SVA 28th February 2009

Phaeton

Staff member
No not booked it just yet but will be doing.

Got a pamphlet through today from VOSA stating that applications for SVA's will not be accepted after 28th February 2009 to allow examinations by 28th April 2009. From 29th April 2009 IVA's will be the order of the day. However if you fail the SVA you will have 6 months in which to take the re-test. Also the MAC will only be valid up until 31st October 2009 for tax purposes with the DVLA. It does give you a link to www.dft.gov.uk/typeapproval which I can't see really tells you anything. But another link takes you to http://transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/vehic ... anuals.htm which has the manual to download.

Alan...

Angel Boy

Best pull my finger out, although I don't think I'll be ready in time.  Bummer!  :(

I'd best start saving for the IVA then.

Andy

HolyCount

Go for the SVA whether you are ready or not -- at least that will give you another 6 months to finish it off under the old rules ( and old money!!!)

Phaeton

Staff member
Only thing is it does need to be somewhere near completed or the tester could just refuse to test it, you'd loose your test fee & still have to submit & pay for IVA.

Alan...

HolyCount

Phaeton":ihv5dslx said:
Only thing is it does need to be somewhere near completed or the tester could just refuse to test it, you'd loose your test fee & still have to submit & pay for IVA.

Alan...

Granted (can't just roll up with a frame on wheels !!! ). But you can still aim to get that extra 6 months if timed correctly ( that's MY plan anyway  ;) )

Mini Mad Max

Better get on with it or i will hve to pay the extra £390!! I think i will do the same as everyone here lol. I haven't properly started yet, i just been stripping and rebuilding the engine.
Max

HolyCount

My original plan was to strip everything and start from scratch, but since learning of the changes I am keeping the donor engine as it is and will strip and repaint the frame after sva -- I am sure the tester won't fail me on the lurid colour scheme it is now ( yellow and purple!)

HolyCount

Hmmm ---- when I get round to painting I am planning black powder coat on the frame ----- then ..... I will either just do suspension parts and engine detail in silver with black bonnet and silver panels.   

Or ..... army camo all over using a side mounted jerry can as the fuel tank.

Mini Mad Max

Sounds serious! ;D lol
yeah i will probably eventually powdercote the frame black as its got hammerite at the mo, but it had supprisingly good finnish, then the engine in orange or purple, goes well with lime green see! lol
Max

jason_l

Glad i read this!!!!

We are aiming to get ours done before the dreaded IVA comes in and didn't know about the February cut off.

Think we will have to do the same and put it in even if its not finished, even if it does fail we will have a list of items that need to be done to get it SVA'd and we will know exactly what is left to do!!!

Jason :)

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":3viheaei said:
Think we will have to do the same and put it in even if its not finished, even if it does fail we will have a list of items that need to be done to get it SVA'd and we will know exactly what is left to do!!!
So far put three buggies through SVA & that's how I've approached each one, less stress that way, even managed to get one through within an hour of the fail so no retest fee. Then we spend an hour getting somebody else through who had turned up for a retest & failed again.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":1ll6lf9v said:
jason_l":1ll6lf9v said:
So far put three buggies through SVA & that's how I've approached each one, less stress that way, even managed to get one through within an hour of the fail so no retest fee. Then we spend an hour getting somebody else through who had turned up for a retest & failed again.

Alan...

Well if its worked for you, Three times!!!! then thats what we are going to do, all we have to do now is find a good SVA centre close to Southampton......thats not southampton. Don't want to take it there as i have heard they are not too good :(

Phaeton

Staff member
Right decision made ringing VOSA tomorrow to get paperwork, then booking test if I can get a date at end of January then it gives me a finite date for when it's got to be finished by.

Alan...

jason_l

Looks like we are going to be doing the same now, will be ringing VOSA over the next few days for the paperwork. Is there a direct number for SVA paperwork Alan???

Phaeton

Staff member
Says on these forms 0870 60 60 440 but I downloaded the forms from SVA Form and Amatur Build Declaration

Only thing I am stuck on is Q13Max speed I reckon 75mph & Max BHP 45 is that about right for a 1275cc

Edit:- Just read it again & it's maximum revs not bhp so going to put 5.5k

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Max speed should be about 90mph if not slightly more with standard final drive ratio and 13" wheels. Then the revs are about right. hope this helps.
Max