Side Panniers

Phaeton

Staff member
As you probably know I went to Newark Kitcar Show last weekend, if you saw the pictures you'll have seen all 4 buggies lined up with their hats on, otherwise known as roof boxes. I don't like having mine on, well apart from the fact it's held together with Gaffa tape from where I dropped it on the floor. It creates a bit of a funnel above the windscreen & below the roof box & you can end up with neck ache with all the buffering. I liked Dave Smart's idea of the panniers, so having ruled out just chequer plate ones on the grounds that I couldn't weld them up like Dave got done, I've decided to make mine as a frame & then cover them with 'something'.

I rang around a couple of steel stockists in Sheffield & eventually bought 3x 6M lengths of 25x25x1.2mm box, so the next bit was how to get them home, they kindly cut them in half & ended I up with 6x 3M lengths & no roof rack. So today I went to work in the buggy armed with some 38mm drainpipe & a roll of Gaffa tape. The pipe was slotted & cut to length then put around the frame to give it some protection & then the steel strapped to the frame with Gaffa tape.

2010-06-23163936.jpg

2010-06-23163945.jpg

2010-06-23163952.jpg

Best bit I had to drive past South Yorks Police HQ on the way home  ;D

Anyway, going to make a start after tea so watch this space, please make comments if you think I'm making mistakes, I'm good at making them.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Nah didn't buy the steel from Health & Safety, forgotten the name of the firm but it wasn't that.

Anyhoo, got some more done later being fed, got to decide what to clad it in, need to work out some prices, as depending what it is will depend on how many more uprights, I need to put in.

2010-06-23202038.jpg

2010-06-23202048.jpg

2010-06-23202056.jpg

2010-06-23202105.jpg

2010-06-23202115.jpg

2010-06-23202133.jpg

Alan...

Radar

looking good Alan much better than the roof boxes IMHO

clad in steel ? plastic ? or GRP ??

can't wait to see the finished article

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
Radar":387mbhif said:
clad in steel ? plastic ? or GRP ??

That's the question really, got a quote off a guy on ebay to cover in 1.5mm chequerplate & he wants £220 just for the plate!!!!! So going to look into the stuff Jason bought the thin ali sandwich board stuff & then maybe just chequer lids. Need to work this bit out as that will depend if it needs any uprights putting in.

Alan...

jason_l

That thin Ally stuff can be bought for about £50 a sheet (3x2M) from Rightons.

They do some really nice bright colours, so you could get it in yellow to match your buggy! They also do a mirror, brushed alloy, copper, marble, wood grain effect versions. We have loads of colour swatch's here Alan, if you want me to scan certain ones in then let me know. I can also give you the code for the different finish's.

Jason :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Do they deliver? as this look like the way forward as chequer is so expensive.

Alan...

Jason is HY3104 a RAL colour?

jason_l

Phaeton":197fmytc said:
Do they deliver? as this look like the way forward as chequer is so expensive.

Alan...

Jason is HY3104 a RAL colour?

Yes they deliver, i can scan the yellow swatch in tomorrow when im at work Don't know if thats a RAL colour?

I paid £57.50 for a sheet delivered but my company was ordering at the time so they paid for the delivery charge :D

jason_l

Alan, this is the scan of the colour swatch we have. Doesn't really do it justice as the monitor may change the colour etc. If you want i can cut off a piece and send it to ya? So you can double check the colour. Its Matt on one side and Gloss on the other so you can choose the finish you want..............

scan0002.jpg

Its made up of 0.5mm alloy, 2mm rubber and another 0.5mm alloy.

If you want me to send you some colour swatch's just PM me your address.

Jason :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Thanks Jason, it looks quite close to my arch colour, is it easy to bend? I want to do the front & the sides in 1 piece so need to do 2x 90 degrees. Then just got to decide how to do the lids, still thinking of using chequer plate for them

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":mkx3offj said:
Thanks Jason, it looks quite close to my arch colour, is it easy to bend? I want to do the front & the sides in 1 piece so need to do 2x 90 degrees. Then just got to decide how to do the lids, still thinking of using chequer plate for them

Alan...

It will bend but you need to router the back. What we do is router a 4/5mm slot about 2mm deep in the back and then bend it along this line.It will happily bend to 90 degree without damaging the coating and then you can pop rivet/bolt it on!

Just checked the sheet size and its 1.5m wide x 3m not 2m x 3m wide like i thought.