Clutch Pipe Questions

collie

I've ordered a Landrover Clutch Master Cylinder (Like yours Alan) and also ordered kunifer pipe and fittings for brakes.
I had no problems doing that till I considered the clutch pipe where the Manual says 1/4" and my mini donor was fitted with 3/16" and I realise now I have no idea what will fit the Landy MC?
Question 1:
What difference would there be in running different diameter pipe in the feel of the clutch pedal?
Question 2:
Alan, do you know what size fitting I'd need for the Landy MC? Metric 10x1, UNF 7/16 or other?

Sorry, I realise this is nearly all in another post but wanted to be clear!
Thanks!

Phaeton

Staff member
"collie"":47gerksv said:
What difference would there be in running different diameter pipe in the feel of the clutch pedal?
Don't think it makes any difference as once the pipe be it 3/16" or 1/4" is full it acts like a solid bar anyway, just may take a longer time to bleed. Having just typed that you may get slightly less movement from a 1/4" pipe if you were using the same master cylinder but as you are now using (or will be) a 3/4" one you've compensated for that already.
"collie"":47gerksv said:
Question 2:
Alan, do you know what size fitting I'd need for the Landy MC? Metric 10x1, UNF 7/16 or other?
No is the truth, but I am pretty much certain that it's UNF, only metric one I used throughout the kit was the odd one on the brake M/C. I have both a bender & a flaring tool if you want to come over.

Alan...

funbuggydave

The original Freestyles used 1/4" pipe on the clutch to allow the fluid to flow back from the slave cylinder quicker, I've been using standard stuff for years and havent noticed any initial clutch slip as a result
Dave

collie

Ok, sounds like good news Gent's. I'll be using 3/16 all round and will hope that the Clutch master cylinder uses UNF.

Alan, My Dad reckons he's got a bender and flaring tool, if we can't find them, I'll be popping round! :)

Thanks!

hmalan

If you need the flaring tool whilst Alan (Phaeton) is away I have one, it's one of the £90 ones so is actually quite good.

Bought it when I had the last kit car. used it about 3 times and never again, didn't need it for the freestyle as I have the preformed flexible pipes, so I would be more than happy to see someone actually use it.

I live in Branton on the outskirts of Doncaster, not too far away from the other Alan.

If you need it best thing is to ring my mobile 07801 906195

Alan

collie

Thanks I'll let you know!
I'm back in the UK on Saturday, hopefully by then, my mastercylinder, piping and Special knock on self tapping pipe clips will have arrived so I'll be able to make a start! 8)