2 Freestyle buggies for sale. (One road legal)

Skirrow

The time has come to sell up :-\

Arrgh, just realised how huge my post is. To summarise: 1 road legal buggy. 1 part built buggy. various spare engines and parts. £3000 no offers

I'm hoping to sell it all together as I think that having a road legal buggy along with the second chassis is a great way of being able to enjoy driving the buggy, whilst having a project on the go. My plan was to make a really nice job of the second chassis and then swap the reg and various parts over from the road legal one. Not really legal as the reg should stay with the chassis I believe but there plenty of options with all the bits on offer.

Anyway, here's what is for sale:

1 ROAD LEGAL FREE STYLE BUGGY on a Q plate, correctly registered. No MOT or tax at present as its been SORNed for the past 12 months or so.
Good points:
- 1275 unleaded mini engine
- It has an SVA! Dont underestimate the value of this over an unfinished project. Tax, insure, Mot and you are off.
- Adjutaride adjustable suspension at rear. Brand new adjustable camber arms at rear (done about 15 miles). Spax Adjustable coil over shocks at front.
- RC40 exhaust and HIF6 carb on alloy inlet manifold.

Bad points:
- It's pretty tatty, interior doesn't look great and there are paintwork chips and marks. It's ugly basically. In a yellow and green mad max kind of way.
- The engine number doesn't match the V5 as I changed the engine so you'll ideally need to send the V5 to the DVLA to get it changed. That said, the old engine is included with the sale (see below)
- Gauges leave a bit to be desired. There's no fuel gauge and the speedo is a cycle computer which works fine but if I was keeping it I would buy a second hand Acewell unit or similar

Ok that's the road legal one, aside from that there is the following:

NON ROAD LEGAL CHASSIS. Decent condition but pretty mucky. It's been sat in my garage for best part of ten years as I built it and never driven with the exception of once when I finally got it running and ragged it round a field for an hour in the name of testing. I've since taken the back end off it so its like a wheel barrow at the moment. Various bits have been taken off it since it was running.

REAR SUBFRAME to fit the above chassis. Filthy, needs painting and cleaning. Think it has Spax adjustables on it but not 100%. It also has adjustable ride height.

SECOND ENGINE. 1275 Metro Vandan Plas engine. I believe this is the same or very similar spec as the MG metro engine and is an A series, same as the mini engine so can be easily put in either buggy for a performance increase. Head converted to unleaded. Head currently off. Engine been sat in my garage for 10 years but turns over by hand. Was running fine when I took it out of the metro but that was 10 years ago!

THIRD ENGINE. This was the engine that was in the road legal buggy (and is on the V5). This is an unleaded MG metro engine and was a bit of a screamer. I don't know much about it but I'm sure I was told by the previous owner that it was a 1330 or a 1310. It certainly wasn't standard and felt like it has a hot cam in it. If its a deal breaker Ill take the head off and check the pistons to see if they are standard size or not. It's not so fast now though as I jammed it solid! I fitted a megajolt in an attempt to get it running even faster but when I removed the dizzy I forgot to remove the dizzy drive. So I started the engine and the drive dropped back into the engine jamming itself between the crank and the cam. The gearbox is off so you can see what an idiotic thing I did. It needs the crank lifting away and the drive pulling out. Then the engine and gearbox need cleaning out to get rid of any bits of metal that came off the drive. After that there is a pretty decent chance it will run fine. It's been sat open in my garage and engine and gearbox are probably full of dust and crap so a good clean of the internals in essential before reassembling it.

Skirrow

WHEELS. There are a 4 x 10" revolutions. You'll need a brake modification to fit them to the front through. I think these will be great if its a road vehicle as the small wheel size means faster acceleration and lower top speed. If you want to off road I'd suggest something bigger

BRAKES. There are a pair of fancy alloy calipers which will fit under the 10" wheels but a bleed nipple on each of them is sheared off. I was going to drill and tap and new nipple in them but you might manage to bleed them without the second nipple

If you don't opt for the 10" wheels there are a pair of old 4 pot metro brakes

SPARE PAIR OF REAR ADJUSTABLE RIDE HEIGHT things. (That's 3 pairs in total!)

CARBS - Various carbs and associated bits in various stages of dismantlement. Think there's 2 HIF6 carbs, unused carb rebuild kit for one of them, second metro alloy inlet manifold, at least a couple of filters. Certainly enough for you to build/rebuild a nice carb and have loads of spares for modding.

PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SILENCER - think its a mini sport one but can't remember

SPARE CHEQUE PLATE LOWER NOSE CONE (3 in total. One fitted to each buggy and the spare)

COUPLE OF SPARE CHEQUE PLATE SIDE PANELS

FIRE EXTINGUISHER PETROL TANK badly made just to get the non road legal one running but it does the job. Theres a helium balloon tank that I was going to use for the final one.

COUPLE OF BOXES OF USED MINI STUFF. Things like suspension and brake parts and random mini related crap I've built up over the years. Plenty of spares in the if something breaks.

V5 for a SORNed K reg Mini - this is the donor car for the non road legal chassis. If you wanted to IVA it I think you would need this to get an aged related plate. The car has long gone but the engine and subframe and most of the suspension parts off that car are amongst all the above.

OTHER STUFF Pretty sure there will be be a couple of things I have missed.

THE THING THAT IS MISSING - I reckon everything you need to get the non road legal one going are there or can be sourced easily, EXCEPT, the fibreglass body panels. You'll need the upper nose cone, front and rear arches. I don't think these are available any more so you'll either need to take them off the road legal one, or use the road legal panels to make a mould for new ones.

MY PLAN WITH THESE was to use the best bits of both on the non-road legal chassis. I planned to do this while keeping the other on the road as long as possible so I could enjoy driving and building at the same time. I was then going to rebuild the 1330 engine with lower compression and fit a garret T2 turbo with a modest amount of boost to give about 120-130 hp. I was going to set the suspension low and hard for road only and stick it on the 10" wheels and turn it into a track toy.
There are plenty of other options of course, IVA it and have 2 road legals. Keep one as a strictly off roader. Having the second chassis and the engines give you plenty of options!

FNALLY, SALE DETAILS

I'm looking for £3000 for the lot
NO OFFERS PLEASE! I reckon this is a really good price for 2 buggies, one of which is road legal.
Reason for sale is that I bought a Seven last spring and the buggies are just filling up my garage and not getting used.
Im not really interested in splitting them at this point although I appreciate not everyone wants 2 buggies so I may consider it if no interest.

I'll get some photos up soon if there is any interest. Any questions, please ask!

Skirrow

Just in case anyone is interested here are the images.

RIMG0107.jpg

RIMG0109.jpg

RIMG0110.jpg

RIMG0111.jpg

RIMG0112.jpg

RIMG0113.jpg

RIMG0114.jpg

RIMG0115.jpg
RIMG0117.jpg
RIMG0118.jpg
RIMG0121.jpg

RIMG0123.jpg

RIMG0124.jpg

RIMG0125.jpg

RIMG0126.jpg

RIMG0127.jpg

RIMG0128.jpg

RIMG0129.jpg

RIMG0130.jpg

RIMG0131.jpg

RIMG0132.jpg

Skirrow

Will split if any interest...

Yellow road legal one - £2000
Red one along with all the other bits and engines and stuff - £1000

Will split it all up and stick it on eBay if no interest here

Danny

Administrator
That yellow and green one use to be mint.. I have some cracking photos of that about 10 years ago... I think it use to belong to FastCar magazine or something :)

Danny

Skirrow

Never knew that! Shame it's just taking up space in the garage. Deserves to be on the road this summer.