Aborted First Run

Phaeton

Staff member
Well went & got some plates, fitted them so thought I had better stop doing anything else & go for a run. So off i went, first thing to notice is it's running far too lean, I know when it was tested I was down at about 0.35% CO2 but had adjusted it slightly, but still too hesitant. So pulled the choke out slightly & got better performance.

Only went up the estate, right onto what they call Long Lane, then left out onto the main road, as I went out onto the main road I heard a noise. Not sure what but it didn't sound right but everything seemed okay so I carried on another 1/4 mile & turned left again to start coming back, I have no temperature gauge at moment so didn't want to push or go too far (lucky as it happens). So takes another left & all is well, until I came to the junction at the end, which was supposed to be a left then right to get back onto the estate, lets out the clutch & I just sit there, no movement, smack bang right on the junction.

So I jumps out I thought the clutch had gone, so whilst standing outside I pressed the clutch & could see the arm moving. So put it in gear again & let the clutch out, still no movement but noticed this time the speed is going up??? Anyway as I'm almost blocking the junction thought I'd better move it out of the way NOPE, not going anywhere, not forwards, not backwards??

Goes round the back & looks at the nearside rear wheel & thinks that doesn't look right, it's sticking out at the bottom & in at the front, the brake disc was HOT! & pads smelling. Gets hold if it with both hands & I could just about move it. So puts the hazards on & walks home, not a lot more I could do, luckily it ws less than 1/2 mile.

Chucks the trolley jack, toolbox & A-frame in back of van & gets myself back there, parks the van behind the buggy & puts the hazards on that as well. Loosens the wheel nuts & then jacked the wheel up, as I took the wheel off the driveshaft castlenut & hub washer came off as well, which explained the wheel at a funny angle.

Tried to push the the splined CV back through the centre of the hub but it wasn't having it, So I had to take the pads out of the caliper, the caliper off the carrier & the carrier off the hub before the drive flange would come off. Once it did the driveshaft was easy to push through, then all go back in reverse order. I tightened up the castlenut & decided to drive home steadily & walk back for the van.

Once home I took the wheel off again & undid the castlenut. There was split pin remains in the shaft, which is worrying, but I don't know if they were remains from this time or did I not renew it last time? Only thing I would say by having discs on the rear it stopped the wheel from coming off completely, had I been on drums & the same happened I'd have been on 3 wheels.

So tomorrow is stay close to home day & not go too far afield, but keep dumping the clutch to try to make it come loose again. along with jack & tools installed in buggy. It might just be my error or it could be worn threads but it doesn't look bad. I'm also going to go get a 1 5/16" socket (34mm) as currently I'm using a 36mm which I thought was close enough at that size, but maybe not.

Why they didn't put a left hand thread on that one is anybodies, guess, well no it's obvious, this way there's only 1 part for both sides.

Oh the joys

Alan...

jason_l

Now that doesn't sound right!  :eek: Important thing is your OK, like you said if you had drum brakes it would have been alot worse!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate!

collie

Blimey! Glad you're ok.
Got to say I didn't completely understand everything in your essay, but sounds really scary!
Sounds like Bumble really did have a sting in the tail!!!

Will

Phaeton":18zaw80s said:
Why they didn't put a left hand thread on that one is anybodies, guess, well no it's obvious, this way there's only 1 part for both sides.

Oh the joys

Alan...

Makes casting half the price if both drive shafts are the same.  Glad you're ok mate!

Phaeton

Staff member
Wasn't scary at all really, as when it refused to go i was stopped, more annoying than anything. Anyone know off top of their head or HBOL what the torque setting for a driveshaft is, I'm thinking maybe I just didn't tighten it up enough.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":3ixcbvr8 said:
Wasn't scary at all really, as when it refused to go i was stopped, more annoying than anything. Anyone know off top of their head or HBOL what the torque setting for a driveshaft is, I'm thinking maybe I just didn't tighten it up enough.

Alan...
I can check my Haynes manual tonight but I suspect you need it now?
What does HBOL mean?

Phaeton

Staff member
Haynes Book of Lies

Quote " undo nut & ease unit out"

3 weeks later, 4 cans of WD40, big hammer & angry grinder you buy a new car instead of repairing the one you have.

Alan..

Will

I once did a metro clutch by the letter according to haynes, took 3 days!  Did one not so long ago and it took 3 hours lol! 

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":led2mmtl said:
Haynes Book of Lies

Quote " undo nut & ease unit out"

3 weeks later, 4 cans of WD40, big hammer & angry grinder you buy a new car instead of repairing the one you have.

Alan..
"Drift the valve guide out with a punch and a hammer" - 10 mins of it moving no where... S**t the valve guide's broken. It's fine now, I put the bit back where it should be and have made a punch on the lathe to use in a hydraulic press. URGHH!
If me and my old man remember correctly, it should be about 115 ft/lbs of torque. Or sommit like that.
Max :D