Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
Some of the bushes look pretty screwed in the donor subframe so looking at replacing them for polybushes.... http://www.autobush.com/MG.htm

The other thing is that I need to use the outer subframe mounts of the subframe because the TF has a bigger rear trailing arm an that clashes with the inside mounts :-\

Radar

Holy crumbs Dan ! when you said you were gonna do this on our Wales trip I thought yeah maybe by next year ...Goddamn you are like a demon on this thing ..keep up the good work mate can't wait to see the finished result

Radar

Danny

Administrator
when i set a challenge or someone says it cant happen i push on and make it happen,,,,

i am also doing a full renovation on 3/4 bed property... the slackers have no excuse

Danny

Administrator
I coated teh subframe today in POR15... this stuff is mental its like a glaze that goes over... I started late and now have to stay up till midnight so I can get the etch primer on... Once that is on I can then go and get some orange paint and get her painted :)

Then I can start putting the componants back on the subframe after everything has been cleaned and repainted... may even powder coat the parts... There is always a powder coating stand at the kit car shows... anyone know what its called?

Danny

Administrator
The subframe is solid now with the POR15 on it and my hands are still black... FFS

I am picking up some 2K tomorrow in orange to get the subframe painted so that I can start assembling it all back together... bit by bit!

My welding is coming along now as well but welding tube is hard work so I need to make something solely out of tube to practice my welding on... My Welds are strong and getting great penetration just not as neat as I would like them... will have some more photos tomorrow no doubt...

My flat is also coming on leaps and bounds and we move in on the 15th december :-\ then its FT on the buggy till thats complete.... hoping by the end of january to have it running... but we shall see

Mini Mad Max

I hope you're wearing a good mask when using that POR15! Must be one that keeps the vapors out. I've just finished a module on thermoset polymers, and polyurethane has Isocyanates in it. Exposure to this will make you asthmatic :O My course has certainly made me more PPE conscious now :p
Max

Danny

Administrator
Lol she is all painted in 2k now looking awesome
b54819ce40d1d73630135710ac87686e.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I have done nothing since painting the subframe and its been nearly a week :-\ i am now slacking!!!

I am working on my renovation project though which is coming along nicely :)

The new poly bushes arrived this week as well so I should start getting the subframe put back together but need to start painting a a few of the parts and get them sorted and looking good :)

I also think my welding is looking alot better now and i am confident they are strong enough to start putting the skills into action and get bits welded on :) The first things to get cut and added will be the wing mirror stalks

Just a small update really but still

Danny

Administrator
Over a month and I have not even stepoed in the garage :-( janusry is going to be very busy month

Danny

Administrator
Well Spent most of day trying to get the rad to go on teh front and it failed miserably...

So in the interest of my sanity.... its going in the back... a lot easier and with a couple of big fans she will be just fine... I hope....

Now I need to suss out where in the back she is going to go...

Radar

try mounting it up hi behind head at that kind of height Dan, I have seen that on a few buggies (not freestyles obviously) and if done right in a nice frame /bracketry it does not look to bad and the air flow is as good as being at the front of the car !

just my 2 cents worth

Radar

ChaosMS

Danny mine is mounted high and also at a slight angle, all the blow off pipes are plumbed out of the way, ive had no issues so far!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Firstly you're being a wimp by not putting it at the front, always like to start my posts off with a few words of encouragement, but if you have decided to wimp out you have multiple alternatives.

Mount it in a somewhat vertical plane somewhere just behind the roll bar, remember you also need to be able to mount the header tank so that the water level in it is above the height of the radiator. If you mount that on the passenger side then you won't get scolded, as that is likely to be the only place water would gush out, any leaks in the radiator will only be minor initially. It will be well in the airflow, but will still have fans to assist, as you don't have the legally required interior mirror rear vision will not be an issue.

Mount it in the plane of the sloping tubes going to the back of the buggy to hold the subframe directly above the engine, it will still get airflow although restricted but fans will still pull air through, it might not look quite as intrusive, it will still block your vision that you don't have, but you will probably have to remove it each time you want to do anything on the engine & you will lose the option of luggage space.

Mount it at the rear at the same height as the engine, it won't be in the airflow, it will certainly need assistance of the fans even with normal running, it will be on the 'cold' side of the engine away from the manifold, you maybe able to scoop some air down to it.

Mount 1 radiator either side of the of the buggy F1 style & build them into pods, they will be in the airflow & can be fan assisted when required, you could even duct them out the back in a blown diffuser but not sure of the legality of that now with Bernie.

Mount 1 radiator either side of the buggy at either end of the engine, you will have to build scoops if you want them to be in the airflow, but with fans pulling the air in they should be okay

Failing all of that MTFU & work out how to put it at the front.

Alan...