A QUESTION FOR RICHARD G

FFTS

Hi Richard.

I have to say at no diservice to anyone else and just personal taste.. I think you back end looks wonderful.. haha (no gay jokes please) I have come up with a design that builds on this and would like your help and advise on the checkerplate panel.

What dimensions
where and how is it fixed
any mods needed to light mounting stems, exhaust etc.

Thanks in advance

RichardG

Well your not the first to compliment my rear !! :shock:

Got back from Exeter kit car show a couple of hours ago and my ears are still ringing and my toes are still cold but it was worth it. Funny but no over heating problems with the buggy today :D Dave and Jerry were in the hall trying to russle up some business and dipping in to a box of beer cans to keep them going :D

As for the back end there are some photos on my blog which show some of the mods. Look at the Apr 2007 posts.

I cut off the original rear light mounting brackets and welded in some box section to create a frame. The ali panel is fixed to the new frame at the top and is curved under at the bottom and is then bolted to the lip on the bottom of the sub frame. If you want some more cloe up photos or measurements let me know.

As for the exhaust it is just fitted in the same way most people have done but I tried to keep it as close to the sub frame as I could.

my blog is at
http://richfreestyle.blogspot.com/

Richard

FFTS

Any close ups photos of the sub frame fixings would be useful thanks. Also.. what method did you use to bend your checker plate by hand and make it uniform?

I know what you mean about cold toes. My first real drive in Lola was 3 hours motorway in the dark across the pennines.. bbrrrrrrrrrhh

RichardG

I will get some more pictures but it won't be until next weekend as expecting a bad week at work.

We bent the ali checker plate by hand on my balck and decker workbench. It is hard work, but if you work slowly and bend a little at a time you can get a nice curve. I clamped a length of scafolding pipe to the work bench and worked the ali sheet on the pipe. We made the nose cone in the same way.

Richard

R1FREESTYLE

Bending big ally sheets by hand is tricky as Ricahrd says.

I did my nose cone "by hand" also. I ptrapped the end of the sheet in the vice between two lenghts of wood about 24" long. We then swung of it to start the curve off. Once the bend has started to appear I wrapped a couple of trailer ratchet straps around the sheet and then slowly ratcheted up the curve, letting it relax every now and then to chuck the curve. By shifting the straps and assisting the bend as you go along it takes some of the grunting and pushing out of the process.

FFTS

Thanks for that Richard. Just started stripping the clutch today ready to fit my shiny new ultralight flywheel and plate. What a job.. just got the housing cover off after 4 hours :(