brake test waring light for sva

nw208

Guys, I have connected everything from the wiring loom from premier wiring but I am not sure how the brake fluid level warning light works.

Is it meant to illuminate when the fluid drops below a certain level, or are you meant to push a button and a light illuminates (showing that the level is ok )

If it doesn't illuminate does this mean that the fluid level has dropped.

I am a bit confused because I didn't start with a donor mini so I am not sure how it is meant to work.

ben waine

well on mine (i think its off a mini) there r 2 wires going in to the resivor and the light lights up on my dash wen i got low once... y dont u try taking some fluid out and then turn the buggy on see if it lights up

Phaeton

Staff member
nw208":3og6e4j2 said:
Is it meant to illuminate when the fluid drops below a certain level, or are you meant to push a button and a light illuminates (showing that the level is ok )

BOTH.

If the fluid drops then the tell-tale light has to come on, you unscrew the cap & let the fluid come out & the light should come on, some caps have a pin hole in them that you can press down on to simulate this happening.

Also you must have a test switch to prove the tell-tale light works, this can be done either with a spring switch, which when pressed the tell-tale light comes on. Or it can be done with a switch on the handbrake so when the handbrake is on the tell-tale light is lit. Most modern cars go with the second option, I'm willing to bet there are thousands of drivers out there who don't know it's anything to do with fluid levels & not just a handbrake light.

The tell-tale light must have the correct symbol on there as well, I failed my first SVA by having the Mini one which has a foot pressing a pedal, the official one is (0) with an apostrophe in the middle.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":sv8nzz21 said:
Do you have to have one?
because i have a brake pressure guage.
max

Never heard of one of those, does it bring on a light if you loose all your fluid without pressing your brake pedal?

Alan...

nw208

Thanks for the info guys, can't you tell its nearly sva time. All of the silly little jobs need doing now.

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":3pxvrelo said:
Never heard of one of those, does it bring on a light if you loose all your fluid without pressing your brake pedal?

Alan...
Nope, i don't think so, so does this meen i have to try and fing one of these warning lights you are talking about?
Thanks alan.
Max

Mini Mad Max

Lol, thanks alan. Do you know of a place that sells a light with a special symbol on that you were talking about?
Thanks very much
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
They're in Alan's shop Premier Wiring if you can't find one in ther listings just buy any other & send a note with the Paypoo stating which one you want. That's what I did.

Alan...