fire extinguisher as a reserve tank ?

marshall

were do you get the fire extinguishers to use a reserve tank ?
and what do you have to do to turn it into a  reserve tank.....

Phaeton

Staff member
Get out the yellow pages & look for a Fire extinguisher company local to you. I was offered as many as I wanted from one about 20 miles from me for free. As to what you have to do to use it, is this a buggy that is already registered or one that will have to go through IVA?

Alan...

marshall

what size fire extinguisher do you need 9ltr or 6ltr ? or just
use a petrol tank that sits behind the seats?
has anyone got some pictures of a fire extinguisher before
it was fitted to the car?....

marshall

No I'am just getting bits together.  and see what is the best way
to use as a petrol tank a fire extinguisher or a tank behind  the seats.
i need to sell my mgf 1st before ordering the kit.
it's just gone on PH tonight once sold the funbuggy here i come!!

HolyCount

Nice looking MGF  :)  My favourite colour.  As you might have seen, reading around the forum, it could be a tad difficult to get your hands on a freestyle kit at the mo ..... but hang in there ... things are afoot that might change that.

marshall

OK just won an engine and subframe on E-bay its a auto
but hay only cost 67.00 .it has brakes and disk's
so all i need to do is sell the mgf and i am on my
way to build ....

esdebe

not sure how you plan to use an Auto, you will probably want to change the gearbox to a manual one.  The subframe is also different to the manual one so you will need some special mounts to fit it to an auto subframe, but it is possible.  There is another post about them on the forum somewhere.

Phaeton

Staff member
Looks like Alex (collie) has an auto subframe & there is no fitting problems, well at least none for subframe to frame, he has problems fitting the engine/gearbox into the subframe, had to buy special brackets.

Alan...

esdebe

I was refering to the fiting of a manual gearbox to the subframe, not the subframe to the chassis too.

Simon

HolyCount

I heard somewwhere that princess mounts do the job -- that's the sum total of my knowledge on the subject -- the old (ex) fourstyle had an auto fitted ( long since consigned to scrappie heaven).

collie

My Subframe is an Auto and fits perfectly with no mods.
Yes I had to buy some brackets to mount the engine as it's a manual, but they were easy to fit.
As for the auto engine, if the old fourstyle had an auto box then surely it should all fit into the freestyle, even with maybe a little modification?

HolyCount

collie":2q7vmae9 said:
My Subframe is an Auto and fits perfectly with no mods.
Yes I had to buy some brackets to mount the engine as it's a manual, but they were easy to fit.
As for the auto engine, if the old fourstyle had an auto box then surely it should all fit into the freestyle, even with maybe a little modification?

Yes, Collie, the fitting of the subframes, both auto and manual, to the freestyle frame is the same. The differences in mounts being discussed here ( if I read it correctly) are when trying to pop a manual gearbox into an auto subframe. In which case you need special mounts between box and subframe. Your first two sentences sum it alll up perfectly. :D

I was told ( possibly by Dave) that too keep the auto subframe (as we didn't want an auto box) we needed mounts from a princess to match manual box to auto subframe.

It's still too hot and my brain has turned once more to sponge ......  I fear I am rambling incoherently -- ignore me  ::)

marshall

OK were do you get these brackets from and how much
and has some one got any pictures of them so i know
what to look for?....

Phaeton

Staff member
If you do a search on Collie's username it should come up with pictures & links to the websites to buy from.

Alan...