Mary's Back!!

Steves2580

Hard day at work today :D

Messed with a couple of tractors, then a quadbike and a Forklift truck, got bored, so I went home ;D

First thing a knew I had a massive pile of bits and a buggy that looks like it's been attacked by a thief!

DSCF3122604.jpg

Fuel tank frame out, modified and chucked in the back of my car to go for paint.
Other guards, body panels and brackets removed and also chucked in the car for paint.

Covered the engine with a couple of pieces of hardboard and did some of the welds that I couldn't get at with the tank in place.

DSCF3132604.jpg

Mary looks very sick at the moment, can't wait to get her painted and back together.

I'll make a list now of what there is still to do!

Finger crossed, hope there's not loads ;)

Steve.

Steves2580

Hi guys,

A couple of days worth of pictures, I'll do tw update so I don't bore you to death ;D

Yesterday, was quite busy.
I got the engine out so I could weld up any of the bits that were missed or I couldn't get at
DSCF3142704.jpg

DSCF3152704.jpg

DSCF3162704.jpg

Rear lifted so I could do all the overhead welding
DSCF3172704.jpg

Rear frame was then cleaned off and prepared for painting
DSCF3182704.jpg

Rolled her out for the painting to be done, my mate who was going to paint her for me was too busy to help, so I sprayed the framework myself with rattle cans, not the best finish, but if she's coming to stoneleigh she has to be clothed
DSCF3192704.jpg

DSCF3202704.jpg

DSCF3212704.jpg

Painted all the little brackets at the same time
DSCF3222704.jpg

I even painted the fuel tank frame
DSCF3232704.jpg

Back into the garage and another day is done
DSCF3242704.jpg

Done for now!

Steve.

Steves2580

Hi guys,

Yesterday was a busy day too!

Early start, I went to work to finish the fuel tank frame, but forgot to take the camera, but this is what I came up with
DSCF3252804.jpg

DSCF3262804.jpg

DSCF3272804.jpg

Before the fuel tank frame could be fitted, I thought it would be a good idea to put all the cables and pipework through.
The first one to be fitted was the clutch pipe, a bit of a nightmare there too, as I took the old pipe work off I stripped the threads :(
I had to take that to work and braze a new fitting to the end, I even changed the fitting size to suit the orginal stuff from Mary.
Before I knew it, I had the brake pipes in too!
DSCF3282804.jpg

DSCF3292804.jpg

Seeing as the sun was shining and I was stuck in the garage, I thought I'd paint the rear panels
DSCF3302804.jpg

DSCF3312804.jpg

The gear cables and the handbrake cables fitted
DSCF3322804.jpg

Fuel tank frame re-fitted and looking very neat
DSCF3332804.jpg

Rad and header tank fitted
DSCF3342804.jpg

Rolled out for the fuel tank to be dropped and plummed in
DSCF3352804.jpg

Rear light pan fitted, with number plate and LEDs
DSCF3362804.jpg

Backed into the garage, seats and seat belts fitted
DSCF3372804.jpg

And that was yesterday, I was shattered but pleased with things ;D

Comments welcome!

Steve ;D

Steves2580

Just a little up-date!

This was Fridays little jobs, first job was to re-fit the rear arches, so to do this I thought I'd work in the sun
DSCF3382904.jpg

Arches fitted then the rear lights on and checked, working well and looking very cool
DSCF3392904.jpg

Tidy up all the loose wires just a load of cable ties around the gear stick, keep the cables away from the gearstick weight
DSCF3402904.jpg

DSCF3412904.jpg

DSCF3422904.jpg

DSCF3432904.jpg

DSCF3452904.jpg

Just the odd little job here and there to do, I'll keep you posted with developments!

Steve.

Steves2580

:( :( GUTTED  :( :(

Took Mary to work on the A frame!

Got her there ok, checked her over.
Plenty of water, a little bit less than I thought should have been in there, but nothing to be worried about!
Checked the oil, tyre pressures, wheel nuts, fuel etc

Started her up, and took her for a quick spin WOW, fast is not in it, 0 - 50 in approximately 250 yards!
Shit thats quick!!
Asked one of the other instructors if he wanted a ride, his body weight made no difference.

Swapped seats with him and off we went again, silly quick, more scary in the passenger side!!

After a couple of laps of the coach park and plant centre, we took her back to the workshop!

Gave her another good looking over, water was fine, but the oil was creamy! F**k F**K F**king F**!!!!

Bastard headgasket must have gone!!

Dragged her back home and started the strip down

DSCF3460405.jpg

DSCF3470405.jpg

Not quite got her stripped enough to find out if it is the headgasket ???

I'll keep you posted on the developments

Steve  :(

Steves2580

Hey guys,

Just a small, upsetting update :(

Got the engine/subframe bolted back to my trailer chassis arangement and took it to work!

Found a lovely quiet area and parked her up with an axle stand under the front of the sumframe
DSCF3480705.jpg

Started the strip down
DSCF3490705.jpg

Trailer frame off, then some of the cable ties off!

I then had to dash home :(

Went back on Sunday afternoon and forgot to take my camera, got most of it stripped, both manifolds came off quite easy!
That got me thinking about what has been said "the engine had it head done at 60k miles", with only 66k showing on the clocks.

Anyway did a little more stripping to find some nasty scoring in the head :(

Got it taken to our head guys for them to assess it :(

They had some disappointing news for me, the head has been done before allright, by some halfwit!
It had been scimmed beyond it's limits, they put it in terms I understood " ITS F**KED STE"

We've got a recon one for you!

Ouch£££££££

Pick up a recon on Wednesday!

Steve ;)

Steves2580

Hi guys,

Well I'm chuffing broke! Might try to sell a kidney or something! The pain from my back pocket is killing me :(

Here is my update for you, she's kind of naked in this first photo, totally stripped
DSCF3501105.jpg

Old head ready for stripping down, need to use the cams and hydraulic tappet cap thingy's, you might be able to see the pitting and scoring if you squint and the screen :D
DSCF3511105.jpg

Inlet manifold and air filter ready for cleaning and re-fitting
DSCF3521105.jpg

Box of bits, kept safe ready for the re-build
DSCF3531105.jpg

Rocker cover, gasket to be removed, cover to be washed off in the parts washer, I was going to put it in the dish washer but I got evils from the misses :D
DSCF3541105.jpg

Dodgy photo of engine mount, that had to be removed to get at the timing belt and pulleys
DSCF3551105.jpg

Totally stripped and waiting for the new parts to arrive
DSCF3561105.jpg

New parts collected, very expensive, hope to sell more bits off the MGF ;)
DSCF3581105.jpg

So that was as far as I'd got by Wednesday evening!

Next up-date shortly ;)

Steve.

Steves2580

Sorry guys, I must appologise about the quality of pictures!
I seam to have pressed something and buggered the last set of pictures and the next!

I managed to stay back at work on Friday night, so I managed to get a little bit more done, started by removing the cams from the old head, washing thme off and re-fitting them into the recon head
DSCF3591405.jpg

Starting to look a little more like a cylinder head than a lump of cast alloy ;)
DSCF3601405.jpg

That was Friday night gone!

This morning (Saturday) was a teaching session, so again I managed to stay a little longer, glad I did really got quite a bit done, head and gasket re-fitted to the engine block
DSCF3611405.jpg

Timing pulleys, new belt, new tensioner and water pump all fitted, engine timing checked and checked again
DSCF3621405.jpg

Thermostat removed, cleaned off, drilled with two 2mm holes (thanks for the other forum link Andy, great info), then re-fitted with new gaskets
DSCF3631405.jpg

Timing cover getting re-fitted, with engine mount
DSCF3641405.jpg

Exhaust manifold re-fitted with new gasket, also got the heat shields back on, the manifold studs were a bit of a pain
DSCF3651405.jpg

Inlet manifold re-fitted again with new gaskets, a little bit fiddley especially getting torque wrench in there
DSCF3661405.jpg

ECU and wiring back into place, getting somewhere near now (I wish)
DSCF3671405.jpg

Ready for the trailer frame to be bolted back on, just dropping the old oil, took out the sump plug and got a lot of water out before the oil followed.
DSCF3681405.jpg

Last picture of the day, engine oild drained.
DSCF3691405.jpg

If I get chance to do anything tomorrow, the trailer frame will be back on and I'll get my rear back home!

As always guys, your comments are very welcome :D

Steve ;D

Steves2580

Just a small update, sorry no pictures!

Good day yesterday! Build some buggy bits (just not mine) but I'm well chuffed with the outcome we had!
If you are wondering what I'm on about, have a look at Wagon's buggy build.
It's a wonder the camera is still working, I didn't realise Alistair was taking pictures of me too :D

This morning I managed to get my engine back in, all pipes, wires and linkages back into place!
I was going great gun's, got it back to the exact stage I had it when the Headgasket problem was discovered, then the misses came home, so it was off to town for me and the family :(

My next job is to get some new oil and coolant into the motor, run it up and do all the tests!
Once check over I'll run some flushes, I have an oil flush and a coolant flush.
This will hopefully take place on Tuesday evening, I'll try to remember to get some pictures of the testing and flushing ;)

I have to have her ready for Sunday 5th June, as it's the College Open Day and Country Fair. Again I'm running the Motorzone, in which I get to play on/in buggies, quads, motorbikes and 4x4's (landrovers). The only down side is that I'm getting watched by several hundred spectators and have a head mic on (gutted no swearing :D)

I'll get you some picture for my next update!

Steve ;D

P.S. Nice to meet you Wagon, keep me posted with your build, let me know if you need any more welding done!

Steves2580

OMG ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got some oil and water in on Tuesday (late afternoon), turn of the key and NOTHING!!
NNOOOO! ??? What have I done ???

After half an hour of head scratching (splinters in my fingers and everything), I realised I'd not reset the fuel cut off switch DDUUUHHH!!!

Turned the key and she fired up straight away ;D, left her ticking over (she sounds very smooth), let her get to temp and run rad pressure tests and oil pressure tests!

One of the other tutors said why not take it for a spin, "but take it steady"!

Shit me, you can't take it steady ;D ;D

I took a mate out with me, as we took it steady he tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to slow down ;D ;D
We were doing 80 without trying ;D ;D
As we turned her round to go back I asked if he was holding on ;), the return journey took a little less time ;D ;D

100 in a Freestyle! ;D The speed is instant, 5 gears it a flash ;D ;D

Orgasmic!!!!!!!!!

I have yet to do the flush, Saturday mornings job, when the workshop will be quiet!!

I'll try to get a vid up as soon as I can!!

Steve.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures ;)

Steves2580

Hi folks,

Just a little up-date, with a few picture this time too!

This picture is just before I fitted the tow/trailer frame on the engine to take it home, this was taken on the 14th May (I think)!
DSCF3691405-1.jpg

After getting the engine home, I got it plumbed back in and ready to go ;D

Friday afternoon I hitched her up to take her to work, so Saturday morning I could crack on!
DSCF3702805.jpg

Friday evening I text Rich about doing a video for me, so I could let you see and hear the power she gives out ;)

Saturday morning set off well, I got to work quite early, started my coolant flush :D
DSCF3712805.jpg

As I was waiting for the engine to get to temperature, I thought I'd have a look at the handbrake, it didn't seem to work on the near side, so I jacked her up and removed the caliper
DSCF3742805.jpg

Me being none machanical thicky :eek:
Couldn't get the piston to return into the caliper, so I got a clamp out and give it a squeeze, nothing ???
A bit more pressure was needed, so I thought, so out came the 30tonne press!

At this time Rich walked into the workshop and asked what I was doing, after a few seconds of me telling him what I was doing,
He said "is that not a screw in caliper?"
FFFFF*****CCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!
Yep, I'd shafted it big style  :( 30tonne on a screw thread doesn't work too well, gutted!

So we missed getting a video this time :(, but it won't be long!

Got her ready to take back home
DSCF3722805.jpg

DSCF3732805.jpg

Got her home and drowned my pain with a couple of bottles of wine, happy again ;)

Steves2580

Today!

Rang round a load of scrap yards, looking for a rear near side brake caliper :mad:

Not a lot of luck, until I filled out one of them parts search thingys ???

After 3-4 minutes I'd received 11 emails, priced from £60 with 3 month warranty, to £20 inc VAT and delivery ;D

There was one that came through from a local firm, that I didn't know about, £20 collection available, be ready for you to collect in an hour ;), so off the Blackburn I went!
Got the part back home and got it fitted, got my lad out to help with brake bleeding, it all dropped into place :D

I was that happy I've only gone and booked it in for it's MOT ;) ;)

Thursday morning is either set to be the worst day of my life, or the best ;) fingers crossed for me and Mary!
I'll try to take my camera, get some pictures of Mary in the MOT station :)

Hoping for nice weather and a decent result!

Wish me luck!

Steve.

Steves2580

Tuesday's update!

As you are aware she passed her mot, dashed back to work and insured her, did a couple of jobs (well I had to do some work :D)
An email came through with all my insurance documents, printed them off and off I went to the post office!

Once she was taxed I was free, so off I went, didn't go far just wanted to feel the freestyle driving thrill again!!
Wicked ;D ;D

Decided to go back to work and put her on the weigh bridge in the motorsports workshop!

She had 3/4 of a tank of fuel and weighed in at 686kgs, quiet a bit heavier than I thought she would be!
Not to worry, there is plenty of power to push it about ;D ;D

Todays update to follow!

Steve ;D

Steves2580

Update 09/06/11

Found my first little teething problem!
As I've been driving a little harder than I normally would, as you do! Testing and all that ;D
I was just having a look round and found some paint on the drivers floor, where's that from then?
DSCF3750906.jpg

I'd pushed that hard on the throttle that the cable holder had bent, whoops, need to stop that happening again!
A quick straighten with a long screw driver ;)
DSCF3790906.jpg

In the MGF the accelerator pedal used to bottom out on the carpet, so a throttle stop was fabricated

DSCF3820906.jpg

DSCF3830906.jpg

In place and marked for drilling! Removed the accelerator assembly, couldn't get me drill in ;)

DSCF3850906.jpg

First bolt in
DSCF3860906.jpg

Second bolt in, throttle assembly back in place and a test push, hard down the cable is just pulling on the bend bracket, full throttle is still available ;D ;D
DSCF3880906.jpg

Next job was an engine flush!
DSCF3900906.jpg

Running up to temperature.
DSCF3910906.jpg

Engine flush in, then the boring bit, holding the engine at 2000rpm for 15mins!
DSCF3920906.jpg

Vehicle up, sump plug out, burning myself on the plug and the oil (BAS***D!)
DSCF3930906.jpg

Removal of oil filter, again still bloody hot!
DSCF3950906.jpg

Lowered Mary back to the floor, oil dripping into my drip tray, while waiting for the oil to drain properly, thought I'd treat her to some new spark plugs
DSCF3960906.jpg

New oil filter back on, sump plug in, dropped her down, filled her with oil.
DSCF3970906.jpg

Left her on the ramp for the oil to settle, quick dripstick check and job done!

As always guys, you're comments are welcome!

Now it's drive time ;D ;D

Steve ;D ;D

Steves2580

Long time since I've posted on my build, I've been busy driving around (mostly sideways) ;D

I've been thinking about Stoneleigh and Newark etc.
Not a lot of space for camping gear in Mary, I can't afford and don't want a roof box, so I've decided to fit a tow bar?

Good idea??

Here's the bits I've collected together, just need to tack them up and stick them on!

DSCF3981802.jpg

Comments welcome guys!

Steve ;)

Steves2580

Another little update!

I spent a couple of hours on the towbar last Sunday, this is the only chance I've had to update you on things!

DSCF3991902.jpg

Got the plate welded on to the drop section

DSCF4001902.jpg

I then bolted on the ball hitch, just to take a few measurements

DSCF4011902.jpg

The next thing I did was mark out the drop section, this bit needed cutting and shaping so it could be welded to Mary's rear bumper

DSCF4021902.jpg

Cut and shaped it to suit

DSCF4031902.jpg

Ball hitch off, so the plate could be trimmed up, got to lose some weight somewhere, BHP per tonne is important!! Ha Ha ;D

DSCF4041902.jpg

DSCF4051902.jpg

Marked the centre line on Mary's bumper and got the towbar tacked into place

DSCF4061902.jpg

Levelled and squared up

DSCF4071902.jpg

Welded up solid, struggled to get to the rear, exhaust in the way!!
I borrowed my daughters small make up mirror, both hands behind the bumper, me with my welding mask on looking at the mirror, while welding back to front.
Welding splatter all over the mirrow (Whoops!!). I'll replace it (possibly) ;)

DSCF4081902.jpg

Spray painted with the same stuff as the rest of the rear chassis.

DSCF4091902.jpg

DSCF4101902.jpg

Ball hitch and electric socket plate bolted up

DSCF4121902.jpg

DSCF4131902.jpg

I just had to see Mary with a trailer on!!!!

DSCF4141902.jpg

DSCF4151902.jpg

I might as well do this weekends update at the same time!!
I had another couple of hours yesterday, just wiring the socket up, bit boring really, only took this one picture!

DSCF4172502.jpg

As you can see, I've put the electric socket on the other side of the towbar, it was a little close to the exhaust!
Just need a number plate for the trailer and I'm off :D

Anyone got a caravan I can borrow? Ha Ha ;D
I'll not be one of these you get stuck behind on the motorway!!

As always guys, your coments are welcomed!

Steve ;)

Steves2580

Hi guys,
Not much of an update, as I missed getting any pictures of a minor fabrication!
I have now got a nice alloy centre console, with tidy dark red leather gators! ;D

You can have a look next weekend at Stoneleigh!

Steve ;D

Steves2580

Hi guys,

It's a long time since I've actually done anything constructive with Mary, so I got her out on Saturday ;D

photo_zpsea141f82.jpg

She's still looking well and driving even better ;D ;D

Steve ;D