To Heli-coil or not?????

willsbuggy

Hi Guys, one of the threads on the front hub uprights, where the brake caliper bolts on, is none too clever and could be a bit risky to leave. What would be the best way round this? I thought of heli-coiling it but I've not done it before, is it a safe option and how's it done?
Cheers, Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
I've never done heli-coiling either but a friend tells me it's fairly easy. Is there clearance behind the hub to drill out the thread & put a bolt & nylock nut on? If you go this route remember the replacement bolt will be imperial diameter

Alan...

Radar

I have heli coiled before , careful measurement and drilling is required i.e. make sure you use the right size heli and drillbit etc . My helicoils are on the actual engine mounts in my Scorpion 3 it's an alli engine casing and mount so its a critical safety area and takes a lot of stresses.
Be careful plan what you do and check out you tube there were some instructional videos on there a couple years back .

It's easy to do if you want to tackle it yourself

Radar

Lilspeed

I work in an engineering machine shop and often use helicoil inserts. As Radar says, it's a simple process and I too would say perfectly suitable for repairing a caliper mounting. You will obviously need to buy a helicoil kit to suit the thread to be repaired, and will also need exactly the right size drill bit for the kit, and a tap wrench.

You drill out the stripped thread to the right size to suit the tap in the kit, tap the hole, then screw in the wire thread insert.

If you didn't fancy giving it a go yourself you could always try ringing some local engineering shops to see if they had the right kit and could do the repair for you. Might be cheaper than doing it yourself if you're lucky! ;)