ChaosMotorSport MKIII Buggy Project Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

Conventional inline 4wd is easier to mid-mount! Only if the prop to the front diff is external to the gearbox, which it isn't always in some applications. Alternatively, you could get a 180 degree transfer drive to avoid using chains. Watch this video to see what I mean https://youtu.be/PVs_xZ46Cxw.

I like the modular idea. You could have off road and on road subframes with completely different setups to favour different driving. Makes upgrading and modifying less destructive to existing chassis stuff too!

Many interesting ideas Rich, keep at it :)

ChaosMS

cheers Max - that transfer drive is quite simple and seems to use helical gears (seen an open shot) so could use gearbox drive gears and build one instead of a chain drive.

Danny - you like the sound of this then do you?!

ChaosMS

Well quick update I'm building a new tool to help me with the build of the mark III - so im going to build a fish mouthing machine not one of the hole saw jobs but a bigger unit that uses a sanding belt, I've ordered a 2HP electric motor and controller for it and that should turn up today and I'm well on with the design in CAD, I've also spoken to the water cutting company near me and they are going to cut the components for me, I've also decided that this machine will be a bolt together unit so the frame of the machine will not require any welding to put together (helps if I need to change anything and means no distortion ) so ill be creating the cutting files directly from the design which will be good practice for when I do the big stuff for the buggy!! will post pictures later today.

ChaosMS

Bench grinder / fish mouthing tool for frame fabrication on the MKIII well under way just posted some pics of the design on the build thread, still alot to do but going well

250buggys

ChaosMS":18w3a7d2 said:
Bench grinder / fish mouthing tool for frame fabrication on the MKIII well under way just posted some pics of the design on the build thread, still alot to do but going well

Your 3d model looks really good, what software did you use to create it?

We use Inventor at work to model our parts.

Chris

ChaosMS

Hi Chris, I use Solidworks, mainly for its tube fab functions its a doddle to create a frame in it, I looked at inventor a while ago it looked really good but i preferred the fabrication and frame analysis of solidworks

Rich

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah Alan probably right - i need to build a cover over the pulley wheels too, not done that in the design yet too busy working out how the table in front of the cutting roller will work and be adjustable!!

ChaosMS

Hi Fellas, funny you mention a v6... there is the 3.2 v6 TT which is an option but im still aiming at the 1.8T 225bhp version, there will still need to be a little re-jigging once i find a donor car and get some final dimensions for the major components but the main driver / passenger area should stay the same dimension-ally - the seats will also be angled back slightly giving a little more headroom and improving the driving position, ill be taking the adjustable column off the TT and also fitting the seats with adjustable rails and lifts so anyone should be good to drive it!!

Will post a few more shots later I have decided to do a front and rear sub frame that will bolt into the main frame giving me plenty of options for changing the suspension and engine if needed without major changes to the main frame

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
If you are using either V6 or the 1.8T does that mean you're going to be putting the engine in the wrong place?

Mini Mad Max

Are you still planning to use a four wheel drive set up? The chassis renders look pretty awesome. Don't forget to make it comply with some regulations this time so that you can do something with it when it's finished ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":25z2cqyk said:
when it's finished ;)
ROTFFL how can you say that with a straight face, I hear you're staring in Game of Thrones as King Slacker of Tyria ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":1aosaii4 said:
Mini Mad Max":1aosaii4 said:
when it's finished ;)
ROTFFL how can you say that with a straight face, I hear you're staring in Game of Thrones as King Slacker of Tyria ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It's hard to even slack when I've not been at home for the past 3 or so years!

ChaosMS

Alan, im going to be putting the engine where it belongs - behind the seats!!!! found a nice man with a CNC machine who can cut my converter box from alloy for me to my drawings which is nice.

Max, yeah im still using the quattro system from the TT, as for regulations I'm not thinking about a competition machine really - if I was I would need to change the design quite a bit and consider CDS over ERW this time (so the chassis cost has just gone through the roof!!)

anyway ill do some more design work on it this weekend - working away at the mo on a new project for work so dont have a lot of free time during the week

Alan - King Slacker of Tyria ;D ROFLMAO ;) :D