Ben's Blitz 2 Buggy Build

vexedben

Hi guys, I know I have been on the forum asking various questions recently. Well this weekend I have ordered my blitz 2 chassis from nick and NFC in Durham. I very excited about getting the chassis at the end of July. I will try keep you guys up to date with what I get up to.

I came home from Uni this weekend do looking forward to getting stuck into the refurbing of the mini parts. Should keep me busy till the end of July as I await the chassis.

This is my first build so any help or pointers would be more than welcome. :)

Cheers

Ben

vexedben

Well after getting the go ahead from the parents, it seems the double garage is now mine and the order form has been sent off. Can't wait to get stuck in.

vexedben

Well I have had confirmation of the chassis arrival and this should be on the 8th so I've been busy clearing the garage to make room for it. Convinced my parents to sell their boats seeing as though they haven't used them in 3 years. :p all is set for the buggys arrival now, got all my stuff trough from mini spares too. Good suggestion there max. :) great company and excellent service. I joined the mini forum for mini related advice and to get some parts for reasonable prices instead of ebay's ridiculously expensive ones and as of next week I will be finishing off a few bits so I can build the chassis up as a dry run and get it rolling.

Cheers
Ben

vexedben

Well here's my first build update. Essentially got the front end built up and the rear subframe in. I ordered the rally spring conversion from pl minis last week and am just waiting to fit that before I can build the rear end up. :)

ru2y2uve.jpg

The chassis as it arrived
hejyru2y.jpg

Pedal box with M/Cs
uzube5ev.jpg

Testing of seats and how to get them mounted
qe5epu9a.jpg

You'll have to excuse the wheel, it's just one that I had to allow the rack to be tested
5uny6avu.jpg

The rally spring conversion to replace the cones
ybadaqa2.jpg

Subframe in place - waiting for the fitting of the suspension to get the hubs bolted on then look to getting the engine and gearbox in.
ezagaduv.jpg

Front hub all built up
anubu5yp.jpg

Here's where the fuel tank is supposed to be. The 5 gallon one provided did not all the m/c s to be fitted so I'm looking to get an alloy one built that sits low in the front keeping the c of g low down. Only thing is its wide and so needs a swirl pot due to the level of slosh that will probably go on.
a9agerun.jpg

Here's the engine block all painted up in gloss black. It's only a 998 but to be honest I've been thinking about making a turbo 998 for later after the IVA. Or perhaps an R1 or fireblade conversion which would give me a sequential box (kind of)

That's it about it for now, although spoke to Dave at dampertech to sort the suspension and dampers out and that should be here in a couple of weeks.

Shall keep you all posted on new updates

Ben

vexedben

Well yesterday I received my coil overs and dampers from dave at dampertech. He's very helpful and managed to sort me out with some gaz shockers which I got nickel plated for extra corrosion resistance. Got to manufacture 4 brackets for them but shouldn't be too much of a problem then I can get them fitted. I'm also going to change the location of the rear damper mounting as it doesn't allow the damper to fit properly as these dampers have quite a thick protective sleeve at the top.
e9ybybag.jpg

Not got much time left on the buggy before I am back at uni so got to try and get as much done to make it rolling before then.

Ben

vexedben

Right well today I got one step actually two steps closer to achieving my k series conversion. I received this afternoon, courtesy of mark(rotoryboy) a stripped out mgf for my conversion. Got all the looms and such. So I have that to play with I'm two weeks time after my exams. In the meantime I've asked a local fabricator to see if they would be happy to adjust the read to take the new subframe and they seem happy enough. Just got to take down some drawings and pics which Steve kindly drew fore. So with any luck I may be somewhere close my summer.

Ben