Anyone moved their rear lights???

jason_l

Hi All,

Just a quick one really. Im not keen on the hamburger rear light units and im considering getting some square style ones and mounting them to the top bar at the back of the car. Was then going to run the wires down inside the frame to a lower position.

Will probably cut off the original light mounts and still have the fog, reverse lights lower down where they need to be.

Have had a look through the SVA manual and looks like i will be fine for height, placement. Just trying to find some good light units to use???

Anyone else done something similar?

Jason :p

jason_l

Picked up a set of fog light's with brackets on the way home today and measured them up, there is not enough room for the indicators as well so i have made a decision.

Hamburgers are going to get removed and the mounts cut , im going to mount the 2x fog lights on the upper bar (as in picture) and use them as extra hi level brake lights. You can never have too many brake lights ;D

Then get some different light units and weld on some new metal onto the frame to mount them to!

Here is a mock up of the hi level brake lights, what do people think???
2625_149558135472_587840472_6215510_3813069_n.jpg

These are the style of lower lights i will be going for  ;D
d3f8_35.JPG

@biddleboy, the voltures have already taken the old hamburger light units!  :p

Angel Boy

Jason,
Don't want to put water on your idea, but does where you are thinking of putting them meet the requirements of the SVA/IVA?  I know they are pretty strict on where these things can be fitted.  I don't have the measurements on this PC so I can't confirm for you but I am pretty sure they can't be that high up.

On the plus side, I like your idea  :)

Andy

jason_l

Angel Boy":1obxn5dy said:
Jason,
Don't want to put water on your idea, but does where you are thinking of putting them meet the requirements of the SVA/IVA?  I know they are pretty strict on where these things can be fitted.  I don't have the measurements on this PC so I can't confirm for you but I am pretty sure they can't be that high up.

On the plus side, I like your idea   :)

Andy

I have read somewhere that it can't be over 1500mm high and needs to be spaced at least 500mm apart. Both of these will be fine, let me just double check the IVA draft i have....... ???

Phaeton

Staff member
There is no issue with the height according to SVA & the latest draft IVA, they cannot be lower than 350mm (I think) & not higher than 1500mm unless it is not practicable then it is 2100mm. As there is no bodywork to fasten them to I thinnk you have 2100mm to play with, my only concern & it is not mentioned as far as I can see is the fact the lights will not be at the rear but some 500mm (complete guess) inboard. How this will be viewed at testing time I do not know.

If you do put 2 extra brake lights on in that position will they be 400mm apart?

Alan..

jason_l

Phaeton":38hirjkq said:
There is no issue with the height according to SVA & the latest draft IVA, they cannot be lower than 350mm (I think) & not higher than 1500mm unless it is not practicable then it is 2100mm. As there is no bodywork to fasten them to I thinnk you have 2100mm to play with, my only concern & it is not mentioned as far as I can see is the fact the lights will not be at the rear but some 500mm (complete guess) inboard. How this will be viewed at testing time I do not know.

If you do put 2 extra brake lights on in that position will they be 400mm apart?

Alan..

Just found exactly the same alan. They have over 500mm between them so no worries there, was going to put the indicators there as well but it lowers the distance in between them to less than 400mm, hence the lower clusters im going with.

Im now going to remove the bumpers and im having a smaller one made up using the old nerf bumper but modiying it so lights will be less inbound. like you have said the only problem i see is them being slightly more inbound, however i will have other brake/driving lights at the rear of the car.

I don't see it being a problem ??? One of the TVR cars has the indicators inside the cars rear window so further inbound and they are road legal so technically i should be ok. If not i will just remove them for IVA and put them back on afterwards  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
How about building then into the rear bumper, just to the outside of the down tubes, if I was any good at photoshopping I'd mock one up but I ain't

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":3no83ecz said:
How about building then into the rear bumper, just to the outside of the down tubes, if I was any good at photoshopping I'd mock one up but I ain't

Alan...

Now that is a good idea, might have to look into that. Although it will have to be made slightly wider than i was planning but should work out ok. Im not going to do the rear bumper till i have the stalet engine in and running as im not too certain how much room its going to take up or how it will look.

Jason :)

collie

If someone has a decent pic of the rear of their buggy and the lights they're after, I'll have a go at photoshopping them on there.

Mini Mad Max

jason_l":w0y0gfpt said:
Picked up a set of fog light's with brackets on the way home today and measured them up, there is not enough room for the indicators as well so i have made a decision.

Hamburgers are going to get removed and the mounts cut , im going to mount the 2x fog lights on the upper bar (as in picture) and use them as extra hi level brake lights. You can never have too many brake lights ;D

Then get some different light units and weld on some new metal onto the frame to mount them to!

Here is a mock up of the hi level brake lights, what do people think???
2625_149558135472_587840472_6215510_3813069_n.jpg

These are the style of lower lights i will be going for  ;D
d3f8_35.JPG

@biddleboy, the voltures have already taken the old hamburger light units!  :p

Hey jason,
I've seen those lights knocking about on kit cars, they look sterling with the carbon style surrounds!
Max ;)