Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
Well this arrived today :)

abe3a9yn.jpg

And i managed to finish my frame to take the mg shell out of the garage...

Welds improved a lot now...

2yta5uzu.jpg

era2y3em.jpg

a6u2upen.jpg

Tomorrow i hope to get the rest of the mg stripped and then i can get rid of her :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Looking at the state of the asphalt those wheels are going to be fun with weight on.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
So the mgf is finally stripped... i have everything off it now and so i am ready for the scrap man to come and get her...

Also, this is the pedal box.... might be able to get that to work... what do you think?

upu3ypy3.jpg

9emyvynu.jpg

yqe6ygen.jpg

hugy5a3u.jpg

With a bit of luck i ahould have garage cleared and then i can finally start work on the k series engine...

Danny

Administrator
MGF shell gets picked up mon/tueday next week :)

Another Freestyle makes it to my unit on thursday :-\ 1 out 1 in... Looking forward to chop the back off and make some very cool mods and hopefully have a rolling chassis by the end of the year :)

Need to get my flat finished first... :-\ well at least crack on with it :D

Danny

Administrator
Bit of an update for you :)

Well yesterday the scrap man was coming to pick up the shell so instead of plastering my bathroom I decided to potter about in the garage and get some more done on the buggy while I wait.

I decided to push the shell out to the main road so it made the mgf easier to find :)

And then they arrived... she looks kinder sad on there...

With the shell gone I was able to start organising the garage a bit and potter about a bit more. I decide that before i go too mad is to loosen off the wheel nuts and also strip the front subframe and generally find more stuff to sell.

After about 20 mins the front subframe was stripped and I had the front hubs all removed and what not :) The wheels took a bit of removing but still they came off...

I then thought I would do the same for the rear subframe and get the wheels loosened and generally start looking at what should be removed and just get familiar.

The first locking wheel nut came off but the the locking wheel nut was showing signs of wear and I wondered if it would survive the last wheel.... you now can guess what happens..... yup it did this....

That was a great thing to happen... I sat there thinking bugger now what.... after smacking the wheel nut with a screw driver I decided I needed to find a way of repairing the wheel nut and out came the Tig welder... well, I welded the lugs back in... badly but after aligning the key with the nut and a gentle smack with a hammer I was able to remove the wheel nut.... wahooooo I love my tig welder :)

So at the end of the day I have worked out I need to strip the rear subframe and get it prepped and painted I think I am going to paint the rear subframe the same colour as the chassis and I am going to see if I can get the engine painted blue... but it is an alloy block so not sure how that is going to work....

I have another freestyle arriving on friday for me to butcher and make a few mods to :) Cant wait :)

Danny

Administrator
Well the MGF is gone and so is a lot of the parts :) I only have a few things left on ebay and a number of items I am waiting for people to collect but all in all a vast majority of it is gone and I have made a nice tidy profit :)

So I have started stripping the chassis down and cutting bits off today :)

We are making good progress....

It was very scary to make the first few cuts but once i started there is very little chance of going back :-\

I roughly cut the back off with every intention on going back over them and cleaning all the excess metal off :)

I also cut the battery tray of and then the suspension mounts...

Tomorrow I should have the welds cleaned off and then I can start aligning the subframe up to see how she is going to look :D

I also plan on having a good sort out of teh garage and getting it back to being clean and tidy :) Its a bit of a mess at the moment :-\

Danny

Administrator
I am planning on doing coil over conversion and I dont need the battery in the front ;-)

UNless you see something I was not meant to chop off... :-\

Danny

Administrator
Well today was a random day... I had a chap dropping by to pick up the last few MGF bits and so I decided to spend the rest of the day tinkering.

I grinded off the rest of the suspension mounts and then just puffed in some primer just to keep the rust at bay :-D

I should have shut the garage and gone for a beer but decided to stay and try and get the engine out of the subframe.... what an absolute ballache... I spent an hour trying to get the driveshafts out of the gear box and trying to lift the engine with the crane a big crowbar and I managed to pop the driveshaft but it was a bitch to get it actually out of the gearbox... then there was all the gearbox oil I forgot to drain bugger!!

I then realised there was an engine steady holding the engine to the subframe... that came off easy enough and with lots of swearing a bit of brute force the engine was free...

In hindsight I really should have stripped the hubs off and took the driveshafts out that way... tomorrow I will have a good look and see if I did any damage to the shafts... if I have no big deal i will buy some new ones :-\

I need to strip teh subframe and get it prepped for paint... not sure how I am going to do that... its fairly rusty...

Danny

Administrator
On a side note I am bidding on an MGTF subframe... I am not sure if I can be bothered to redo everything when the hydragas things screw up :-\

So I need to think about shocks and springs for the back.... alan do you fancy weighing the back of your buggy :D

Danny

Administrator
SO after a sleepless night pondering about what I want to do whether its the TF or the F subframe and a quick call to Alan today (again) and just as luck would have it I had a call from someone that has a complete TF subframe... so I have bitten the bullet and bought it...

It arrives tomorrow (yes Sunday) and hopefully its in good condition. As with the springs and being too still I am just going to suck it and see... The current set up on teh buggy is solid so it may make no difference...

I was meant to be at my flat today but really was not in the mood so decided to come back and have a nap.... I wake up at 5 and thought bugger... went out and saw the oil slick I had created from that damn gearbox oil...

A few handfulls of plaster and I was sweeping it up :)

A few random shots before I put her away

I decided to align the F subframe just to get a feel for what its going to look like...

Danny

Administrator
MGF Subframe arrived today... yup thats right another MGF one... FFS.... the search continues :-\

Danny

Administrator
Mgtf subframe arrived today wahooo. ..... not so soon.... its missing a hub, a brake calliper, adjustable track arm and the top suspension arm.... ffs

Danny

Administrator
on a side note I had a response from POR15 about spraying orange :)

Danny, Make sure the frame is down to bare metal or rust. Properly, clean and prep the surface with our Cleaner Degreaser and Metal Prep. Each product is sprayed on individually, kept wet 10-15 minutes then rinsed thoroughly with water and allowed to dry. Once dry brush on 2 thin covering coats of POR-15. Once the POR-15 becomes just dry to the touch apply our Self Etching Primer aerosol. All you need is a dust coat. Then apply your orange paint and clear coat. Our Glisten PC is primarily designed for chrome or polished metal surfaces. I would not have a clear for your application. Thanks, Mike

Danny

Administrator
I have been battling the breakers and hey are going to send what parts they have... FFS so I still need to source a brake caliper, hub, and top suspension arm... wont be using them a gain!

On a side note, I got my compressor working and the shotblaster :) tried it on the subframe...lol no chance :-\ but on the subframe it worked a charm!!

I also ordered the POR15 just need to find a good clear tough lacquer to go over the orange paint... then I will be winning.

THis weekend I am plastering :)

Danny

Administrator
They are sending me one of the parts the rest I now need to source :-(

Cost me an extra £80 to get the other bits... what a ballache!! Left them bad reviews on every platform so that should cost them in the long run!!!

Danny

Administrator
Subframe is now stripped and ready for shot blasting..... took all day to get it stripped and only had half of it.... ffs... what a crock of rotten trash... every bolt needed a breaker bar to losen... I am going to be welding up a lof it I think to make it somewhere near decent!