Vosa SVA1 Application form - In need of some help please

JAMIE B.

Right Im filling in the SVA1 form and Ive got to question Q15 but Im struggling to provide an answer.

Is Joe Bloggs supposed to have access to axle weight measuring devices and a weigh bridge ??

Any ideas what kind of weights (in kg) Axle 1, Axle 2 and the Gross weight should be?

Also:

Q3 Full model description.........do I just put "Freestyle Saloon" ?

Q13 a  Maximum road speed..........what do you reckon 85mph sound ok? (its a 1275)
      b  Maximum power engine speed I was thinking 6500rpm ?

Q17 Date engine was made....is the donor V5 sufficient as proof ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Please only respond If you have already had experience in this area as its getting a bit near the sva deadline for getting knocked back by vosa

Cheers Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay axle weights, they will actually weigh it on the test, but for some good figures use the ones in HERE use 300 & 420Kgs & 720Kgs respectively, I actually put slightly lower numbers so it comes out at 710Kgs only so it gives 40Kgs for a dolly or A-frame so you can legally tow it.

For model I have just put Freestyle

Maximum road speed to 85mph is good, think I actually put 80mph, it is based on a standard Mini so somewhere around that is about right.

Maximum power seems a bit high at 6.5k I would go with 5.5k the only thing this really effects is the noise level which is taken at 2/3rds maximum revs (iirc)

Hope that helps

Alan...

Angel Boy

Phaeton":1g3ip41w said:
Maximum power seems a bit high at 6.5k I would go with 5.5k the only thing this really effects is the noise level which is taken at 2/3rds maximum revs (iirc)

Alan...

Bit of a game you can play here as the noise level test is meant to be at maximum power, but if this isn't available then 2/3rds maximum revs is the measure.  I have known builders to state the maximum revs to be "a lot" lower then max and either stop the accelorator pedal from achieving max or adjusting the carb so it doesn't give maximum even though the pedal may be on the floor in case the max revs gets tested.  Their is also something about the microphone being at an angle away from the outlet etc etc.  Up shot being that if you can have the exhaust exit pointing to the floor, then it is difficult to get the mic at the exact postion.  This applies more to seven type kits then ours as the outlet is quite high off the floor, but if noise level is a real worry, then this could be an option depending on your silencer.  The other is push a restrictor up the exhaust and fish it out after you have passed.  I know Robin Hood supplied a metal disc with three legs on that you push into the outlet and with a wire coat hanger, you could fish it out afterwards.

Andy

Mini Mad Max

Hi Jamie,
Just got some useful info from research, If you are using a metro gearbox with 13 inch wheels, at 5500rpm in fourth gear the topspeed will be 105.6mph. With an earlier gearbox off a 1275gt with 13 inch wheels, at 5500rpm in fourth gear the topspeed will be 99.55mph. Give me engine type and size of wheels and max revs and i can work anything out for you :D.
As for the sound thing thats handy andy! LOL.
I will have to come back to this when i do the dreaded IVA.
Hope this helps.
Max

nw208

Jamie,

It sounds like you are at the same build stage as me. I tried to contact my local vosa centre for advice (Liverpool) from the VOSA website. It appears that Liverpool Test centre no longer exists.

I then phoned the VOSA helpline, which I have to admit took nearly an hour, as they are having "technical difficulties with their phone system" eventually I got around to speaking to the SVA section leader (Jane)who apologised for the inaccuracies on the website and has given me a direct line to the SVA application section.

She has advised me that due to the deadline for the sva approaching, they will not be accepting applications for the sva after February 28th in order to give the sva centres a chance to complete all tests before april.

Direct line to Mike Budd at VOSA SVA Apllications- 01792 454 225

I hope that this helps- good luck

JAMIE B.

Thanks for your input guys, this helps me out a bit.

Alan, doesnt the car being towed by the A frame have to be motd and taxed? I had thought about using an a frame but there seem to be so many legal issues out there. One thing springs to mind though, if vosa weigh your car and it exceeds your estimate, will they force you to trailer it home ? Im struggling to find anyone with a car transporter up here and my nearest sva test centre is 125 miles away.

NW208 Thanks for the direct line number, I take it youve tryed it? Does Mike Budd seem like quite an approachable guy or was it only Jane you spoke to? (no offence Jane)

Im thinking about phoning vosa and see if I can put March as my test date on my application, I dont know how they will take that.

Cheers Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
JAMIE B.":130sze45 said:
Alan, doesnt the car being towed by the A frame have to be motd and taxed? I had thought about using an a frame but there seem to be so many legal issues out there.

There are effectively are two occasions when an A-frame can be used.
1. When a vehicle is disabled through a fault, the vehicle can be removed to a place of repair. Under these circumstances the vehicle must be taxed & tested
2. Where the combined gross weight of the towed vehicle & A-frame is less than 750Kgs it then becomes an unbraked trailer & towed as such.

One thing springs to mind though, if vosa weigh your car and it exceeds your estimate, will they force you to trailer it home ?

Not going to happen, those numbers are tried & tested, I've taken 3 buggies down before on a dolly & never had any problems.

Im struggling to find anyone with a car transporter up here and my nearest sva test centre is 125 miles away.

I'll get you some pictures of the A-frame at the weekend when it's light if you want? All I have done is on the bottom arm mounting bolts I have made a U shaped bracket out of 3 pieces of 30x5mm flat bar. Welding 2 pieces at right angles to make the U shape, these will be left on the buggy permanently. They are 40mm apart & have a 12mm hole in them. The actual A frame is 25mm box with 12mm ID tube put through it & welded in place to take the 12mm bolts to connect them to the bracket. They extend forward past the nose cone & then across to each other, from the middle a 50x50mm box comes forward with the tow hitch attached. There is some extra bracing in to stop any twisting

NW208 Thanks for the direct line number, I take it youve tryed it? Does Mike Budd seem like quite an approachable guy or was it only Jane you spoke to? (no offence Jane)

If that's the same guy I spoke to when they refused to give me a SVA test because I hadn't sent enough proof, he seemed okay on the phone.

Im thinking about phoning vosa and see if I can put March as my test date on my application, I dont know how they will take that.
Cheers Jamie

All i did was put my forms in & when Nottingham phoned me for my appointment I just said I wanted 1st week in February & we then agreed a date. Just put your test station on the form & put the date as ASAP, you can always explain that since the forms went in you have had a problem & need more time to complete, but I'm sure that won't be necessary. I've always found the chickens at Swansea are pencil pushers the guys at the testing stations are real people, found that even when we used to MOT the old horsebox, common sense often prevailed.

Just remember completed forms must be with VOSA before the 28th February

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Alan, how far did you travel with the a frame and buggy and did it steer ok unaided ?

Definetly would be a better move for me becuase I could rattle an a frame together for very little money, but Im still very worried about legal implications especially at 125 miles each way!

Also my buggy may tip the scales a little because certain aspects of it have been somewhat over engineered, I could always half fill the tank and short out fuel guage terminals  :eek:

Would appreciate a photo or two but only if its not too much hassle

Thanks Jamie

Angel Boy

Jamie,
Does that make it Aberdeen as your test centre then?  If so give us a wave as you pass by on the A96  ;D

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Jamie,

So far not used the A-frame, hopefully will be doing this Sunday, that'll be a 200 mile round trip. I normally use a dolly, but the real owner has taken it back after about 3 years LOL. With that I have towed 'proper' cars all over the country which is technically illegal & never been stopped. Also taken 3 buggies on 5 occasions into VOSA's yard for SVA's & retests including talking to Traffic Inspectors & nothing has been said.

There was a good post on Danny's Blitz forum about it, not sure if it's still there, I'll try to find it & post the link if it's still valid.

Here are some photo's I've taken tonight, none of them of it actually attached to the buggy as it's outside & dark.

Anything else just shout.

Edit:- Just found the old post OLD BLITZ

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Thanks Alan for all your help, thats certainly got me thinking about using an a frame, that would be one less worry because Ive no idea of anyone up here thats willing to part with their car transporter trailer, never mind finding a decient motor to tow it. Certainly cant see on that link any mention of mot or tax being a legal requirement for the towed vehicle. The only other main issue up here is the quantity of salt on the road, will make a fair mess of my buggy, not to mention stone chips created by the towing car, I suppose thats the trade off for saving a few quid !

Hi Andy, I'll toot the horn at 5am as Im hitting the Inverurie bypass, just to wake you up. Damned sure Ill not be tugging a buggy in the Granite city rush hour  :D

nw208

Jamie,

I did speak to Mike Budd in the first instance, he passed me over to Jane to eat some humble pie on behalf of VOSA.

Angel Boy

When I built my Robin Hood a few years ago, I just drove it to the test centre.  Have the rules changed around doing this now as this was my plan when I'm ready?  It had an MOT and was insured on the chasis number.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Doesn't need to be MOT'd in fact I would advise against it, now it's all computerised once it's MOT'd you will have to do it each year. But as long as you have it insured on the chassis number, have the letter with you to say you are going to SVA it is legal to drive it there. Whether you want to is another matter, mine is at 8:30 week Monday (2nd Feb) unknown engine, not even driven up & down road  yet so even though it's only 26 miles not confident enough to drive there.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Ran out of petrol so gave me an excuse to try out the A-frame, went very well pulled easily with no problems. Only thing is it's that narrow I couldn't see it behind me unless I was going round a corner. Only other thing is you can't turn going backwards very easily. We live in a cul-de-sac so drove all the way up to the hammerhead turned & then tried to get it to turn going backwards like a trailer, nope front wheels go wrong way LOL. But front end is that light I just carried on pushing & it went anyway, so every pleased. I left the ignition key in the normal running position & then isolated the battery with my big red key. Got a trailer board on there at the moment but I think I'll wire a towing socket in permanently & then make a lead up with a male to male & use the buggy's lights.

Alan...

Angel Boy

Phaeton":3sviuctz said:
Doesn't need to be MOT'd in fact I would advise against it, now it's all computerised once it's MOT'd you will have to do it each year. But as long as you have it insured on the chassis number, have the letter with you to say you are going to SVA it is legal to drive it there. Whether you want to is another matter, mine is at 8:30 week Monday (2nd Feb) unknown engine, not even driven up & down road  yet so even though it's only 26 miles not confident enough to drive there.

Alan...

Cool, that's ok then.  Hear what you are saying about the MOT, but I figure it is a legal way to test drive before you go for your SVA.  I took the very long way to the MOT station last time.  It was 1.5 miles away but took 50 minutes to get there.  I got lost officer!!  ;D

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Angel Boy":bqvad6rm said:
but I figure it is a legal way to test drive before you go for your SVA. 
Andy

No in stupid VOSA/DVLA rules, you can legally drive to a prearranged SVA test, as long as you have 3rd party insurance, you can then legally drive it home, or to & from a place where the repairs are to be carried, again as long as they are prearranged appointments. However once it's passed the SVA & you have arrived back home, it is a very very grey area whether you can then legally drive it to a DVLA office so it can be inspected prior to being registered.

Alan...

HolyCount

The way I understood it was that after SVA, assuming a pass, it had to be trailered (or, as we have discovered, possibly towed) to the DVLA office for registration. Alternatively get them to visit you !!