unf to metric caliper fittings

Hoagy

hi gang hows this for sods law just had a pair of 4 pot calipers remanufactured only to find out that they are unf thread fittings instead of metric does any of you know if it it is possible to get some sort of converter for the brake lines ??? or any other ideas

esdebe

You can easily make converters using male and female unions and a bit of copper brake line.

The unions cost about 50p each
http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/brakeunions.htm

Alternativy get a unf male to metric male converter, and a metric female to female joiner. Joing the converter and joiner together and then screw in the pipe... Downside is the length the converter will be

Phaeton

Staff member
Assuming you're having flexible pipe from the caliper to the chassis, the next piece will be solid, you can put a metric on one end & a UNF on the other.

Just because I'm nosey are these going on the front? if so has anybody else done this, just thinking you maybe over braked, I can lock my front up with standard calipers.

Alan...

hmalan

Mine has the full flexible pipe set and I am sure that there are UNF to metric converters in the master cylinder.

I will check tommorow and post back on here

funbuggydave

What kind of 4 pot calipers? Metro or something more exotic?
Believe the metro ones used 3/8" UNF thread as well as the Mini ones, not sure why you think they should be metric :?
Any flexible hoses for minis, or 4 pot conversion hoses for metro to mini should, I believe, be UNF. No doubt if I'm wrong, Jerry will correct me :wink:
Dave

Phaeton

Staff member
Could it be that this is a Sierra MC conversion? If so then I suspect it will be metric, hence the conversion from metric to UNF, I could be well off here as well. Or alternatively the later Mini MC's had a large metric thread at top, but once past this all the rest was UNF.

Alan...

esdebe

both ports on the mini MC are metric, the brake pipe set from dave has various combinations of metric and unf although I can't remember what is what any more (I think I had both metric and unf fittings for the banjo ends... and I think the t-pieces were also metric) but I'm sure that you should be able to get a set of flexy hoses to join the chassis to the calipers from some where with one end made as a metric fitting and the other as a unf. There are probably even production sets like that available for some car somewhere.

Simon

Hoagy

further update these are metro calipers fitted to the rear splitting the pots for foot and handbrake with the nessesary bike cable to keep the man from the ministry happy. The metro was fitted with both unf and metric fittings at one point (typical of austin rover) the differance shown by a m stamp or a gold colour difficult when covered in rust though. thanks for the fitting supplier tip was in a hurry so bought another pair from the local motor factors who have now supplied me with one vented and one non vented !!!! as the bloke on the telly said "i dont belive it"

Phaeton

Staff member
So does that mean there is an old knackered pair of four pot calipers going very cheap??????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Well at least cheap enough for a yorkshire man to be able to afford them.

Alan...

esdebe

if they are on the rear you don't need to have flexy pipes so you could make your own short pipes using the relevant unions as per the post above.

(Note You still need some flex to cope with suspension movements, but having an adapter between the caliper and the flex pipe wouldn't be a problem on the rear)