Brake and cluch questions

iank

Planning to order a clutch cylinder and planning where to run the lines.

What bore cylinder should I choose? (new pedal box) I'm pretty sure I can use one with the integral reservoir. (I seem to remember Alan saying 0.75, but my memory is shot after this week at work) which is the biggest size easily available.

Planning to use 3/16 pipe for both clutch and brake (manual says use 1/4 for the clutch, but that's based on the old pedal box). presumably that's ok - I'm sure that's what Alan's using.

Finally looking at the pipe runs in the manual it would seem far better to run them down the drivers side now the cylinders are that side. It shortens all the runs considerably. Any good reasons (beyond the bulkhead holes at the back will be on the wrong side) why I shouldn't?

funbuggydave

Hi Ian,
If you have a standard Mini clutch MC you can use that, the guy who built one in Holland used a standard tin bodied one and used an O ring seal round the cap. Seemed to work OK
If you use an aftermarket one I would go for a .75 bore
No reason not to run pipes down drivers side
Dave

MattBlack

Alan got pulled at SVA for running pipes on the floor, so he had to protect them. I ran 'em on the side wall at floor level and the same inspector never even looked at them.

Alan had the afterthought of running them along the top rail of the sides which will leave them hidden under your plastic pipe top protection didbob. Great idea i thought.

Phaeton

Staff member
Pretty sure this is the same one that I have on my buggy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

As Matt said they pulled mine for having copper pipes on the floor & made me cover them. If I did another one I would put them on the top rail on the inside so they get covered by the drainpipe.

Alan...
p.s. I used 3/16th for both & don't have any problems.