Engine Breathers

jason_l

Lime&Orange":28os8u6y said:
Is it better to vent to air (via K&N breather) or into a catch tank?

I have a catch tank on my Lexus IS200 although its more to brighten up the engine bay.

In my experience even the most highly tuned cars don't really need them. I have a friend with a 700bhp lexus (supra engine) and he doesn't use one as it takes so long to even get any build up in one. Im planning on venting to atmosphere with my freestyle as its not a highly tuned engine and its only oil vapour anyway.

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Currently Bumble is vented to air, but there is a big discussion on Mini forums about this, eligible the A series was designed to be an enclosed system so any breathing went back through the inlet. If you are at Stoneleigh there's a guy who will come round & tell you that you've done it wrong if you have K&N type filters. He's ever so interesting NOT!.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Just to resurrect this old post, when I got back from the road trip there was oil on the front of the engine (distributor side) the top of the engine was dry, but from below the dipstick hole it was damp, including the rear firewall. I can only assume it was coming out of there, so question is how is everybody else breathing, should I leave the small oil/air filters on or should I go back to an enclosed system?

As an aside does anyone know any Mini places that sell new dipstick seals.

Alan...