ChaosMS's Ultralite Buggy Build Discussion Thread

Danny

Administrator
Oh it will be stripped down :)

I sm looking at buying sandblasting equipment... but not sure about that one

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

Guys, just finished the updated build website for the buggy over at http://www.chaosmotorsport.com its been offline for quite a while since a little script monkey hacker wrecked it (Not just mine but approx 30k sites all running the same CMS platform) Anyway if you get chance take a look and give feedback please.

"Its Crap" is a valid comment, however a little un-helpful !! ;D

Rich

ChaosMS

Cheers Lilspeed, i have been a slacker most of last year so thought i had better pull my finger out!!!!

ChaosMS

Hi Max, thanks mate much appreciated, Done by Easter though...with my track record.... ha ha ha ;D - don't forget I am a slacker!!!

All joking apart let me know if I can help mate :)

ChaosMS

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that but a little frustration has set in over the last few weeks, all because of a tin of paint! - I used up the 2 US Quart size tins of POR15 Hardnose Light Red painting the chassis but I still needed more to add a second coat of paint to a few areas and also paint up all the bolt on parts like lamp brackets etc, so I got in contact with the supplier Ive used in the UK (Frost) and they sent out a tin of paint - I couldn't get a large tin at the moment so had to buy the tiny pot to put me on with until they got more in from the US, When the Tin arrived it was not the correct Red (Dark not Light as requested) A quick call to the supplier and I was told that thats the only red they do!! - I said no.. you also do a Light Red, Answer: No that's the only one we do NOW ... Fine I say well its no use to me so you can have it back (Which they sorted very Quickly), Another call to the Manufacturers in the US, only to be told that they have stopped production of that colour!!!! - AWESOME

Anyway to cut a long story short, after many hours of trawling the internet looking for another similar paint that would match what I already have (A 2 Pack Poly brush paint) I eventually found SML (http://www.smlpaintsandcoatings.co.uk) And a very nice chap (Eddie) sorted out a replacement 2 Pack ultra tough High Gloss brush paint (Hardtop Flexi) - not only is it a perfect match (thanks to the fact SML mix the paint) but its a fraction of the cost of the Hardnose 1 US Quart which I think is around 2 pints of hardnose was £48 and 5 Litres of SML's paint (Minimum order quantity) was £95 delivered!!

So I have plenty of paint now for the additional parts and also for any mods or touch up work in the future!!

ChaosMS

Yeah all the RAL colours and the BS ones too - so hundreds!!! - they will send you the colour charts then you just match it up!

Lilspeed

Looking brilliant Rich!

Very much hoping to seeing a video of this hacking across a field with that awesome suspension getting a workout! >:D

ChaosMS

Cheers Mate - you and me both!!!

I have built the pulley guard this weekend and also one of the rear wheel arch mounts!! so just the other 3 arch mounts to make and she is finished, I cannot wait ;D

wagon

Great update - the buggy is looking great!

Nut covers and trim all round :)

This is superb:
ChaosMS":30maevjz said:
Also re-built and painted the rod to cable gear change adapter box
5a1163ba-5c10-4b77-ead7-5ae8837b62b2.jpg

81077e18-fd70-4203-ea0a-819be14ad953.jpg

baf06808-ef08-4cfa-dc7c-f62d51df8b5c.jpg

fcf029df-2c02-4bf8-a1f9-6c10abc520e6.jpg

I saw in your early posts that it took a lot of design - have you got any tips? I'm going to need to make me something similar!

Cheeers!

ChaosMS

Thanks Guys, Wagon i can do better than that i made up drawings of the final unit, including the cables needed to drive it, I will put them together for you and send em over for you, there is enough adjustment built into the design to make it cope with most shaft change boxes I think - you will just need to change the mounting points to something right for your gearbox!

Danny, - If I dont make the shows next year it wont be because the buggy isnt finished! - i have now finished the pulley cover and fitted it (i will post some photos) and I have also built one and a half sets of mountings for the rear wheel arches, i should have the rest finished this weekend, and that concludes ALL fabrication work!! - I then need to go round the entire buggy double checking everything and making sure it complies with the IVA rules! (adding covers and edging where needed) then im requesting the test date!! - cannot wait

wagon

Wow that would be smashing!! cheeers!

After my IVA, I would recommend opening on page one of the manual, and standing in front of the buggy - and work through to the last page - especially in the section with your sphere and radii tool :)

wagon

Are those covers just mild steel?

I saw something similar on I think a Bug engine once and always wanted some for my buggy - look much tidier than the engine cover.

My rear reflectors are still attached with haphazardly cut bits of wood in a wedge that I forgot I needed to attach on the morning of my retest :D
(I failed as mine weren't vertical.)

Any joy with those gear plans?