Engine Steady's

collie

I've been trying to work out what I need for engine steady's, I have a top steady bar, (just the bar!) but nothing else.
Checked out Moss Europe to get an idea of price (I know they're more expensive than anywhere else in the world!) and cos they have excellent pictures of the components I need.
Now, it caused me some concern, apparantly, there is:
  • Top Bar (£28.04 for all peripherals (I have the bar))
  • Lower Near Side Rear Bar (£36.28)
  • Lower Off Side Front Bar (£53)
  • Lower Off Side Rear Bar (£37.86)
Are these prices real, do I need all four, or am I being a tight arse!?  :-[

Phaeton

Staff member
Alex, you forgot about the Near Side Rear Top Ultimate Steady.

I have Poly bushed the standard one which is turned round, which I suppose would be called the Off Side Top, I also have poly bushed the Lower Offside Front (probably got a spare bar). I then after last years trip, bought the Near Side Lower one (can't remember if it's Poly'd or not) I have also bought an Ultimate engine steady & made a bracket that fits to the subframe & bolts to the thermostat housing.

All I can say is between them they make a vast difference, gear change is very precise now & you cannot feel the engine move at all under power on power like I could before.

As to pricing they are way way too expense,

Top Bar (£28.04 for all peripherals (I have the bar)) Just buy Poly Bushes
Lower Near Side Rear Bar (£36.28)  I think required but £10 too expensive
Lower Off Side Front Bar (£53)  Just buy Poly Bushes, you should have it somewhere in the garage
Lower Off Side Rear Bar (£37.86
Not required

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

I thinnk i bought two gearbox steadies because the old ones were nackered and i'm sure each one was under or about £20 from minisport... where you been looking? Also the ultimate engine steady that alan was refering to is probably the best one you can buy, you need to make a bracket for it though but that's not hard :D It bolts to the thermostat housing and stops all twisting action in the engine. I don't think you need to go overkill with every kind available.
Max

collie

Oh Blimey, so I got another to consider!  :-\

Well, having stripped the mini donor I can guarantee that it didn't have any steady's or peripherals and I bought the top arm off ebay because I was feeling flush and it was going oh so cheap!
Thanks guys, so I still have a small fortune to fork out.
Max I was looking only at Moss Europe, I know they're overpriced but i know when I look there I find exactly what I'm looking for!

collie

Mini Mad Max":hxgdssik said:
Fair Do's :D I always use minisport because they are usually the cheapest and have the best service.
Max
Agreed, I don't recall buying anything from Moss Europe  :D