Clearance for master cylinder

R1FREESTYLE

Hi all,
Fitted my master cylinder the other day. Went for a sierra one in the end. I have mounted it on the left side of the pedal box in order to give it more head room and adapted the pedal and shaft so it all lines up. The clutch I will mount on the gear lever as it makes it easier for me to use.
My question is, do you think I will have enough clearance under the GRP nose???
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/ ... 0009-1.jpg

Paul

jerry

Hi,

How far proud of the side bars is it, and how far away from the dash rail is the highest point? Can then mesure up on a fitted nose and check for clearance.

Jerry :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Paul,

I think it will be very tight, here are some of pictures of my setup, I'll try to take one from the side tomorrow.

MC1
MC2
MC3
MC4

Unfortunately because of the SVA I can't take one from underneath to show you clearance anymore

Alan...

RichardG

Hi Paul,

I just fitted the nose cone etc this weekend and was thing about using a Sierra MC. Why don't you come over to my place this weekend and we can see if you MC will fit under my nose cone.

I changed my PC a few weeks back and lost your contact details - E-mail your phonr number to me again at [email protected] and I will give you a call.

Richard

R1FREESTYLE

Jerry,
I slid a bar across the side rails, then measured up from this (at a sort of right angle to the side rails) this gave me a a measurement of approx 10 cm to the very top og the cap. I figured that there was a bit of clearance because in Alan's pictures, his master cylinder is elevated above the rail that goes across the dash. Its all guess work until I have seen the GRP nose.

Here's a pic anyway, fingers crossed its not bad news.......
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/ ... ADROOM.jpg

Richard,
I would love to came and take a look, I am free all weekend. I will mail you tomorrow and we can sort out the arrangements.

Just mounting the bike rad on the front so it would be useful to measure your lower nose cone at the moment as well.

Thanks a lot !

Paul

Phaeton

Staff member
Paul,

Is it possible to take off the resevior & turn it round? not sure if it would line up level that way though.

Alan..

R1FREESTYLE

Alan,
Not a bad idea, but your right, it will probably throw the level out.

However, I went to visit Richard yesterday to see his Freestyle, (thanks Richard, nice to meet you) and it looks fairly promising.
I have asked Dave to order me a nose cone. It's the only way I will know for sure.

Paul

RichardG

Paul,

nice to meet you yesterday - good to share a few ideas etc. The Sierra master cylinder looks like a good option so I am now keeping a look out on e-bay etc.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
Richard,

I'm supposed to be going to the scrapyard over the next couple of days for a full Edis system off a sierra, how much do you want to pay? Just in case there is one.

Alan..

RichardG

Alan,

I saw one go on e-bay yesterday for £17 plus postage, so £20-£25 would be good. As the mini cylinder I have looks like it is leaking from the seals and I have not souced a resevoir or worked out how to plumb it in I think the Sierra option looks good.

Richard

Phaeton

Staff member
If it works, then it is a far better solution than the remote like I have, I had no end of trouble getting mine to seal etc.

Alan...

RichardG

The Sierra MC is a bit bigger than the Mini one but looks like it will fit. Will need to open up the hole in the chasis as the Sierra MC requies a bigger hole and the mounting bolts are in a different place and may create a problem when fitting the clutch cylinder.

If it works it is going to be a lot better than messing about with the Mini cylinder and remote resevoir.

Richard

esdebe

I had problems with the remote too, found that Fuel line starts to weep after about 6 months, so I read that silicon was brake fluid resistant and replaced it with what Halfords were callling brake silicon pipe (rip speed stuf) only to find that weeped after just 2 days. Read some more and found that EPDM rubber wouldn't weep, and that most flexy hoses for plumbing were made of this and steal overbraided, so I bought a 1 m hose from focus cut the ends off bought some 8mm to 15mm solderring reducer, shove the 8mm end inside the flexy hose the solder ring stops it form sliding off but used a hose clip anyway. The 15mm end with sit in the master cylinder and won't move or leak if it is pushed in far enougth. The other end og the hose I used a small lenght (6 cm) of propper silicon heater hose with a bore of 12 mm I pushed this onto the remote resiviour (in my case one of the servo unit from a mini akna type 4, but woudl work with the type 3 too) and then pushed the other end of the flexy hose again with the 8mm to 15mm reducer into silicon hose and hose cliped it too.

No leakes. I mounded my type 4 above the stearing colum support.

Simon

R1FREESTYLE

Richard,
My mate has one left over from his Ginetta donor car, it's off a H reg 1.8 Sierra. If you have no luck looking round locally he says your welcome to that one for a tenner.
If you want any more piccy's of how mine sits in the car let me know.

Thanks again
Paul

Phaeton

Staff member
Paul,

Just noticed it looks like the Sierra M/C has 3 outlets, what are they for?

Richard,

I'll hold off getting one from the scrappy if you can get one for £10.

Alan...

iank

"Phaeton"":3c10pbz9 said:
Paul,

Just noticed it looks like the Sierra M/C has 3 outlets, what are they for?

Richard,

I'll hold off getting one from the scrappy if you can get one for £10.

Alan...

Front circuit, rear circuit and hydraulic brake light switch (on the front circuit) IIRC

RichardG

Paul,

If I can have your mates Sierra MC for £10 I will take it - sounds great. Does it come complete with cap & wiring for the warning light ?

Will you be going to Stoneleigh this weekend ? If yes I could meet you there to collect it.

Richard

RichardG

Alan,

If i remember correctly from my Robin hood , the two front outlets on the Sierra MC go to the front calipers (one left , one right) and the other goes to the rear brakes via a T piece.

In my Robin Hood I used the Sierra MC without the servo and the braking was a little bit marginal but the Robin hood probably weighted 850 KG. On the Freestyle it should be fine given it is so much lighter but may need to play around with the front/rear balance.

Richard

R1FREESTYLE

Richard,
Plan to go Friday at the momemt, looks a better day on the forecast as well. Fair weather boy me! If you arent going Friday my mate says he can send the M/C for £10 plus the cost of postage.

I agree with Alan's post, thats how I plan to plumb things in.

Paul