Car Trials

RichardG

Hi everyone, don't think I have posted on the forum for ages so thought I would drop in and say hello.

Matt and I decided the buggy is far to much fun to sell even if we can't get insurance for Matt to drive it on the road. So Buggy is no longer for sale as we have some other plans for it.

Production car trials - basically any road legal car can enter and the car/driver that gets furthest up the grassy/twisty hill wins. We have joined Coventry & Warwickshire Motor Club (£11) and entered our first competition for next weekend (just £17 entry fee). It must be the cheapest form of motorsport there is.
http://cwmc.org.uk/cwmc/Home.htm

Ross and District Motor Sport club ae hosting the competion next weekend near Glouster.
http://www.rossmotorsports.co.uk/News.htm

It would be great if we could get a few other buggies involved so why not have a go!!

All you have to do is join any club associated to the Cotwold Motor Sport Group and you can then enter any event organised by any of the associated clubs etc.
http://www.cmsg.co.uk/

If you want find out more about production Car Trials take a look here:

http://www.btrda.com/Car_Trials_(PCTs)/

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Good luck, I so want to do this as well, I was looking at this last year with the Bugrat, right I'm hopeless so you NEED to have ALL the information I need to know at Stoneleigh & then I'll enter one soon after.

EDIT:- Will you be entering twice, once for you & then again for Matt?

Alan...

RichardG

Alan,

There is not much to know as far as I can - rules are pretty simple.

1. Car must be insured. taxed & MOT'd.
2. Standard road tyres - no nobbly off road tyres allowed.
3. Must carry a passenger (bouncer)
4. Maximun of 2 competitors can share the same car i.e. Matt will be my passenger & vice versa.
5. I think you have to carry a spare wheel - not sure on this one - still trying to find out.
6. There are 5 classes
    1 - FWD
    2 - RWD with front engine
    3 - RWD with rear engine
    4 - Modified & Kit cars
    5 - 4x4's and specials - these can participate but don't qualify for the competition

Not sure if they will put the Freestyle in Class 3 or 4.

We are really looking forward to it.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Had a rash idea to come down & support you until I realised that Longdon was a 350 mile round trip for me. Need to do a bit more planning, I'm struggling to find any local events to go for a butchers & ask the questions. When it says road tyres does that include mud & snow ones or proper road tyres?

EDIT:- Just found out there's one about 40 miles from me next Sunday, so might nip along to have a look & a chat with a few people.

Alan...

RichardG

Alan,

Where is the event you are going to watch? which club is organising it?

Winter or snow tyres are not allowed.

The other thing I found out was that tyre pressures are really important but the rules define the minimum prssure allowed in each class. For the buggy we will have to pump the rear tyres up to 26 psi.

I am already thinking that our 998 cc engine might be a bit underpowered so have started looking on e-bay for a 1275. The synchro mesh in our gearbox is worn so I was thinking about changing anyway.  ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
It's being run by Grimsby Motor Club saw the bit about tyre pressures, that's going to hurt a little. I'm still going to change my 1275 & put a 1.4 K Series in, but may stick with my original idea of the 8v rather than the 16v as it gives better torque. I have both in the workshop so will decide if I ever get round to sorting the subframe out. I have sent an email the the competition secretary just to make sure spectators are allowed. I can see no mention of having to have a spare wheel.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Mmmm ye good olde production car trails! The buggy should be great as it is like a hilman imp and they are great at these! I would be pretty certain that the buggy would go in Kit cars and Modified section, as class 3 will be for cars made in factories lol :D
My dad did a fair few, he went once with my uncle in a mg metro witha lovely engine in it, and my other uncle turned up to watch in an old volvo 4 wheel drive, and managed to come second to a hilman imp. Just out of the blue ;D
I will be taking part in something like that in the future, but it will be with the local 4X4 club and basically you do like a car trial, and go through gates, but on more difficult terrain. Knobbly tyres allowed :D
It's good to hear that you didn't sell the buggy!
Max

jason_l

Sounds like a fantastic idea, I want to see lots of pictures!  ;D

I would be doing the same but my car is more on road! Im thinking of maybe on road hill climb's and time trials, but have to build the thing first!

Mini Mad Max

Your buggy jason, would be great for hill climbs! I'd like to go along to my local one and have a razz, when my buggy is built too of coarse! ;D

Mini Mad Max

Fuel tanks, oil catch tanks, FIA regulation everything. It seems that if you want to take part in any motorsport nowadays you have to spend a bomb on all the equipment to reach the guidelines :-\ That's why i'm a member of a Cumbrian 4X4 club who don't give a monkey about guidelines! ;D

wurzell

Just returned from my annual Easter frolic, competing on the MCC's Lands End Trial....

This year, as my Freestyle is currently minus an MOT certificate, and Roadtax (in fact its also actually minus its Engine and Gearbox at the moment!), I decided to use my standard, roadgoing 1975 1300 Austin Allegro (dont ask, it's all I had), no sumpguard or raised suspension, etc and with my 14 year old son, Ashley navigating, and his schoolfriend for ballast in the back! we completed a very enjoyable 400 mile Classic Trial.....

Cleaned 12 out of the 14 sections, these two were just too muddy and steep for us to get off the startline, the only preparation that I had to make was the carrying of an approved AFFF Fire Extinguisher......

Cheap sport, and we had a fantastic time!

Phaeton

Staff member
How did it go?

I wanted to go to the Grimsby one as I said, but things transpired against me, I had to take my father into hospital earlier for an operation tomorrow. Unfortunately he's got a chest infection & it is doubtful whether they would do it, so had to stay local as I may have to bring him back home again. Family has to come first & there will be other opportunities.

Alan...

RichardG

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WE HAD A FANTASTIC DAY.

It was just so much fun - my jaw aches from smiling and laughing so much. We are already booked in for next event on May 17th.

It was a lot more difficult than I expected.
The buggy performed just great and is a winning car if only we could drive it better.
998cc is more than enough power for trials.
Matt was better than me and keeps telling me so.
Other competitors and organisors were all very friendly and helpful.
Weather was great.
Can not fault it for £17 entry fee it is amazing value.

Brilliant day.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Good to hear you had fun, is the one on the 17th May at the same place? Just it's a loooong journey to come down, I've asked Grimsby club if they are running anymore.

Alan...

RichardG

The trial in May is near Gaydon in Warwickshire. Just a little bit south of Stoneleigh.

My wife came along today and took plenty of pictures & video. I will try to get them downloaded & posted later in the week.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Who's running this one? bit closer 110 miles, but we could book a hotel & stay over the night before. If I brought the buggy down on the A-frame I could come to the trial & she could come along in the van later. Sounds like a plan just got to get her to agree to it, I take it Matt would be up for a 2nd run as a passenger unless I can find another victim.

EDIT:- Just found out it's Coventry & Warwick MC, also just brought up Gaydon on Google & noticed something just to the north of the village. There appears to be some form of circuit & several thousand cars parked up if you go to satellite view, along with what could be an off-road track.

Alan...

Steve

Did you have to make any modifications before you entered?
If anyone else was to become a member, how long does it take before you can enter in an event?

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":1d8257wl said:
Who's running this one? bit closer 110 miles, but we could book a hotel & stay over the night before. If I brought the buggy down on the A-frame I could come to the trial & she could come along in the van later. Sounds like a plan just got to get her to agree to it, I take it Matt would be up for a 2nd run as a passenger unless I can find another victim.

EDIT:- Just found out it's Coventry & Warwick MC, also just brought up Gaydon on Google & noticed something just to the north of the village. There appears to be some form of circuit & several thousand cars parked up if you go to satellite view, along with what could be an off-road track.

Alan...
It's the jaguar, range rover, aston martin complex. I used to get a good view of it every time i went mountain biking near the motorway their.