Offset

HolyCount

What's the offset on stock classic mini wheels ?  Want to get more of the wheel outside of the hub --- take it that requires a negative offset ( does it ??? ), on the assumption that having the face of the hub at the centre line of the wheel is zero ( or is it measured between different points ) ? 

Does that make sense ??? Pain killers are taking their toll today and the brain is woollier than usual  ::) :-\

jason_l

I have the Superlite deep dish alloys all round, they are -7 offset. So the face that mounts to the hub is set -7mm inwards off the centre line, if that makes sense. The lower the number the deeper the dish! :D

HolyCount

jason_l":3ebojk7g said:
I have the Superlite deep dish alloys all round, they are -7 offset. So the face that mounts to the hub is set -7mm inwards off the centre line, if that makes sense. The lower the number the deeper the dish! :D

Yes, J, I see what you mean (pills are wearing off  ;D ). I want the bulk of the wheel on the outside of the hub just to make sure I clear all suspension gear and coil overs with fat wheels  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2fazykke said:
The lower the number the deeper the dish! :D

Your Honour, I would like to challenge my learned friend on that last statement, I think we all agree that 0 is the centre of the rim therefore if his wheels have an offset of -7 it means the mounting flange is 7mm nearer the edge of the inside rim, making the outside rim 7mm further away from the centre, therefore making the dish 7mm deeper. I put it to you mi'lord that if the offset was -38, a number I'm sure you would agree is greater than -7 (although strictly speaking in mathematics terms it's not) but in this instance we can ignore the - sign, that the dish would in fact be deeper by a massive 21mm. I believe my learned friend is either trying to confuse the court or is simply mistaken & on the night in question was in fact suffering from too much alcohol that his memory of the offset has faded.

I would also like to point out at this time, I have no connection to the defendant, his mother or his aunt, although if she would like to see me behind the bike sheds later I would be very pleased, in fact more than pleased, probably very grateful, as I've heard she'd a right little goer.

Oh & by the way, watch out for too much offset as it will bugger up your bearings & we all know how painful that can be.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":3qkmnlqz said:
jason_l":3qkmnlqz said:
The lower the number the deeper the dish! :D

Your Honour, I would like to challenge my learned friend on that last statement, I think we all agree that 0 is the centre of the rim therefore if his wheels have an offset of -7 it means the mounting flange is 7mm nearer the edge of the inside rim, making the outside rim 7mm further away from the centre, therefore making the dish 7mm deeper. I put it to you mi'lord that if the offset was -38, a number I'm sure you would agree is greater than -7 (although strictly speaking in mathematics terms it's not) but in this instance we can ignore the - sign, that the dish would in fact be deeper by a massive 21mm. I believe my learned friend is either trying to confuse the court or is simply mistaken & on the night in question was in fact suffering from too much alcohol that his memory of the offset has faded.

I would also like to point out at this time, I have no connection to the defendant, his mother or his aunt, although if she would like to see me behind the bike sheds later I would be very pleased, in fact more than pleased, probably very grateful, as I've heard she'd a right little goer.

Oh & by the way, watch out for too much offset as it will bugger up your bearings & we all know how painful that can be.

Alan...

What??????  :D

Offset goes into plus numbers also so technically -38 is less than -7, well a lower number but deeper dish on the outside  ;D