Pendulum pedal box

Angel Boy

Well I have managed to blag a friends MIG welding set on long term loan (thanks Bill) and did my first bit of welding.  What do you think (hope it works)?

3363587860_c7da975a9c.jpg

Now for the questions   ;D

I've fitted the pedals from the Mini including the spring but the spring has nothing to push against so the pedals don't return to any position.  Is this correct?  Does it get sorted when you fit the master cylinders etc?  Sorry lots of questions, just want to make sure I've welded it correctly.

Cheers,
Andy

Mini Mad Max

Heya andy,
I don't know about the spring, but have you welded the lugs on the tops of the pedals so when you press the pedal, it pushes towards instead of moving upwards?
just checkin ;)
Max

jason_l

Hi Andy,

If this is the pendulum pedal box from alan i believe that it comes with an extra part that gets welded on to give the spring a rest. On the top of the pedal box, as it comes there is a small rectangular piece of metal at the top. Sort of looks like two small tabs, i believe that one of them comes completely off and gets welded further down.

Also i would be interested to know if anyone has detailed information on welding the extra tabs on the pedals as im about to do the same very soon.

Jason :p

Mini Mad Max

I'll get some photos and measurements from mine for you tomorrow night,  :p, mine were done by dave as part of the kit.
Max :D

jason_l

Andy if you look at this picture its the tab piece at the top of it that i believe comes off and gets welded further down to keep the spring in place, but im not 100% certain???

Pedal_Box

@Max, thanks mate will be a HUGE help with the pedals. :)

Angel Boy

Mini Mad Max":25o9d6e6 said:
Heya andy,
I don't know about the spring, but have you welded the lugs on the tops of the pedals so when you press the pedal, it pushes towards instead of moving upwards?
just checkin
Max

If there ever was a smiley which summed up my face now it is this one  ???  Take this as being I have no idea what you are talking about - help!!!  Some photo's would be appreciated.

jason_l":25o9d6e6 said:
Hi Andy,

If this is the pendulum pedal box from alan i believe that it comes with an extra part that gets welded on to give the spring a rest. On the top of the pedal box, as it comes there is a small rectangular piece of metal at the top. Sort of looks like two small tabs, i believe that one of them comes completely off and gets welded further down.

Also i would be interested to know if anyone has detailed information on welding the extra tabs on the pedals as im about to do the same very soon.

Jason

Yeah it's the one from Alan.  Looks like I need to take the grinder to my lovely welding then as I have welded it just above where the lugs bend out to the sides that you then bolt to the buggy.  Means I get to do more of my two favourite things at the minute though, grinding and welding  ;D

Thanks guys.
Andy

jason_l

Andy, this is what Max means. If you look at the picture of collies pedals bellow you will see that they have had extra tabs welded on to the top as the existing tabs are not in the correct place.

DSC00463.jpg

Also with regards to grinding off the top piece, im not 100% certain the extra tab is to hold the spring in place but i believe thats what it is for. You might need to get clarification from someone who knows 100% mate.

Hope this helps andy?

Jason  :p

collie

Don't forget that in my piccy the tabs were actually welded on at the wrong angle!  :-[
I hope Max, that yours was fixed correctly because if Dave did yours like mine!  :D
I've since cut mine off and am currently fabricating another pair of lugs.
The small rectangular piece I think from memory is welded accross the top for strength but couldn't say for certain as I'm not anywhere near my buggy at the mo.
To anchor the spring I believe folks have used a long bolt coming from the bulkhead, make sure your spring is set the right way!

jason_l

collie":715es2mr said:
Don't forget that in my piccy the tabs were actually welded on at the wrong angle!  :-[
I hope Max, that yours was fixed correctly because if Dave did yours like mine!  :D
I've since cut mine off and am currently fabricating another pair of lugs.
The small rectangular piece I think from memory is welded accross the top for strength but couldn't say for certain as I'm not anywhere near my buggy at the mo.
To anchor the spring I believe folks have used a long bolt coming from the bulkhead, make sure your spring is set the right way!

Dave did your pedals and they are still in the wrong location???  :eek: Ok, does anyone have a diagram or measurements showing correctly where the pedal lugs need to be welded on? Im tempted to just weld a large piece of metal on the top and grind it down to the correct size/shape and do it that way.

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
For the spring I drilled a hole through the bulkhead & then put a long bolt through, locked it off with a nut, then through spring, large washer then a nut to tension it.

First image shows where the 2 support bars which are attached to the laser template fit & the second sort of shows the bolt holding the spring. Simon has done his a different way I'm sure but can't remember how.

As to the pedals, yes you need two new lugs welding at the top, Dave did mine correctly, but I would suggest you fit the pedal box, fit 2x master cylinders & pedals then just tack the lugs on in a comfortable position. Then remove the pedals with lugs & get some BIG HEAT in there when you weld them on. Unlike Danny's whose fell off after a couple of pushes, not something you want to happen on the road.

Just to add this is the clutch M/C I used Fleecebay

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":1lw4illr said:
Andy, this is what Max means. If you look at the picture of collies pedals bellow you will see that they have had extra tabs welded on to the top as the existing tabs are not in the correct place.

DSC00463.jpg

Also with regards to grinding off the top piece, im not 100% certain the extra tab is to hold the spring in place but i believe thats what it is for. You might need to get clarification from someone who knows 100% mate.

Hope this helps andy?

Jason  :p

I'm just doing this at the moment, does anyone have any pictures of where the tabs/lugs should actually be?

Alan...

jason_l

How Random, i have just come on here to post that exact question ;D

Im also just about to do this mod and would also like to know where to add the tabs.

Its that or i am going to have to guess it and bodge something up, trial and error sort of thing. lol

Jason :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason, I figure on having the rods that come out of the M/C's to have threads on to the clevis, so there will be some adjustment, but would like to get close.

Alan...

collie

Don't use the tabs on my pedals as a guide, Dave kindly welded them on back to front!!  :eek:
So the tabs are pointing out at the wrong angle. In the picture, they point to the right and should be pointing to the left slightly.
It only needs a small amount of adjustment to make your pedals stick up in the air! (As I found out!)
I have grinded (grinded/gound?) the extra tabs off my pedals and I made up a card template based upon the top section of the existing pedal tabs. I then turned the template 90 degrees and mocked it up on the car, turns out the positioning is almost perfect.
I am going to do like esdebe (I think he said so any way) that he bolted his tabs onto the pedals, that way there is a small possibility for adjustment, re-drilling of holes if my measurements were wrong?

Oh, Alan, I found the length of rod from the landrover M/C to be too long, it needs to be cut down!

Phaeton

Staff member
Alex,

I maybe thick& had a little too much of Scotland's finest, but that description is as clear as mud sorry. So are the tabs too far backwards or too far forwards?

Also I think Simon was actually saying his pedalbox is bolted onto teh chassis rather than the tabs being bolted on.

Alan...

esdebe

I was refering to the box being bolted to the chassis as Alan said.  My tabs are welded on.

The one thing I had issues with was making sure that the connecting rod form the MC was the right length.  Having a clevis that is adjustable is the best way to make small adjustments, but you do need the hole in the Tab to be at the right hight so that as it moves through its arc trajectory, it doesn't cause the push rod to foul or be at such an angle that it damages the MC.

My tabs were too far forward making my pedals stick up when they were welded by Save, So i cut them off and re welded them a little further back, again this could be due to the push rods being different lengths.  I also has a biger hole in my brake petal tab as my original pedal was from a servo that used a larger clevis pin, so I had to make a sleeve for the clevis pin out of copper to make it fit correctly.

If I get time I'll take a photo and post it but I think there are too many variables in MC types etc (especially for the clutch) so what may be good for one drive may not be so good for another.  Personally I'd tac the tabs on put everything in position but with no brake fluid in and hoses not connected and see how it feels, when you are happy with high and angle weld the tabs in place permanently.

Once enougt of us have done this we can give more accurate measurements based on different MC types.

Simon

collie

Sorry Alan, I re-read that, yeah sounds like I was talking out of my a**e!  :D
I think after reading esdebe's post, Dave must have regularly welded these tabs on at the wrong angle and pointing too far to the rear of the car when fitted making the pedals stick up in the air.
I hope to be in the garage on Saturday (Yes tomorrow!) So I'll take a picture of what i intend to do to give you an idea of what I am blabbing on about  :-[