4 Wheel drive lightwieght buggy (disscusion thread )

Baloo

l have only just noticed this section should be locked to stop chit chat and coments, but as l would welcome comments good and bad, can some one move my post to another section please where we can discuss the pros and cons of my biuld
thanks Andy 

HolyCount

Keep this one open for discussion (rename it 4 Wheel drive lightwieght buggy - Discussion) like Jason has done, then start a locked build diary thread.

Baloo

HolyCount":1kk751ty said:
Keep this one open for discussion (rename it 4 Wheel drive lightwieght buggy - Discussion) like Jason has done, then start a locked build diary thread.

good thinking  ;)

HolyCount

Baloo":26h99icl said:
HolyCount":26h99icl said:

good thinking   ;)

That must be my second or third (reasonably) good idea this year -- I'd better lie down  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Topics split, but I've not locked the other as if I do you won't be able to unlock it.

Alan...

Baloo

thank you guys
l am getting the hang of this slowly,  l have locked the biuld thread,  l will use this thread for my general ramberlings  and just post photos of the biuld in the other although it will probally lag behind a bit

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

This is brilliant, you are making amazing progress & the quality looks fantastic, keep it up.

Alan...

Baloo

thanks guys
              l am glad to get a reply l was begining to think there was no one out there ;D, its coming along at a reasonable pace now.

Max
the other buggy you can see in the garage is the project before this one,  it had reached the point of being stripped down to go for shot blasting and painting before final assembly, but the subaru justy crept in and stole my attention, must have been the lure of 4 wheel drive again  :)

it is based on a vitara/x90 chassis in 2wd form, powered by a range rover V8

heres a few pics of it

DSCF1278640x480.jpg

DSCF1282640x480.jpg

DSCF1329640x480.jpg

DSCF1330640x480.jpg

DSCF1370640x480.jpg

DSCF1405640x480.jpg

DSCF1470640x480.jpg

DSCF1472640x480.jpg

DSCF1474640x480.jpg

DSCF1483640x480.jpg

DSCF1492640x480.jpg

rangeroverengine.jpg

DSCF1490640x480-1.jpg

rangeengine029.jpg

rangeengine012.jpg

steering009.jpg

the full storey can be found here
http://shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/forum/vi ... =57&t=6283

Baloo

hi Max

the V8 buggy is rear wheel drive only,  the idea was to biuld something that would step the tail out on demand, something that was offroad only l hasten to add, hence the v8 for the torque ( and because range rovers can be had very cheap these days) its also why it has alligator tyres on the front to dig in and steer and all terrains on the rear to induce it to bring the back round on the corners on the grass track we use, a sort of bigger honda pilot,
the vitara chassis fits the bill nicely as it can be 2 or 4 wheel drive with wishbone suspension at the front and solid axle at the rear, suprised l dont see more in use

Andy

collie

wulliecosse":2qzewcf4 said:
Phaeton":2qzewcf4 said:
Amazing! Speechless.

Alan...

lol...theres a first.   ;D

aye,quite a pair of interesting builds...quality engineering too.
Here here, I wish I had the skills to replicate an ounce of that!

Baloo

Phaeton":3odieivl said:
Amazing! Speechless.

Alan...

lol  steady on its only a bit of steel tube,  l started with a vitara chassis since it meant l dident have to make any suspension componets or work out any spring rates or caster, camber or roll centres, in essence its just a reshell
l could have used the original 1600 cc 16 v engine and box that was in it,  its nothing to get too excited about

heres the vitara chassis with 1600 engine
019640x480.jpg

once upon atime doing this would have allowed you to keep the orginal log book since the orginal chassis was used, is this still the case or has that all moved on ?

Mini Mad Max

No i think it's still the case, at least it is with those Blitz ones that use the suzuki SJs so i think yeah you should be alright.
Max :D

Phaeton

Staff member
The scheme they use is described HERE But quite frankly it's so vague & gobbledegook it doesn't really tell you anything, typical DVLA

Alan...

HolyCount

Biggest question is what constitutes an "unaltered" chassis ?  I assume if you use the base chassis and bolt on a frame or new body you will be within the rules. However, by welding a frame to the chassis, are you altering the chassis ??????

Other than that it seems quite straightforward !

Danny

Administrator
lol DVLA jokers!

Quality build there though the progress you make is pretty damn quick it took me forever just to weld on my wing mirror stalks and then even then I had to get my Bro in law to help!

Be good to see them in the flesh

Danny

Baloo

HolyCount":nhuk6jnb said:
Biggest question is what constitutes an "unaltered" chassis ?  I assume if you use the base chassis and bolt on a frame or new body you will be within the rules. However, by welding a frame to the chassis, are you altering the chassis ??????

Other than that it seems quite straightforward !

good question,  my take on it would be that if you stood the chassis up against the wall with 5 others could you pick it out ?  if you have welded bits on it so as its different then its altered and needs a sva/iva, if its got no extras welded and looks like the others then its good to go,  so if l wanted something for the road then l think l would make it all bolt onto the orginal body mounts,

been playing around with the steering column, started of with the justy one but thats not adjustable and space is tight when getting in and out,  so l have found a toyota column from an mr2 that l recently stripped
( anyone need a good mr2 engine and box for a rear engined buggy ? ) this is adjustable up and down so l have switched to this one now, going to make it slide sideways as well so as l can push it over to the middle to aid those of us that are 6'6" getting in and out
are there any other commonly used steering colums out there ?

now the engine is on its mounts proper l find the brake master cylinder rubs the altenator, so l have had to cut the tube linking the strut tops  that suports the pedal box out and replace it with one that bends back 2" instead  ::)

also been playing with some rolled tube that was kicking about the workshop, could come up with a really cute/wacky shaped buggy here  :eek:

justy7006.jpg

justy7007.jpg

l did try a couple of regular shaped roll hoops but neither really took my fancy

justy7003.jpg

justy7004.jpg

justy7002.jpg

justy6005.jpg

justy6002.jpg

was thinking about mounting the rad behind the engine, do you think that would work ?