Wheel Thread!

wagon

OK everyone!

Looking for inspiration so....

Post pic of your wheels with details like what size/offset and tyres you have!

Go!

Buggybloke

not sure of the offset, but I was running steel 8-spoke 13" wheels, with 185/60 Mud+Snow tyres on (all originally KINGPIN make, now just fronts are KINGPIN Mud+Snow, -rears wore out, fronts getting low). Am changing to 205/60/13 road treaded tyres, on same wheels, as they were so, so cheap, (£156, for all 4, fitted and balanced!). I have some Hillman Imp steels, 12", which I'm gonna get widened, and fitted with 12" quad bike -type road legal, (if possible), mud tyres, if not, just dumper type ones. This way I can enjoy best of both worlds, - the 205's for road use and light green-laning, and the 12" dumper/quad ones for more serious off-road use, except trials, as I understand they have to be road-type tread. Also at the moment, I'm using 5mm spacers. Pictures will follow soon...

RichardG

I have Morris Minor 14 inch wheels with 155 x 80 tyres. Toyo S310 tyres are standard road legal tyres but have a nice open block tread pattern. Narrow tyres are supposed to be better for trials use - better at cutting through the mud. The 14 inch Morris wheels have a good offset and give extra ground clearance.

Good for trials but not so good on the road.

Richard

Mini Mad Max

I'm thinking of selling my 13" Prospoke alloys (they look kinda like allycats). They come with a set of new bridgestone potenza's on them. When I bought them i was told they were only used once and you can see this where there is scoring here and there on the tread, but still loads of tyre left. They're 5.5" deepish dish gold with pollished rims.
DSCF2479.jpg

Reason for sale is my final drive is 4.3:1 so have come to the conclusion that on the road 15" wheels would make the revs lower when on the motorway for cruising.
Max

Laner

Hi Richard
Love the look of your buggy
Am I right in thinking that morris minor wheels are the same pcd as a mini. They are exactly what I'd like.
Any idea where I'd get some?
many thanks, Robin.

Phaeton

Staff member
Freestyle sat on 15" BMW Mini wheels

DSC00024.jpg

Comparing 13" Mini Starmags with 15" BMW's

13x7sideBMW.jpg

Mini 13", think they are running 175/50x13 but not 100%

13x7rearside.jpg

13x7frontside.jpg

These are mini 12" rims with standard tyres 165/75x12 possibly

12x5rearside.jpg

12x5frontside.jpg

Comparing 13" left & 12" right

13x7side12x5.jpg

Alan...

RichardG

The Morris Minor wheels have the same PCD as the Mini so fit straight on with no mods. They are very narrow so 145 or 155 tyres is about as wide as you can go. They were made before radial tyres were common and I read somewhere that its a good idea to use inner tubes as radial tyres can roll off the rim under hard cornering but I have not had any problems so far.

I found them on e-bay, seem to come along every now and again.

I got the tyres from Camskill http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s381p1747

Max,

I am now using a 4.1 diff and its working very well off road with the 14 inch wheels but it does tend to rev quite high when cruising along on 50 - 60 so I would think you are right about moving to bigger wheels with a 4.3 diff ratio.

Richard