Alternator

robcoles

I'm in need of a replacement alternator , would anyone have a spare one to fit an A-series they could sell me.
Cheers guys

Phaeton

Staff member
Pretty sure I have but the postage will be as much as getting one more local I would think, unless you want to wait until end of July for the Wales run & your house can be one of the destinations :D

robcoles

Found a new one on eBay for £52..... so just waiting on delivery. Typical it failed the day after it passed mot.
Is the wales run heading anywhere near Cardiff?

robcoles

I will check my work rota to see if I join you at any point. One of my colleagues is getting married in July so booking time off is next to impossible. Will you be traveling anywhere ne'er Cardiff ?

Phaeton

Staff member
Should think at some point we may get down to the Brecons, sure there are places around there that we've not been before even after all these years

robcoles

Replaced my alternator today for a shiny new one , only to find I'm still only getting a reading of 12.3 on multi meter when buggy is running :'(

Any suggestions gladly accepted

Phaeton

Staff member
What are you using as the ignition warning bulb/exciter? Needs to be a minimum of 5W so if you're trying to use an LED it needs a bulb hidden away somewhere.

robcoles

Danny
Only used the one multi meter but as the battery is draining when engine is running I'm inclined to believe the reading.

Phaeton
The warning light hasn't came on ?? I have the original mini warning lights so it's possible the bulb has blown

Phaeton

Staff member
robcoles":287sv5gi said:
The warning light hasn't came on ?? I have the original mini warning lights so it's possible the bulb has blown
That could be your issue, without telling you how to suck eggs (Sorry if I am), but the wiring puts 12V through the bulb to the alternator, which at rest goes to earth (switch ignition on, bulb lights), but once the alternator start to turn it uses the difference in the voltage between that it has direct from the battery compared with what is coming down the the ignition warning light wire to know it has to charge. That is all not quite strictly true but in essence that what it does.

robcoles

Phaeton":2nyhtltk said:
robcoles":2nyhtltk said:
That could be your issue, without telling you how to suck eggs (Sorry if I am), but the wiring puts 12V through the bulb to the alternator, which at rest goes to earth (switch ignition on, bulb lights), but once the alternator start to turn it uses the difference in the voltage between that it has direct from the battery compared with what is coming down the the ignition warning light wire to know it has to charge. That is all not quite strictly true but in essence that what it does.

Thanks for this ...... i will be taking a look as soon as I get home from work.
I will let you know the outcome

robcoles

Ok so definitely no battery light working. Changed bulb still not working...... to be honest I don't think it's ever worked

Phaeton

Staff member
So we need to go back to square one, is it a handmade loom or a modified Mini one, is the bulb in a cluster or just a separate bulb

robcoles

Modified mini loom plugged into a mini gauge that contains a temp & fuel gauge & 3 warning lights. High beam , oil pressure & battery.

Phaeton

Staff member
Think I still have Mini wiring diagrams at home, but first 2 tests will be to see if you have 12V at the bulb when the ignition is on & then continuity from the bulb to the alternator

Phaeton

Staff member
Here are a couple of pages that should help

http://www.minifinity.com/images/techteam/MFTechWiki/Electrical-ColourWiringDiagram.jpg

http://www.minifinity.com/images/techteam/MFTechWiki/Electrical-ColourWiringDiagramKey.gif

So back of ignition switch is it live 12V when switched on, logically it must be as the buggy starts, so does a white (possibly) wire go to the charging bulb, do you get 12V at the bulb holder, do you even have a wire going there? If you do have the wire & you do have 12V then there should be a wire going to the Ind terminal on the alternator need to prove that through

Alan..

Danny

Administrator
Doesnt the alternater need a tickle light... like an led to trigger (i know sod all about electrics)

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":huqriehz said:
(i know sod all about electrics)
That's a given, did you look at the diagrams or do they just look like spaghetti to you

robcoles":huqriehz said:
At this point I'm thinking check all connections if that don't work call an auto electrician
Do you have a multimeter, if so it's s simple circuit,