1275 engine

RichardG

I am thinking about upgrading to a 1275 as the 998 we have is a little tired and we are certainly lacking some power on the steep hills when trialing. What should I expect to pay?

I have been offered a 50,000 mile engine complete with starter, alternator, carb etc for £350. Engine code is 12HE which I think is an A+ block with unleaded head.

Is £350 reasonable?

Richard

Mini Mad Max

Ouch, that's quite dear!! It depends whether it is a good runner and can be dropped straight in. Second hand engines like that are always hit and miss. I would always do a re-build, but it depends on what you can afford. My philosophy, buy it cheap, make it good. Not exactly cheap in the long run but you can be happy it is relliable.
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Richard,

If it's a known engine with some warranty then it's not actually too bad, if a little on the high side. As to buying cheap & doing a complete rebuild, have you the time? It's a winter project not a keep the buggy off the road summer project, also expect to spend a LOT more than £350 on a rebuild. The machining & new bearings will set you back that amount. Then add the new pistons & gaskets.

There are some currently Selling_on_Ebay but what might be more interesting is the Ones_that+didnot_sell Might be worth a message to the sellers to see if they will take an offer, from the prices it would appear that £350 is the top end trader price.

Alan...

RichardG

Thanks for the input. I think I will keep looking and see what comes up. Am hoping to get something complete that I can drop straight in as I don't really have the time for a complete rebuild. Problem with the engine I was offered is that it does not have much history so would be a bit of a gamble.

Richard

Danny

Administrator
£350 is a lot to gamble! I got bitten once.... never again!

Its not like its easy to get the bloody things in!

Danny

Mini Mad Max

A full re-build doesn't have to cost £350.. you don't need new pistons, keep what is ok and replace what is not, that's what i'm doing and it's not been expensive so far... that is untill i spend money on the cylinder head ;D
Max