Brain teaser

nw208

Can anyone help a mate of mine, she has got a DNG 1000cc race engine ( for class 1 autograss) that has a misfire, initial inspection revealed that the coil was getting hot, and the plastic bits on the point were melting and closing the points gap. Fellow autograssers suggested a ballast resistor, which improved things, the coil still gets warm (is this normal?) but the engine has a slight misfire when pulling away.

My unhelpful suggestion was to rev it a bit more, which resulted in a swift dig in the ribs for my trouble.

I think, according to the rule book that electronic ignition is prohibited.

Any further help would avoid any more pain in the rib area!

hmalan

Have you changed the coil when adding the ballast resistor as the coils are specific to whether or not a ballast resistor is fitted.

If you fit a non ballast resistor coil to a system with a ballast resistor the coil will overheat.

Alan T

Phaeton

Staff member
"hmalan"":17tlikve said:
If you fit a non ballast resistor coil to a system with a ballast resistor the coil will overheat.
Isn't that the wrong way round Alan, if you fit a ballast coil to a none ballast system it will get hot, 12v through a 9v system. But if you fit a none ballast coil to a ballast system all you'll get is a poor spark, needs 12v to energise but only getting 9v

Other things to look at leads & plugs suspect one might be going HR.

Alan...

nw208

Thanks for the replies guys, I will pass the message on.

Unfortunately I have been working away for the last few days so I haven't had the chance to try this yet.

Will keep you posted,