Building a body mould

BRUC3

Anyone else thought about doing this?

Seeing as I love working with fibreglass and anything to do with moulding im planning on making some sort of mould to sit over the chassis of the buggy!

Although this is obviously way off in the future, Im planning on making the basis up with ply, adding lumps in all the right places and smoothing off with filler. Once this is all done layering the mould with about 8 layers of fibreglass.

Only problem I cant solve is how can I diy the moulds so their exact either side?

Anyone got any suggestions or experience in doing somethign like this?

Radar

split it do one side cut in half lengthways and mirror the completed side then join together

Radar

jason_l

I had thought about doing something like this but the work involved is HUGE!!!!!

Im planning on making a front nosecone and thats going to be hard enough. Similar process using ply, polyurethane foam and filler to create the shape then make a negative mould from this then add mould release and make a fibreglass/carbon nosecone from the mould!

long way off yet though..........

Jason :D

BRUC3

But how would I go about getting the sizes exact when I mirror it?

Ive seen a few people make their own bodykits for their cars, and modified my kit on an old Mazda I used to own pretty extensivley! Its just getting it exact I cant figure out how to do!

jason_l

BRUC3":52o34818 said:
But how would I go about getting the sizes exact when I mirror it?

Ive seen a few people make their own bodykits for their cars, and modified my kit on an old Mazda I used to own pretty extensivley! Its just getting it exact I cant figure out how to do!

What im going to do for the nosecone/front piece on mine is to make some ply profiles that are placed against the shape at one side to check alignment and then transfer to the other side in the same place to make sure its the same either side. Then you can add/remove material where possible. If you do this for key points it should look relatevely the same either side. Does this make sense???

Jason :D

BRUC3

On another note, has anyone ever tried mounting another body on a freestyle chassis such as a VW Doon buggy body?

And cheers for the vids Jason! :)