re:side panniers

wally1

alan
    has anything esle been done or said regarding the side panniers you were building?
wal

Phaeton

Staff member
Yeah Wally I finished them before we went round Wales, I'll pull the buggy out of the garage over the weekend & finish the post off with pictures etc. they're a big success for me, but not exactly as I'd like them. I'll explain in my post but somebody passed a message to somebody else & it didn't get told right.

Alan...

wally1

hi again Alan,
                it seems this might be a bit of a touchy subject but I'm really intrested  you said you would post on the panniers and Ive been eagerly waiting as i cant put roofbox on as my head pokes through the top so side pods /panniers seems the way for me to go :) :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Wally,

Sorry mate not a touchy subject at all, it's just since beginning of August I've been doing extensive work in the house, moving walls, doors, new ceilings etc. Jusy haven't had the opportunity to get the buggy out of the garage to take some pictures. just looked at Steve's pictures of the Wales trip & only one they are visible in is

WalesBuggyTrip2010053.jpg

I will try this weekend, honest i will.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Wally,

As you can see from the first picture getting the buggy out isn't easy, there's also a car parked directly behind it :)

There was a bit of a mix-up when the frames were covered, I was busy (there's something that doesn't seem to alter) by a friend of a friend. He thought the narrow end was the front, so put the bend on there & the cut at what is actually the front, so they don't look as neat as they could be. Another thing that got lost in translation, was where the hinges were supposed to be, I wanted them off the back so as to minimise risk of water getting inside. Then finally the lid was supposed to have a lip on the front again to stop water ingress.

2010-10-17162817.jpg

2010-10-17163131.jpg

2010-10-17163138.jpg

2010-10-17163146.jpg

2010-10-17163159.jpg

2010-10-17163206.jpg

2010-10-17163221.jpg

2010-10-17163230.jpg

However having said all that Ii am very happy with the concept of them. They didn't seem to affect the handling, much nicer to have the weight lower & not have that draft around the back of the neck like you do with a roof box. I'll be at Stonleigh if you want to have a look.

Alan...

wally1

hi Alan
thanks for all that im still digesting it all will ask/comment a little bit later
wal

Buggybloke

I'm in the process of designing some side mounted stowage, for my Blitz2, similar to yours, but the tops will be hinged on outside edge, so they can be opened whilst sat in buggy, and the lids will be slightly angled downwards/outwards to discourage rainwater flowing into seats on corners!..... also I'm gonna fit an elbow pad, on the rearmost end of the lid, to protect my funnybone, when driving off-road......

wally1

hi Alan, well what can i say. I think panniers is the way to go, apart from your lid which still looks good but as you say could do with a lip all round they tick all the boxes. They are certainly big enough [and theres 2 of them]to carry just about everything, they are low down keeping the weight where it should be.The security aspect for them could be done in numerous ways to suit anyone and if I'm not mistaken the material you used comes in various colours,the only downside is of course the cost but even the small roof box from halfords is a ton.Thanks for that Alan you have shown the way
    wal