Starting Out

dannywill

Hi

I am new here, I am looking into building a buggy
I have a few questions, hopefully somebody can help.

I have never done anything like this before, what sort of experience/technical know-how do I need? Are instructions supplied?

What sort of budget should I have in mind to get me started? Also what sort of budget for the whole lot including getting it on the road?

What are the alternatives to the freestyle?
I will be using it for off road use, road legal just for getting where I'm going (if that makes sense?)
Would like somthing that is relatively cheap to build with easily sourcable spares.

Sorry for all the questions, look forward to replies

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Asbo

try ebay,theres a road-legal one for sale there at the mo,2500 english pounds last time i looked,which is a bit of a bargain considering all the hassle involved doin' one 'from scratch'.alternatively,dave is easily contacted to order a new kit....your move.lol.

Phaeton

Staff member
"dannywill"":3iv18jm2 said:
Hi

I am new here, I am looking into building a buggy
I have a few questions, hopefully somebody can help.
Welcome Danny, we will try to help all we can.

I have never done anything like this before, what sort of experience/technical know-how do I need? Are instructions supplied?
Basic mechanical knowledge is useful, but not essential, I think you need a logical brain more than anything & not to be frightened of new things. Instructions, well sort of, there is a basic build manual which is out of date.
What sort of budget should I have in mind to get me started? Also what sort of budget for the whole lot including getting it on the road?
For a basic SVA kit you're looking around £2.3k, then you have to find a Mini (enter price from £250-£500) then there's the refurbishment of parts £300, you'll need seats, possibly wheels & various other bling. Then there's SVA fee's currently £185 (I think)
What are the alternatives to the freestyle?
Either a Chinese import or a Blitz which as so fugly you'd be embarrassed to be seen in one.
I will be using it for off road use, road legal just for getting where I'm going (if that makes sense?)
Perfectly, have you seen the videos showing their capabilities?
Would like somthing that is relatively cheap to build with easily sourcable spares.
relatively is by nature a relative term, mine came in around £3.5k some have spent as much as £6k. Sourceble parts is an interesting one, most Mini parts are readily available if sometimes a bit expense, apart from the actual car which are now fetching stupid money. You don't actually need a donor car & could build it just from spares, but having a V5C makes it much easier to SVA & register, that is if ever dealing with DVLA & VOSA is easy.

Sorry for all the questions, look forward to replies
No worries, mine are above
Thanks in advance,
Dan.
You're welcome.

However if you want my advice, which you may or may not do, depending on your skills, I would either try to buy the one currently on fleecebay as close to £2.5k as possible. You're then on the road immediately, you have all of summer to enjoy & then over winter sort out all those things you want to change, bigger engine, cosmetics etc. Or if you want to do more building Shaun has a part build for sale around £1k not sure if it's a bit more if he bought some more bits for it. Other than that there is a Tomcat registered as a Mini that just needs an engine & subframe for £500. Personally I would go for the one on fleecebay, I regret selling mine, as I have currently no time to do the next one in the garage.

Alan....

dannywill

"Phaeton"":3vd8nuxg said:
Basic mechanical knowledge is useful, but not essential, I think you need a logical brain more than anything & not to be frightened of new things. Instructions, well sort of, there is a basic build manual which is out of date.

In that case I do think I would be up to the build, maybe with a little help hear and there.

For a basic SVA kit you're looking around £2.3k, then you have to find a Mini (enter price from £250-£500) then there's the refurbishment of parts £300, you'll need seats, possibly wheels & various other bling. Then there's SVA fee's currently £185 (I think)

Thanks, that gives me an idea of the sort of money I need to put away

Either a Chinese import or a Blitz which as so fugly you'd be embarrassed to be seen in one.

Don't really want to go down the route of a chinese import, I would imagine the parts are hard to source.

I have to disagree about the blitz, I actually prefer the looks of the blitz to the freestyle. Would I be right in thinking that the blitz is a cheaper way of doing it?

have you seen the videos showing their capabilities?

I haven't, please point me in the right direction

relatively is by nature a relative term, mine came in around £3.5k some have spent as much as £6k. Sourceble parts is an interesting one, most Mini parts are readily available if sometimes a bit expense, apart from the actual car which are now fetching stupid money. You don't actually need a donor car & could build it just from spares, but having a V5C makes it much easier to SVA & register, that is if ever dealing with DVLA & VOSA is easy.

Will basically be trying to do the whole build as cheap as poss, then look at improving it in the future.
Have noticed that minis do seem to bring a lot of money, especially the ones with no mechanical problems.

I would like to build it from parts, due to limited space. But as you say the SVA & register would be more dificult, and possibly insurance too (Q plate).

However if you want my advice, which you may or may not do, depending on your skills, I would either try to buy the one currently on fleecebay as close to £2.5k as possible. You're then on the road immediately, you have all of summer to enjoy & then over winter sort out all those things you want to change, bigger engine, cosmetics etc. Or if you want to do more building Shaun has a part build for sale around £1k not sure if it's a bit more if he bought some more bits for it. Other than that there is a Tomcat registered as a Mini that just needs an engine & subframe for £500. Personally I would go for the one on fleecebay, I regret selling mine, as I have currently no time to do the next one in the garage.

The ebay one is not really an option, not ready to buy just yet.
Same goes for the part built, although this would be more tempting.
What exactly is a tomcat?

The blitz looks really interesting, do you know anything about them?

Also, noticed your in worksop. I am in rotherham, do you have a shop @ worksop?

Thanks for all the info and help.

Dan.

Phaeton

Staff member
There is a forum attached to this one http://muddybuggies.com/blitz/YaBB.pl for the Blitz, presumably you have found www.blitzworld.co.uk ? As regards to building a Blitz & cost I have no idea sorry, however the Fiat based one at Stoneleigh looked a good design, if a little light on detail for SVA.

A Tomcat was basically a Freestyle before it became a Freestyle, previous owner/manufacturer name for the kit.

No shop, just a bit of a joke, as there is always several bits of several cars/buggies at my house, I have a chassis in the garage that's been started if you want to have a look.

Alan...

dannywill

"Phaeton"":1o3xew5l said:
There is a forum attached to this one http://muddybuggies.com/blitz/YaBB.pl for the Blitz,

Doesn't seem to be much activity in that forum.

presumably you have found www.blitzworld.co.uk ?

Yes found it thanks, emailed about getting a build manual to see what is involved

As regards to building a Blitz & cost I have no idea sorry, ?

No problem, just wish I could find some more blitz owners for advice.

however the Fiat based one at Stoneleigh looked a good design, if a little light on detail for SVA.

sorry, could you enlighten me with some more details on this?

A Tomcat was basically a Freestyle before it became a Freestyle, previous owner/manufacturer name for the kit.

OK I see, thanks.

No shop, just a bit of a joke, as there is always several bits of several cars/buggies at my house, I have a chassis in the garage that's been started if you want to have a look.

That is really nice, may give you a shout when I'm ready to order, if thats OK.

Thanks again for the reply and info.

Dan.

P.S. sorry for any spelling mistakes, had a few beers.

Phaeton

Staff member
As said don't know much about Blitz KR3 but at Stomeleigh it looked good, had a Fiat 1100cc 'Fire' engine in it, from a Cinq (I think), suspension, gear change, brakes, steering . It was just that in the form Steve Parker was showing it, semi off-road guise you couldn't see what else had to be done to get it through the SVA.

As to vids http://funbuggies.net/media.php

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
"dannywill"":3eudd38g said:
Also, noticed your in worksop. I am in rotherham, do you have a shop @ worksop?
Dan.
Tonka,

This is a bit of a clue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan...

hmalan

Dan,

I have a completed, I think!!, but not SVA'd yet buggy in Doncaster.

This will be around for the next few days and then dissapears for a while !!

Alan

dannywill

"hmalan"":2bnllc5i said:
Dan,

I have a completed, I think!!, but not SVA'd yet buggy in Doncaster.

This will be around for the next few days and then dissapears for a while !!

Alan

Is that a freestyle or a blitz?