Council Visit

Mini Mad Max

Hi folks!
Just had a visit from the nuisance noise officer. My grumpy old fart neighbors have complained about my noise levels making the buggy. The angle grinder admittedly has been loud and on a lot recently, but i've been on my school holidays trying to crack on with the build as much as possible :p However, this is where it gets real silly... They claim that the noise of my cordless drill and the MIG welder are also just as bad?!!!?!? How ridiculous is that?! I have worked out that the noise of the welder and the drill tail off pretty much completely after about 3-4m, which means that they have to stand pretty much directly the other side of the fence to hear it and thus be offended. This is made even more ridiculous considering they could stand a couple hundred metres away in the 2 acre garden, of which they seem to mow twice a week at about 4 hours at a time on a ride on mower that only recently had its silencer fixed. That pretty much defines hipocracy.
Just thought I'd share this with you guys to see if i could get any amusing suggestions with how to deal with them :p And don't worry, I'm not going to stop building just to please them ;)
Max

Danny

Administrator
ah I know exactly what you mean :)

I fought my neighbours for years........

Hopefully the inspector will see the stupidity of it.... did you volunteer to crack open the grinder and let him get his tester out :)

Danny

Mini Mad Max

Oh that really sucks! What did your old neighbours complain about? I just can't reason with mine. I did offer to take the council lady to the garage, but she didn't seem too fussed. This was just the first visit the council do to let us know that the neighbours are un-happy. We already knew they were unhappy when he came to tell us to stop. I told them that i do not make loud noise outside the hours that she said were unacceptable, the guidlines are really loose though which makes it hard as different people interpret it differently. I unfortunately live next to some very unreasonable neighbours who's actions seem some what vindictive. It's not the only thing they've ever complained about to the council about us either. We get on very well with our other neighbours, so I don't think we're that bad :p
Can't wait to have a load of buggies down the drive for the Muddy Buggies Lakes Tour ;) Thank god they weren't in when Steve powerslid mary around the corner and jumper her over their stupid speedbump ;)
Max

ChaosMS

Oh man they are going to hate you when we all turn up outside your house!! ha ha ha

To be honest I have a very low tolerance for vindictive old gits like this! (They are probably retired parking wardens, or some other little hitler type) - Personally if your not working to the early hours on it with the garage door open, radio playing death metal at full volume, and throwing the odd empty tin at their windows - your frankly not working hard enough!! ha ha ha ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D

Sensible Mode Engaged: If the morons next door want to complain about noise then tackle the problem by recording the noise output from your garage with a DB meter, make a note of your garage hours and then you have the solid data at hand when the council come back - because they will you can be sure of that, council people like data, numbers are something they understand ;D

At the end of the day mate you just have to be very very cold and calculating with people who have nothing better to do than moan and try to make other peoples lives hell - as much as you'd like to return the favor and make their lives hell its far better for you if you dont !!! - You be the good guy and it shows them for the Arse's they are >:D

Rich

Radar

Max ,

crack on regardless but with the considerations you already have in place i.e nothing noisey before say 9.30am and after say 6-8pm ish theres NOT a lot they can do really and it's not like you will lose a friend in this neighbor seems they have already decided to do things the hard way involving council officials don't be intimidated know your rights and STICK to your guns plus put up a ST George flag on the garage door when you are working a BIG one that's like sticking two fingers up to the FRENCH ..an ENGLISHMANS home is his CASTLE LMAO

viva MAX and his buggy build !!!

Radar

Mini Mad Max

Thanks Rich :)
I have already taken a diary out to the garage to log every time i use a power tool and its duration of use at what time etc. It just frustrates me thoroughly that I even have to do this in the case that the council does return so i can prove that i am not being anti social. Further more, I was out there at 5:10 and I needed to cut something with the angle grinder but didn't because the council lady advised me not to make any loud noise before 10am and after 5pm which i think is pretty unreasonable. The council lady also said that the DB meter can't prove anything because it's all down to the type of noise and the duration and the frequency etc. I've just got to try my best to compromise and keep note of everything so if they complain again, then i can say to the council that I am not willing to make any more changes as its about both of us being happy. We've kept quiet for a long time, so I hope the council are getting tired of them :)
Seriously though, I would really love many buggies down the drive because they can't do anything about a one time visit :p Get your's finished soon! I bet it can jump the speed bump better than Mary with that monster suspension... I feel a competition coming on ;)

Haha thanks Pete! I finally stood up for myself last time they came round to complain, and because she seems to always want her own way, they went to the council. Thanks for the support telling me not to be intimidated, but it's hard not to be when i'm confronted by him from nextdoor as he is a very nasty man when he loses his temper. He's been very agressive to friends and family before. Don't worry though, I am not going to stop building the buggy for no man.
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Max, I agree with you, 9am is okay, but 5pm is totally unrealistic, if that is correct then I would never get anything done, I'm not home till then. I personally put a 8pm curfew of noisy things & a 9pm on doing any work outside, but we have families with kids quite close. I would suggest you have a look around the net, there must be some legal forums that you can ask on.

If you want a meet, maybe I shouldn't get Bumble's exhaust repaired.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Yeah... I agree that your noise curfew hours are far more reasonable, the council lady was just explaining how after 5pm is people's leisure time and i explained that the buggy is my leisure activity. It was just advice, I don't have to adhere to it until it becomes more of an enforcement, but i would rather it didn't go that way :p I stop making loud noise when i go in for dinner anyway which is 6pm usually. Any activity after my evening meal is usually painting or other quiet jobs. Its just since my neighbours have taken early retirement they seem to have more time on their hands to be grumpy and miserable! In fact one time when they complained to my parents just about our family in general, she said that she didn't like seeing my garage lights on in the evening because she know's that I'm there. That's why i say they have no reasonable expectations!! haha :)
Bumble only needs minimal silencing for any visit here ;) haha!
I will keep you all updated on any developments :p
Max

Steve

Would it be an option to film the next door nieghbour with out his knowledge, when he is being agresive. I know it is sneaky but I bet he is as nice as pie to the council rep's. He will always try to portray as the bad guy. It would be good if you could prove otherwise. So many stealth cameras available that could just happen to be on filming your progress when he happens to call around.
Just a thought.
A different option could involve a base ball bat and a new patio.
Steve

Radar

yeah Max ......steves advice ... a new Patio party hmmmm I know some eastern Europeans Russians I believe who don't give a F### for human rights or moaning neighbors want me to call em ?? lol

keep on going mate seems you are being most reasonable and not antagonising them any more than necessary ...good policy but keep the "Agincourt fingers " in your pocket for use when needed.

Radar

Mini Mad Max

Filming is a bad idea apparently, this is because if you use the footage as evidence, then the other person can claim that they only came over to tell me to stop filming... Apparently it doesn't matter what is said on the footage, it can be immediately dismissed as the person just asking that you stop. We do have eye witnesses though :)
As for the new patio thing... I think i am too naive of what is meant here? haha :p
Hahaha Agincourt fingers :p I've been tempted to do a two finger salute many times, but i knew that i ought to refrain!
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
They cannot stop you filming as long as all the footage in from within your own curtilage, you don't really need sound as if it ever does kick off the body language will give him away. You have a gayphone don't you, if ever he comes over take it out of your pocket & in plain view put it on voice record, state the date & time & then just hold it in front of you.

Alan...

Steves2580

Mini Mad Max":238qyqhs said:
Can't wait to have a load of buggies down the drive for the Muddy Buggies Lakes Tour ;) Thank god they weren't in when Steve powerslid mary around the corner and jumper her over their stupid speedbump ;)
Max

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":1sy2dy06 said:
They cannot stop you filming as long as all the footage in from within your own curtilage, you don't really need sound as if it ever does kick off the body language will give him away. You have a gayphone don't you, if ever he comes over take it out of your pocket & in plain view put it on voice record, state the date & time & then just hold it in front of you.

Alan...
Haha not a gay phone, spend all my money on the buggy so couldn't afford one. Just have a £60 android phone, I think i have a dictaphone app though! It would definitely spook him! I shall keep this in mind :)

Steves2580":1sy2dy06 said:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D
Fancey doing it again some time when they're in? :p Haha!
Max

Steves2580

Oh yes!!

I'm going for more air over the speed hump this time!!

Oh and Mary's exhaust is blowing a little too ;D

Chin up, don't let them bother you and keep batting on with the build!!

Steve ;D

Mini Mad Max

Hahaha! :) I have considered vandalising their stupid little "Caution Speed Bump" signs so they read "Speed Jump" :p Ooooh great! It was noisy enough last time!! haha!;D Oh don't worry, I won't let them slow down my progress!! Been out cracking on with it again today, Messing about with a driving position that can accommodate my lanky self :D
Max

vexedben

That's a shame that they are being so obtuse. It's kind of the opposite next door to me. It's a battle who can be the loudest with the hammering and power tools lol. Hope it gets resolved mind.

Ben