Sleeping Bag Advice

Phaeton

Staff member
As Danny has requested that we stay at Stoneleigh for 2 nights & the last twice I have stayed it's been sub-zero. I need a new sleeping bag, anyone got any recommendations? Don't want to spend more than I need to, l but by the same token I'll spend a couple extra quid to stay warm.

Tried to look on Fleecebay but there are so many options.

Alan...

ginsters

get yourself a survival bag(big carrier bag)they only cost a couple of quid and slip your normal bag inside

Radar

Alan,

I bought an ex army bag in green not camo for about £25 delivered it was an artic bag and for the specification and cold rating it is awsome good to minus -25c proper good not pretend . Similar high street bag with that spec would be well north of £100. Only downside is size weight (not an issue with the buggy having loads of space to strap it to ) and the fact it is used but clean ...I just took mine down to the local laundrette and had it washed for £ 4. to get rid of the "storage smell" and it was good as new I have  used it a lot since then and never been cold even in the snow we had recently .  Better to carry a bulky bag and be warm then carry a bag that is lighter /smaller and get a cold crappy nights sleep I say ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-ARTI ... 415858f2c9

this is the one I have great spec and for the money it is great value against bergaus and all those posh brands make sure you get one that is large ...(some sizes do vary ) and also has the stuff sack with it as it is bulky when in the sack but like I said no problem on the buggy ..

Radar

Danny

Administrator
i went to millets and got my one for abiut 20 lively and warm.... lots of closing down sales on at the moment

collie

like Radar, I can vouch for the ex army sleeping bag, mine has the previous owners name emblazoned on it "Sgt Buck" lol
Very warm, slept in sub zero temperatures and still been snug.
I can also recommend as above the survival bag, but that should be your last resort, good to roll it out on the floor under everything else.
Doesn't matter how good a bag is, there are two factors that affect you when you are camping.
1. Depth of insulation between you and the cold, hard ground, and
2. The empty space of cold air around you!
Best I can recommend is a self inflating roll mat, just google it, these are awesome!
As for the tent, if you're alone, you need as small as possible so that you can radiate as little heat into is possible.
Blimey, all those years of Duke of Edinburghs award didn't go to waste!

Phaeton

Staff member
Ordered one of the ex-army ones, last night, just hope it arrives in time. Even though I think there's one in our loft from the 70's, & I do mean the 1970's!

Alan...

Radar

Alan said "the 70 s I do mean the 70s ???" what the sleeping bag has a flared bit at the bottom ????? ;D

Radar