Brake and Clutch cylinders...

BRUC3

I bought one of Alans stupendous pedal boxes recently and am now looking at getting the front of the buggy built back up...

Anyone able to tell me exactly what I need?

Im not being lazy, (honest guv') I done a search and read about the Fiat Cinq cluth cylinder, but is their anything else I need along with teh mini brake resevoir?

Im new to all this malarky!

Bruce

Mini Mad Max

Hi bruce, build is coming along... looks great!
You're right, you need the fiat cinq brake MC reservoir and rubber seals. Then you need a mini dual circuit break master cylinder to go with it. For clutch cylinder, I've been told it is the landrover defender clutch master cylinder that we need... but i will wait for someone else to confirm. All you need to do then is weld some lugs ontop of your pedals so they can work horizontally, which may take a bit of playing around before you find a set up that works. If you look in alan's mr bumble thread he does a detailed process of this which looks quite helpful.
Hope that helps,
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
And THIS is the clutch cylinder, you need to make up your own clevis, but a nut & a couple of pieces of metal will do, it's your clutch so not as important as your brakes.

Alan...

BRUC3

Cheers for the head up guys!

Earlier this morning whilst playing with the buggy I thought i'd have a look at the pile of parts I have in the corner...

I found this!

SAM_0510.jpg

Do they look like the right ones?

Excuse my ignorance, im not very good at all this stuff! lol

Phaeton

Staff member
The brake one is correct, if you take off the reservoir & the clutch one, looks brand new, so ebay that one & it will easily pay for the one you need.

Alan...

BRUC3

So will that clutch resevoir and cylinder be from a mini then?

Im guessing the old pedal box used the mini clutch cylinder to?

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes the old pedalbox used both brake & clutch from a Mini, it was as close to a single donor build as the original designer could make it.

If you can get a Fiat reservoir then that is the easiest route, if not go for a remote reservoir onto the Mini MC Steve2580 might be able to give you some pictures of Mary's setup, other than that have a look through the photobucket folder of Mary's build.

Alan...

BRUC3

Im confused lol

So I need to keep the Mini Brake Master cylinder, and replace the resevoir with a Fiat one? Or is the Mini brake resevoir the correct one to?

My head hurts!!! lol

jason_l

BRUC3":1y54ymb4 said:
Im confused lol

So I need to keep the Mini Brake Master cylinder, and replace the resevoir with a Fiat one? Or is the Mini brake resevoir the correct one to?

My head hurts!!! lol

Keep the mini BRAKE master cylinder but remove the plastic reservoir and replace with a fiat one. Then use the landrover version for the clutch.

Jason :D

BRUC3

Just been doing some reading up on the Fiat forums, and it seems you can no longer get hold of the Fiat Cinq reservoirs!

There seems to be a lot of people saying theirs are cracking and 'exploding' due to turning brittle from old age!

Now I dont fancy putting one on so going to try and get a suitable replacement!

Out of interest, how comes the mini one wont work?

Phaeton

Staff member
Bruce that's a bit of a blonde one  ;D sorry no offence but think about it logically what's going to happen to the fluid if you turn the MC through 90 degrees?

Alan...

jason_l

BRUC3":3end8jvx said:
Just been doing some reading up on the Fiat forums, and it seems you can no longer get hold of the Fiat Cinq reservoirs!
There seems to be a lot of people saying theirs are cracking and 'exploding' due to turning brittle from old age!
Now I dont fancy putting one on so going to try and get a suitable replacement!

Really? What are the fiat owners doing about the problem then? There must be a alternative surely? Otherwise if you had a fiat cinq and it goes then the cars as good as written off  :D

BRUC3

Ive read a couple of threads where their just using universal ones from demon tweeks.

Will probs sign up and ask them direct and see if anyone has any first hand advice!