Cedric's Rebuild Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

Is that a splitter in the bottom picture under the nose cone? I always wondered what sort of detachable aerodynamic mods could be attached to enhance the buggy's road use :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes it is, I still have it, although it is no longer connected to the nose cone, but I can see the row of pop rivets where it was attached.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
me and dave named the spoiler a frog catcher...lol

damn will be awesome to see this buggy back to its glory as this was the best example of a freestyle I have ever seen...

you better do this build proud :)

Mini Mad Max

I have to agree, It was a top class job, like whoever built radar's old buggy, a lot of obvious attention to detail and time spent making it right.... It deserves to be put back to its former glory :)
Does anyone know if the splitter actually did much or did it do fudge all? I'm just weary that the light weight and short wheel base lay out leads to a very twitch ride, so was wondering if any aerodynamic mods would actually help??
Max

Steves2580

WHAT NO PICTURES Alan??
Not the gardening!
Cedric's engine mounts issues!
Is that the only problem you've come across??

Steve ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Steve for no picture just really busy, Sunday this side of the hills was a complete washout, it never stopped raining all day. Then last night the Lag had been in for test & failed on a broken coil spring, so that came off, tonight I finished off a house alarm & then came back & put the new spring on. Maybe tomorrow night I might be allowed a couple of hours, it will be good if the new mounts arrive. Ordered them from one place over the weekend & then at 5:20 Monday I got an email to say stock was wrong & they couldn't send them, although they are still advertising that they have 10 left in stock, so ordered from somewhere else. Hoping once they stop the engine moving it will cure the problem as you can select all gears whilst stationary, the gearbox has already been fully reconditioned.

But other than that, it needs front arch brackets repairing/making front indicators fitting, handbrake comes a long long way up, then a general tidy up, new battery & I think I'll take it down for an MOT

Alan...

Steves2580

Phaeton":3aljjple said:
Sorry Steve for no picture just really busy, Sunday this side of the hills was a complete washout, it never stopped raining all day. Then last night the Lag had been in for test & failed on a broken coil spring, so that came off, tonight I finished off a house alarm & then came back & put the new spring on. Maybe tomorrow night I might be allowed a couple of hours, it will be good if the new mounts arrive. Ordered them from one place over the weekend & then at 5:20 Monday I got an email to say stock was wrong & they couldn't send them, although they are still advertising that they have 10 left in stock, so ordered from somewhere else. Hoping once they stop the engine moving it will cure the problem as you can select all gears whilst stationary, the gearbox has already been fully reconditioned.

But other than that, it needs front arch brackets repairing/making front indicators fitting, handbrake comes a long long way up, then a general tidy up, new battery & I think I'll take it down for an MOT

Alan...

Simples ;)
Not too much work then!

Spring go on ok?

Weather was crap here too on Sunday, I had to help with the big shop :(

Steve.

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":3ldmxcd3 said:

Alan...
I know Ben used to give cedric some stick on the farm land, and I know how easily mini engine steadies break, especially as they weren't designed for the shocks and bumps of offroad use. Have you checked all the steadies are okay? Not loose or broken bracket etc? As the engine shouldn't move much at all with two gearbox steadies and the top steady that mounts to the buggy frame. Perhaps lack of steadies lead to dead engine mounts ??? I only say this as most the steadies that i removed from my donor car had been broken and welded back up, and putting the engine in the other day, it feels rather sturdy now with 3 steadies, and I'm yet to bolt on my ultimate engine steady!
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve,

Spring went on okay apart from the compressors taking a bite out of my leg, one slipped & flew off as the spring went in the other direction, I fudgin hate doing coil springs, keep saying I'm going to buy a hydraulic compressor one with the big forks so the spring can't move. But at £110 for something that I may use only once a year that I can spend on something else, however one day when I'm a few fingers, an eye missing I'll go buy one.

Max,

Must admit Bumble has 4 steadies, standard top, standard bottom on OS then ultimate on top NS & bottom gearbox on NS. On Cedric there is only a standard top & bottom OS, did give them a passing look but nothing major, might have another look tonight, although my mounts haven't arrived  :mad:  :(

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

You need to make friends with a local garage that has a hydraulic spring compressor... so much easier than winding them down with the mechanical kind! :)
Mr bumble has the same set up of steadies than me then, should be pretty solid :) Don't both standard steadies act on the flywheel end of the engine? If this is so, then if the engine mount that died was at the radiator end then I could understand that the shear forces acting on the engine mount could be caused by the engine twisting due to lack of steady at the rad end. I hope the engine mounts arrive shortly and aren't an absolute pig to fit!
Max

Mini Mad Max

Jeeees you were lucky with what came on it!! 4 pot metro calipers up front, Spax krypton adjustable shockers :O You were a jammy barsteward to get a freestyle with all those bells and whistles for free!! Hope all goes well when it comes to an MOT! :)