Steering column & SVA

HolyCount

I have been told by a guy who builds Domino kits that they usually fail SVA on the steering column being somewhat antiquated: No crumple, no universals and offset too far.

This puzzles me somewhat as the Freestyle uses basically the same set up (albeit shorter) and passes on this point!

Has anyone here had SVA probs with the steering column set up ??

Phaeton

Staff member
Kev,

One difference between the two is that the Freestyle has a UJ fitted, so that in theory if you hit the steering wheel hard enough the steering column could move forward.

Another to look out for is the position of the UJ when I SVA'd both mine & MattBlack's there was no issue with the UJ. But when I did HMAlan's he was going to fail it on it, the reason is because it was more then 150mm above the seat height (measured from where you bum sits) & had sharpish edges anything below that is exempt.. Alan had mounted his seats to the floor hence they were lower, on the day I got a small empty pop bottle, cut the bottom off, slit it the full length, took a small amount of the screw thread away & fixed it on with a tie wrap.

Alan...

hmalan

All those years of Alan watching Blue Peter paid off in this case.

As Alan says he fitted the bottle on mine for SVA and it also had the collapsible boss on the wheel

Phaeton

Staff member
Is it still fitted? If so piccy, I was quite proud of that but didn't get a snog from Lesley Judd

Alan...