Engine Mount Quandry

collie

I do hope one of you guys can help me!

I placed my engine in the subfame today and when I cam to bolt it on, the clutch housing side was fine, but the other side is a big problem!

First of all, the holes don't line up from the mount to the subframe, the subframe holes are 1cm wider.
Second, the gap seems to be all wrong as when I bring the subframe up to the engine it's no longer level.

The engine was out of a metro, could it be the main engine mount (not the rubber bit) is wrong?

Phaeton

Staff member
Alex,

You have to change the mounts from the Metro to the ones from the Mini, I'm sort of assuming you have done that, the fan end mount has a bracket for the radiator am I right? Have you used new engine mounts? If so that is likely to be your problem they are an illegitimate child to fit. First time I fitted new mounts I thinnk it took nearly 3 hours & I had the neighbours laughing at me as I was physically stood on the rocker cover jumping up & down.

Alan...

collie

So I should be bidding on this:
Binbay
Because the Metro mount that looks identical is wrong?
I'm ok with this so far, but I don't understand why the holes on the new mount (shown below) don't line up with the holes in the subframe???
78f3_1.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes the Fleecebay bit is what gets replaced on the front of the Metro to make it fit the Mini, don't you have one on the 998? As to why they don't fit the subframe I'm not sure, I thought there was only one kind. I may have another new one in the workshop I'll have a look.

EDIT:-

Been to workshop & found these

Are you working on the buggy tonight? If so Gert is going out & I could drop them round for you.

Alan...

collie

Unfortunately I'm driving down to Dorset this afternoon and won't be home till Sunday afternoon.
I'll be happy to drop by one evening when I'm back to pick them up and of course say hello.
Unless of course you're taking Gert out again any time from Sunday evening?

Greatly appreciated as always Alan.

Alex

Phaeton

Staff member
collie":38nkrn9l said:
Unless of course you're taking Gert out again any time from Sunday evening?

Alex

LOL I don't take Gert out, we've been married too long for that, she goes out on the lash on her own or at least with her mates.

Alan...

collie

Thanks for coming down tonight Alan, really appreciate it!  :)

Here's what I found out:
I definitely have an Automatic Subframe:
Front subframe for automatic minis, the front crossmember bowed forward to allow room for the larger gearbox and the engine mounting locations were in different places, as well as being 3/8" lower in the frame.
Seems though the mount on the clutch side while it appears to fit is still wrong!
Here's what I have to get in order to correctly mount my engine:
http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/info_MSK016.html
MSK016.jpg

Only found these on Minisport suprisingly!  ???

Phaeton

Staff member
Or as I said when I was down there you you make them yourself, depending on cost, sometimes it's cheaper to buy them made than to buy the steel & do it yourself.

Alan...

collie

I might be able to fabricate some bits from some steel I have in the garage or from what I can scab at work!  :D
It's just calculating the exact sizes, plus I'll need an Automatic mount.
I'll see what I can do and will keep you posted!  :)

collie

I bought these engine mounts and were remarkably easy to fit!
Engine is mounted on subframe and is ready to mount to the buggy, which comes to my next question:
Linky...