subframe & engine removal

daz

Hi all

its taken a while but at long last i have desided to get my freestyle back on the road ;D two years ago i had an idea to replace the 998cc with a 1300cc a+ metro engine & for those of you with good memorys had a few issues ::) i've eventually sorted all that & am attempting to fit the new one.

you all seem to make it seem so easy! i cant even get the subframe off :'( i've undone the two turret bolts & both the bolts through the subframe into the chassis & ive disconected all electrics /pipes/exchaust but it still wont come apart!! (im begining to think the cars got it in for me ;D) i've even taken the handbrake cables off which meant removing the seats to access the console screws.does anyone know what i've missed? there are 4 bolts (engine side) by where the handbrake & gears change rod go through but they look a right pain to get to & replace, do these also need to come out?

Thanks

Daz

esdebe

don't forget to remove the shocks, they attached the frame (chassis) to the suspension, and with them still attached you can't drop the subframe out.

Phaeton

Staff member
Have you disconnected the shepherd's crook (gear change) from the engine at the back?

Alan...

daz

Thanks for replying Esdebe

ive already removed those which is why i cant see whats stopping it from coming apart, after another look it seems that the 4 bolts i meantioned are holding the handbreak fittings to the subframe so i dont think thats stopping it, maybe i just need to use a bit of gentle persuasion (if you know what i mean ) it does seem like its fixed in the middle though as it rocks from side to side where the two out side bolts were removed, does that make sense? im wondering if it is possible to remove & fit the new engine with the subframe still fitted, anyone done that?

Daz

daz

Hi Alan

yep ive removed the pins & its loose under the engine but as its shaped it doesnt want to pull completely out but it is disconnected, for those that try to remove the pins youll find it is so easy with the correct punch, dont try with anything else its a right pain ;) the tool is only a few £ (big surprise now adays)

Phaeton

Staff member
daz":6nevcpii said:
im wondering if it is possible to remove & fit the new engine with the subframe still fitted, anyone done that? Daz

Yes you can but you need to angry grind the bar that goes across the back between the 2 lights, never done it myself but HMalan did before he sold up.

But on a standard build there is nothing else holding it, unless they have done something funky with those brackets for the handbrake cables. It doesn't have a behind the seat tank does it & there are fuel lines holding on?

Alan...

daz

Hi Alan
No fuel lines but I think as you put it they've done. Something funky!.
I've had A look again this morning & looks like they've extended the centre console,or at least the bottom plate through the hole into the engine bay & bolted it to the subframe;( they've then used the same bolts to fix the handbrake brackets , that's going to be a pain to get to but better that me getting going with an angrygrinder

Thanks for the ideas though

Daz

Phaeton

Staff member
Daz,

Might be leading you astray with the angry grinder it's not as drastic as it sounds, see the picture below

DSC00225_marked_for_angry_grinder.jpg

It's mainly there for the build & when the kits delivered once your frame is bolted to the turret tops it is effectively redundant.

Alan...

daz

Thanks Alan

What about the bar that's On the right just out of pic? It's about the same dia but will get in the way of the clutch housing when the engines lifted or do you push things out of the way?
How do most people do this when changing engines? I also have a large thick bar following where the towing plate is in the the pic across the back of the buggy, I take it you lift & tilt the engine past this? Or do I have a slightly different build to most?

Daz

Phaeton

Staff member
The one to the right of the picture should be okay, the engine should come past that. One my first buggy I managed to take off the wok/frying pan/clutch housing, remove the clutch, flywheel & get to the oil pump with the engine still in the buggy. But when I changed the engine I took the subframe off the frame, but as I said HMalan changed his engine by just removing that bar indicated & then lifted/tilted/twisted the engine out on his own, but exactly how not sure.

Alan...

daz

Hi Alan

brief update, after a few cans & a long moan to a mate about buggy issues he had a look,grined at me & gave it a kick! both parts moved.looks like it was stuck on the gear change outer bar as that went between the frame/subframe not the center console after all (it just needed gently persuading) he's a Mechanic (he hates me calling him that) says you normally do stuff like that out of site of the customer ;).looks like you were on the right path with your other post, im just glad it wasnt those bolts.

thanks again for the help

Daz

daz

quick update, engine & subframe out ;) but for those that have never done it if you use the angy grinder please be aware that some people put the wires to the lights inside the bar that needs removing ;) as pictured. that way you can slide the whole engine & subframe backwards .

daz

daz

Hi All

engine out new one fitted & everything going ok at moment ! new rubber gators fitted (what a nasty job that is) new ball joint as old one trashed with a overgentle tap ;) bits swopped so hopefully this weekend all will be well ! i never want to do this again,its surprisingly hard work on your own but doable just need to take your time & keep that temper in check ;) will be able to try starting it at weekend !!! if it fails BIG bike engine going in over the winter (mixed feelings about that ;))

daz