Weight of 1275 freestyle funbuggy

Teifion57

Has anyone ever weighed their buggy please,I’m on holiday and want to design a hydronic platform to take me buggy behind my rv,I’m unable to get any details as I’m away for 6 months,you are very knowledgable and I know you will have the answers

Phaeton

Staff member
Presumably to be legal you're not really interested in what the buggy actually weighs but the gross, which for mine was registered as 725Kgs, deliberately rated ro be under 750Kgs

wagon_1.0

Clever - I didn't think of that.

Think mine was 300kg front and 550kg rear on the IVA, with a not small inspector sitting in side it.

I'd be surprised if it was that much, from recent activities, the hubs inc disc and caliper / drum and arms are about 20KG a corner, 998 about 120KG so say with tyres etc you'd be up to 250-300KG in running gear, 350-400 by the time you add the frame then depending on what you have done with "the other shite" like panels, lights, seats you could be up to 5-570 i'd say.

I'm thinking the other way now, and apart from adding miles of CDS at enormous expense, my new 998 is 75kg, replacing steel with ally panels, replacing heaving quality mirroes and lights with cheap shit plastic, using a alloy fuel tank etc etc, i'm hoping i can get below 400kg :)

IIRC, if you can get below 400KG you can get a "quad" IVA, which again, IIRC is less strict than a passenger vehicle one

wagon_1.0

Wonder how correct this is:
Mk 1 Saloon (Rubber Cone Suspension): 587 kg
Mk3 Saloon Mini 1000cc (Manual Transmission): 638 kg
Mini Cooper 1.3i 1991-2000: 690 kg*

is a freestyle really that heavy?! with no glass and no comfort?

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't get confused with weight & weight ;D

It depends if you are talking about the actual weight of the vehicle or the mass weight of the vehicle, the mass weight is calculated roughly by adding the actual physical weight, then adding 95Kgish for each seat, then all the fluids & half a tank of fuel

My freestyle actually weighed not much over 300Kgs without the extras taken into account.

Teifion57

Thanks phaeton ,the weight is unlade without passengers and no luggage but will add 30 for safety when I calcolate the hydronic platform frames etc,it’s just to awkward to tow on a Trailor as the length of my rv is 12 m,and illegal to tow buggy on an A frame in some parts of Europe ,so thought I’d design a hydronic platform to lot it 1m in the air behind my rv,