Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
With the rear hoop made and ready to chop down and tack I am next week going to concentrate on getting the chassis mounts on the chassis made with the hope to get the subframe attached to the purple chassis this week then I can start making brackets for the radiator and then I can start the mamounth task of the wiring and also getting a fuel tank fabricated... I have a shed load of work to do but seeing as I am pretty much retired now I have time on my hands :)

Danny

Administrator
Its now tuesday.... the week has really started :)

Need to start getting the fuel tank measured up asap as time is ticking :-\ I need to find a fuel sender that I can use for the tank and hopefully by teh end of this week my chassis will be attached to the subframe :)

Should really start coming on leaps and bounds this week :)

daz

mate I think your completely bonkers but am really looking forward to the end result ;) you sure like to keep busy, good luck!

Danny

Administrator
Started doing a bit today... late start as I was actually working :-/

4e5a18660be887f05dfd787fd0adfa63.jpg

b228a369454c4d17dc4bced34aff787d.jpg

e0d1ae1b1549ce3168c4c09258b154d0.jpg

9d0592b40eb8ab89b41b65a9ec2b9540.jpg

I have now made the lower mounts that weld onto the chassis but didn't get any photos of them :-/

Tomorrow is another late start but I aim to have the mounts welded to the chassis and I will start looking at the down tubes..

Every time I look at the engine I start wondering about what there is left to do :-/

Danny

Administrator
Be glad to get most of the welding finished this week as I am keen to start putting this together again...

Danny

Administrator
slow start to the day, in fact I did not get in the garage till 16:30 and then had a couple of hours before I had someone round to pick up an engine :)

I have had to re make an engine mount as I drill the holes in the wrong place which was desperately annoying but needs must :-(

I am in the garage from 11 tomorrow (friday) so should have the lower mounts welded in and possibly have the down tubes welded in :) fingers crossed :)

Danny

Administrator
Today was a desperately slow day I has a few too many beers last night so today was not going to go well...

Welded a plate on and then realised it was a stupid way to do the job so then spent the rest of the day grinding it off....

Mounted the new engine mounts tacked and welded them down 2 sides....

Decided that to weld the underneath I should lift the chassis up with the engine crane and weld....

Lifted chassis up and then ran out of tig gas.... that was the end of the day....

Spoke to Alan and he enlightened me to how long I don't have to get this finished.... ffs

Danny

Administrator
Today was a day running about... had a meeting this morning about an advertising deal then it was a case of getting some more metal and more gas for the tig...

Managed to weld up the rear lower mounts and they are now mega solid so that's good :)

Then ground off the battery tray on the front to start getting the radiator made up...

But I can't see how it bolts.. there are locating holes but no threads in there so not sure if it just needs a self tapper... any ideas?
c0ff32275579ddbb5a470b2d9c1e052a.jpg

c982caec904b82e6aa784bbe986012e3.jpg

fc0eabfd9de686cc07608155fa2fd46d.jpg

''Left a Bit''

Those plastic pegs usually go into a rubber boss with something clamping the radiator against them, either by pegs on the side/rear or foam strips top and bottom on the core.

Danny

Administrator
So today was a slow day but I was working on the radiator end today... made the frame the mounts and the fans arrived so started to makes the lugs for them....

7774086e79e024fb3268755281329edb.jpg

Strangely though I did not take a pic of the frame... this will be mounted on the front of the buggy by close of tomorrow and I should have the rear hoop cut and properly welded up :)

Danny

Administrator
frame made up and started to weld mounting points to the chassis... but the chassis was not welding very well at all for some reason :-(

At the rate I am going I am seriously doubting it will be making it to stoneleigh.... got sooooo much left to do and having to fabricate everything is taking far far far far tooo long and I still have teh dreaded wiring to suss out...

I had a few quotes to make the fuel tank and its about £180.... I am thinking about using the old behind the seat tank and waiting till the car is finished before getting another one made...

Danny

Administrator
Today I was in a meeting that lasted almost all day (sucks) so only got a couple of hours in but got the rad mount tacked on....

2a98822124619872ba8b1b73fcb53421.jpg

26c4e1c1effa91fe53220a224b8fad43.jpg

981ebf8055abf7c69129ba81354258b8.jpg

d0971cf3b58dfa640fe92d1bffe929b9.jpg

ce15f40e6692d0199b80e0d4f50ad277.jpg

Got a lot still left to do though... I am away for the Weekend...

Having issues in the sense I can't find any 90 bends from 38mm erw tube :-( can't find anyone to bend the tube I have... been passed around 4 different places now and each one crushed it :-(

Danny

Administrator
Managed to get a few hours on the buggy today and finished welding g up the radiator bracket up.... wahoo ooooh

I also caught my knuckle on my finger with the angle grinder which hurts like hell. ..

Monday I am travelling back from Wales so will spend Monday night tidying the garage... then Tuesday I will start welding the rear of the buggy up with a hope of getting that finished by Wednesday. ..

Then get the gear linkage sorted out...

Then start looking at wiring and getting the chassis re painted...

I also ordered the hub adapters so they should be here next week..

The fuel tank...

My old one is possibly going to be used... the outlets come out of the top of the tank.. not sure of the mgf fuel return will work...

Danny

Administrator
a long long day on the buggy today...

Had to go to the welding supplies shop and get some more tig wire and tungstens... takes forever in the morning to get there... finally started at 10am and got the rear hoop chopped down to size and then tacked in place... I then proceeded to weld here up... Welding tube is hard... but got it in the end :)

There were a few bits on the base plates I needed to weld an my OCD was going wild and this took most of the day to get right....

The wire brush on the angle grinder nearly killed me today as it bit and ripped from my hand... hit me in teh nuts then bounced off my knee... yes it bloody hurt!!

Then later on today it was sat on the bench and fired into life and ripped through my gas pipe on the welder... what a nightmare!!

Decided to go out and buy a new one as it has now become a little bit risky!!

Tomorrow I should have the down tubes tacked in place and the engine bolted to the chassis.... I am sure something will come up to throw a spanner in the works... but there is hope!!"!

Danny

Administrator
today was a ground breaking day....

Got the chassis attached to the subframe... It took a bit of work birds mouthing the down tubes in and tacking them and then welding them but I did it :)

I even managed to push her out of the garage to get some photos :)

still got a tonne of stuff to get done and have no idea how I am going to do it but... I am at the very least hopeful that I will get it done...

Only doing half a day on wednesday as I have meetings and on friday I am out all day :-\ but we shall see how it all goes... lots to do and to get done...