Metro Donor

collie

Hi Guys, I've been busy scouring the net, ebay, AutoTrader etc, and have found a Metro near to where I live with a 1275 engine and at a bargain price!
I guess my question is threefold:
1. Is it worth getting a Metro (Even if it's just for the engine & gearbox?)
2. What additional parts do I need to get a hold of that are not on the Metro?
3. Has anybody used a Metro as a donor?

I'm sorry if there's already been a thread about this, I looked but couldn't find one?

Thanks! :)

Alex

Phaeton

Staff member
"collie"":28uan6m2 said:
Hi Guys, I've been busy scouring the net, ebay, AutoTrader etc, and have found a Metro near to where I live with a 1275 engine and at a bargain price!
I guess my question is threefold:
1. Is it worth getting a Metro (Even if it's just for the engine & gearbox?)
2. What additional parts do I need to get a hold of that are not on the Metro?
3. Has anybody used a Metro as a donor?

I'm sorry if there's already been a thread about this, I looked but couldn't find one?

Thanks! :)

Alex
Alex,

Engine & gearbox will be fine, you'll need different mountings as the Mini uses differnt ones. The V5C will be useful as well if you decide to buy all the other parts piecemeal. Danny has a Metro speedo & gauges installed in his buggy. It may have 4 pot brakes on the front which if you wanteed to go hydraulic handbrake would again come in or you may consider modifying them to accept another caliper that has a handbrake. Other than than not too sure tbh. But if it's cheap enough then just get the engine & scrap the rest. That is after letting me have the 4 pots & hubs if you don't use them :lol:

Here's an interesting post off our old forum http://www.gossiping.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... ddybuggies about having a donor.

Alan....

collie

Hi Alan,

I had the pleasure of speaking to Dave yesterday and he convinced me the Metro was the way to go, and we went into detail about the calipers, I think I'm gonna try and keep the four pots but if i change my mind, you'll get first dibs! Anyway, still holding my breath, I've not won the auction yet!

Thanks for the link, it's saved me askiing over and over "what other bits do i need?"!

Cheers,
Alex

collie

That would be telling... :p

I spoke to Dave and we're exchanging emails and erm no :oops:

Not yet, I'm working away from home, so when I get back into England I will... Promise! :wink:

iank

"collie"":2aem06jx said:

Not yet, I'm working away from home, so when I get back into England I will... Promise! :wink:

Dave is reading/answering emails.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D

collie

"iank"":10lvov5z said:
"collie"":10lvov5z said:

Dave is reading/answering emails.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D

:lol: He answered his mobile the first time i tried, and i got a response from my email a day after I sent it! Top Bloke! :p

iank

Never (ever) had any problems with the mobile. But never had an email answered (tried twice about year before I finally ordered).

I certainly agree about the top bloke part.

and not sat in a wet sleeping bag (because he was not in the right state to remember to zip closed his tent) eating wot looked like dog food - see the pics of mini in the park on events discussions

dave are your waterproof dry yet and did you find your cooler box?

how do you loose something that big?

collie

Well I got massively out bid on the Metro 4 hours before the auction closed, so that's out of the window for now, plus I had a big panic attack when I realised everyone I knew who had a towbar fitted has just gone on holiday, so I'd have no way of picking it up! :lol:
I might now just be scouting for parts instead of looking for a donor? :cry:

Phaeton

Staff member
Towbar not a problem I have one on the Surf, currently also have a dolly but if that goes back local place hires trailer out for £25-30 a day. Will collect one for you anywhere for price of diesel.

Alan...

esdebe

He got his cool box back, but by the time he had gone 25 miles he had lost the lid.... Blew off on the way back.

collie

"Phaeton"":2i5l1qk2 said:
Towbar not a problem I have one on the Surf, currently also have a dolly but if that goes back local place hires trailer out for £25-30 a day. Will collect one for you anywhere for price of diesel.

Alan...

Cheers Alan, will bare that in mind! :)