Digital Speedometers

Phaeton

Staff member
Guys,

Don't think anybody is still going for SVA but assume the rules will be the same for IVA, they have now deemed that any speedometer MUST show the speed & the MPH symbol at all times. Which means that speedometers like the Acewell which you can press a button to get temperature will be a fail, unless you disable or cover the button for the test.

Alan...

HolyCount

Flamin' 'eck  :mad: There goes Plan A ! I think I might revert to an old fashioned speedo and custom cable from the 'box. If I am going to do that will go for some nice dials and sell on the acewell

esdebe

Depends on the Acewell model, Mine shows the speed at all times, along with the fuel guage and RPM display, the only thing I can change by pressing a button is a line that displays Trip distance1, Trip distance2, RPM (in numbers), clock and total mileage.

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
Simon,

Does the MPH still stay on when the RPM is in numbers, I 'think' my old one did but couldn't remember fully, what model is yours it might be helpful for others looking.

Alan...

esdebe

YES, it is only the small line at the bottom that changes :)

MPH are big and there all the time. 

Simon

HolyCount

Can't remember what mine is - it's down in the garage  :-[

From the IVA manual:

Note 1 The speedometer must be of a type suitable for M1 vehicle use. The types manufactured for bicycles, racing only, those that rely on GPS or [glow=red,2,300]those that require switching as a separate function to that of operating the vehicle[/glow] or where they do not operate as an automatic function when the vehicle is driven are not permitted.

Does that make sense ??

Can it be read that they should automatically operate .... not continuously display ?

Phaeton

Staff member
I think they are interrupting that as if something else is displayed then once you move it reverts to MPH if not then it's not allowed.

Alan...

HolyCount

Phaeton":1zpj8jww said:
I think they are interrupting that as if something else is displayed then once you move it reverts to MPH if not then it's not allowed.

Alan...
Ah,yes. I see what you mean  ::)