4 Wheel drive lightwieght buggy (disscusion thread )

Baloo

wulliecosse":1pswlust said:
is that your toyalexus charriot on eblag? ::)

hi

no not mine, l have nothing on ebay, got a link or item no, l have searched for toyalexus but it dosent throw anything up

Andy

Baloo

oh yes
 thats been round a few times before, l even thought of bidding last time round,
l am sure the chap has more than1k in it but trying to sell an unfinished project is hard work and bound to be at a loss  :'(
some nice bits there and l would take a lexus engine and toyota axles over landrover anyday

infact l have some landcrusier axles with lsd's  and a scooby engine and box already aquired for my next project ;)

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Once again some amazing progress, you make it look so easy, my only concern I can see is the height of the seats, they currently look a bit perched, if you know what I mean. Is there no way to lower them to lower the COG? Other than that I am so jealous of your skills & facilities.

Alan...

Baloo

Phaeton":2bj2tcn4 said:
Once again some amazing progress, you make it look so easy, my only concern I can see is the height of the seats, they currently look a bit perched, if you know what I mean. Is there no way to lower them to lower the COG? Other than that I am so jealous of your skills & facilities.

Alan...

hi Alan

yes the seat position does look a bit on the high side,  maybe more so to someone used to buggys, l spent some time going out side looking in road cars at the seat hieght but they were all different and dident come to any meaningfull  conclusion,  several things come into play here the biggest one is that its 4 wheel drive. one of the things a 4 wheel drive needs most is ground clearance paticually in the centre to improve ramp over angle,  to get the ground clearance the chassis has to be high off the ground and theres the first problem for me as the back of the seats are down on the chassis where it starts to rise up to get over the rear driveshafts, so lowering the back of the seat will require a reworking ( lowering ) of the chassis, possible but a lot of work, again to keep the ground clearance in the middle l cant have the front to rear propshaft under the floor so it has to come up into the cab space to a centre bearing and then back down to the rear diff again making fitting the seats on the floor impossible, the last thing that calls for a high seat position is vision, most 4 wheel drives tend to sit high on the road partly due to ground clearance issues and then since the front axle is high of the ground the engine has to be even higher to get the sump to clearance resulting in poor forward vison thanks to the engine being stuck in the way and unlike a buggy used on the road you cant assume there is tarmac or road in front of you when you are out playing offroad so again a high seat for forward vision is useful,  since l have used the pedals out of the doner car where the seat sat in about the same relative position as l have now the operation of them feels comfortable as does the seat,
but having said all that you have me worried now l keep popping out to the garage and thinking yes they do look a little high ;D  with a bit of reworking l could get them down an inch or two maybe,  l will have to put something on the floor in front of the buggy and see how much forward vison l loose lowering my head 2"

the idea of a rear engined low slung freestyle type buggy is starting to appeal to me as my next project, l will be asking questions on subframes and engine choice k sieres/MR2 etc shortly  ::)

rusty gates

Hi  any update on the justy buggy? There is an early justy in the next door farmers field. not sure he would sell though.
I am particularly interested as to what it ended up weighing.
Anyway it looks really interesting good luck.