bulk head plates

boger123

hi has any body ever welded a front bulk head from scratch if so did they start with the main plate weld to the chaise and then build the rest from that or build it as 1 unit then weld it to the chaise as Ive built mine today nearly finsted it but got carried away with the welder and completely warped it gutted as it took me 1 hour to weld then it had to go on the scrap pile and start again has any body else had this problem or was it me being heavy handed with the welder i will build another 1 tomorrow and put some pictures on so you can have a look and see what you think

boger123

hi just wondering if any1 can tell me the speck of the front springs or can you point me in the rite direction to get some         1 more thing can any1 give me any information on               http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/boger123_2009/buggy033.jpg                  

Phaeton

Staff member
Seem to think the springs are 90lbs I may have a set, but if you are using heavier gauge steel you may need to have heavier springs.

As for the Scamp/Nomad/Whatever, it would be a shame to use it as a donor, I'm sure there are other ways to find a V5C.

Alan...

boger123

hi im after 5 sets of springs any ideas where i can start looking for them my chassie is now thee same as yours and i only brought the moke nomad ??? for the front subframe there was no v5 cheers dave

esdebe

Why do you need 5 sets???

I used some 100Lb ones form a set of spax coilovers for a mini, these would be used on the rear of a normal mini to give a softer ride.

Most aftermarket mini places would sell them.  They will have an inside diameter of 1.9"  so you can also look at merlin motorsports, they do 80LB and 100LB either should be Ok in a buggy you will also need to know the uncompressed length.  I think that is about 10" but I'm sure somone else will clarify.

Simon

boger123

hi its like Alan said I'm making 5 as i took all the measurements and templates of Steve's and i made jig so its easy to make them and it cheeper to buy the steel in bulk so my plane is to keep 1 and sell the rest on eBay so far i have a complete chassie all the brackets for the gear selector and hand break the back subframe is bolted on i all so have the front bolk head on just waiting for some plates to be plasma cut to convert the top wishbones and make the rollcage hope fully by next week end i should have a rolling chassie  thanks for the info on the springs ill see if i can find some 

Phaeton

Staff member
boger123":3so1i5gy said:
plates to be plasma cut to convert the top wishbones 

Interesting, I have 5 pedal boxes & 10 of those plates in my workshop.

Alan...

boger123

hi Alan i wish you would of told me last week as it would of saved me making all the templates Ive all ready sent all the templates of to be cut i should have them by the end of the week cheers anyway and just wondering if you could help with a few questions as i right in thinking that the seats bolt straight to the galvanized floor and Ive fitted mine with 2mm galv will that be thick enough and have you got a bar to connect the gear selector to the gearbox so i can copy the shape cheers Dave

Phaeton

Staff member
Seats bolted through the floor will be fine, & sorry no not got the shepherds crook.

Alan...

boger123

cheers anyway i am getting there slowly i will add some pictures at the end of the week so you can have a look and see if you can tell me if Ive done any thing wrong  have you got a postcode to where your going in bewdley as I'm not far away and ill pop up and see you as my chaise should be finshed then so ill bring it and show you

wot are you doing?????  dave owns the rights the the funbuggy.  do you not think you will get in trouble selling them on ebay?  are you a coded welder? are your frames safe / tested?  wot if someone gets killed cos you missed something? dave has a company which i think means he would be more covered than you! he is also a professional engineer and welder.

if someone buys your frames, where do you think these people will get the fibreglass and fitting to finish them?  do you really think dave would sell them to them.  i know i wouldn't.

if people want a buggy then they should contact dave - he still makes them!  alot safer

collie

I agree, making one for your own amusement/satisfaction is one thing but manufacturing and selling on eblag, isn't that a bit of a misdemeanour?

Is Dave still making them?  I thought that was the problem, he's not still making them is he?

esdebe

I spoke to Dave not long ago, he isn't makeing them anymore,  but has his jigs, fibreglass moulds  and other bits in storage, if someone was to offer him a reasonable price they could buy the rights to make them.

I think you would have to be carefull about selling the frames and it would be polite to give dave a ring and ask permission. He usually answers his mobile providing the number ins't withheld.

Simon

HolyCount

collie":2j4mjtoy said:
I agree, making one for your own amusement/satisfaction is one thing but manufacturing and selling on eblag, isn't that a bit of a misdemeanour?

Is Dave still making them?  I thought that was the problem, he's not still making them is he?

Dave still has the legal rights to the Freestyle and the jigs and suchlike, but is not currently making them. I would hope, as things settle down ( he has recently moved and changed jobs), that he will get bitten by the bug once more and production will resume in some form or other.

collie

I certainly hope so, and if a buggy can get an IVA pass, then there's no reason to not carry on production.

...Yes Alan, i know, I gotta pull my finger out!  :D

collie

boger123":11il7qlr said:
http://photobucket.com/dave_060 hi can anybody tell me where i can get some 13" off road tyres
Don't know sorry, but this post would have been better off in the wheels or wanted sections?
There was a discussion about the same subject in there a while back...
Buggy is coming on really well, radiator looks a bit scary though!  :eek: