody head gasket went today!....humph! :-\ (still the engine was dormant for 4 and a half years, before i fitted it, all I did was put fresh oil, and coolant in,). I have a week to fix it, and finish building my heater and windscreen/and wiper......

Buggybloke

......things are a-changin'...... the 'Army' green repaint has started, and is starting to look pretty damn good, I rubbed down the plastic coating on the side panel and frame, with a Scotch-Brite pad and gave them a coat of Etch-Prime, then a light coat of the green.....
I've rubbed the mudwings down in a similar manner, but as they are soft-type plastic, I suspect the paint may not stay put very long, not really a problem as I'll probably be making up some more out of sheet aluminium or steel, they will be a bit more angular looking, and suit the lines of th cage better.... off to take some pictures now

Buggybloke

New pics of my Blitz2...~after it's colour-change, and also a nice pic of my other 'toy'.....on Photobucket, under 'buggybloke'

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice one, not a colour I would have thought of using but it comes off really well.

Alan...

HolyCount

For those that can't find it:

NowitsniceandGREEN.jpg

Liked it in yellow --- looks better in army green  ;D

Tha Saracen looks cool too -- great for nipping down to Tesco  ::) ;D

Buggybloke

-if people can't find it, it may be because it blends in to the background of my garden, ...being camouflage green!!!