Fuel Tank time

jason_l

Hi All,

Well my thoughts have recently turned to making a fuel cell/tank and the more i look at prices of off the shelf versions the more i consider making one from scratch. Plus all the off the shelf versions are to big to fit in where i want the tank to go.

After looking at Baloo's completely fantastic fuel tank i have decided to do something similar, well sort of. Plan was to get 2 fireextinguishers and join them together. One would have the fuel sender/level gubbins and the other would have the filler mounted on top.

Now comes my next problem i want a alloy tank not a steel version. i want to keep the weight down and alloy versions generally are better in my opinion. From what i gather most fire extinguishers are steel???

I have found a company on the net that have some steel tube for sale. Its 6 inch dia (152.4mm) and 3.5mm thick so would make a good cylinder size. Im looking at making two cylinders about 500mm long and have them sprayed up to look like NOS bottles although i will probably have them polished  ;D

The alloy tube is 2.5 metres long (£38.59 plus shipping)so i am going to have alot left over. If i go down this route is it worth me knocking up a few 'smaller' IVA friendly tanks so that people can use them to get through IVA and then drop the behind the seat tank in??? i could get 4-5 tanks made up with whats left. If i go down this route they will be sold at cost so no profit made on my point. Price will all depend what people want in size terms and fittings etc. The one i will be making for myself will have the proper weld on fittings for the braided fuel line etc but i can do them with just smaller/cheaper hose take off's.

Also if anyone has any comments about going for a made from scratch tank then please let me know.

Jason :D

wurzell

When I built my Freestyle years ago, I could'nt find any Mild Steel Fire Extinguishers to convert, but managed to get a couple of polished Stainless Steel ones, cheap as chips, think I paid £5.00 the pair...
This was because, as a Pressure Vessel, they were "Lifed", and when over a certain age, HAVE to be scrapped.
I would suggest finding a Company that Services or supplies Fire Extinguishers, and probably they'll be only to happy to get rid of some surplus, scrap units, failing that try your local Fire Station, they'll be able to sort you out, or point you in the direction of someone who can...
The local guy that I got mine from was pleased to find someone who would take them away!!
Also, then you get the Tops and Base's, cut them down to suit, add whatever fittings you desire, weld em back up using Stainless Mig wire, and polish back to a mirror sheen......Think mine measure about 7" to 8" across the flat base, normal Extinguisher size, though you could probably find some smaller bodied ones..
I used mine (unmodified) with Self Tapping Fittings, though you have to have a "Vented" type Filler/Cap, or they'll vacuum/suck themselves FLAT!!
Stainless Air Pipe Fittings and a length of fine, plastic/nylon Air line into the Top Screwed Collar/Cap will solve that problem...
VERY thin walled, they weigh virtually NOTHING!!
I also bought a load of Stainless Extinguishers with ALL their Stainless Fittings from a guy at Beaulieu Autojumble, he used to be there most years selling all sorts of "Fire" related stuff....
His address was Fireco Services, Building 305, Western Business Park, Bournemouth International Airport, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 6NW, (01202) 594503, though these are VERY old details, I last dealt with them in 2003, so they might no longer exist....
Sold on all my surplus one's years ago, sorry... :)

Radar

hi ,

my two cents are... not sure "keeping weight down" is an issue at all for what you will save on the fuel tank(steel versus alloy )+ in my book  the look and finish and the RANGE said tank will give you are the only considerations you should be seriously taking in to account.

good luck with your choices

Radar

jason_l

Hmmmm, maybe i start by looking at some fire extinguishers as thats the cheaper option.

So most fire extinguishers are not mild steel then??? my understanding was they where but i could be wrong.

My bro has given me his old fire extinguisher from his track car as he now has a plumbed in system and its a Alloy one. I don't want to butcher it though as i intend on having it as a fire extinguisher in the buggy.

Whats the best type to get? Are they all the same inside or do they differ from, powder, foam and CO2. Im guessing the CO2 ones would probably be best as they should be the cleanest inside??? Also do they have a coating on the inside or are they literally a steel container?

Many thanks all for your help,

wurzell

Probably most WATER Extinguishers are Mild Steel, these have a thick, heavy plastic/nylon? membrane to prevent them rusting from the inside out...
Having spent hours and hours attempting to remove said Liners with a Gas Torch (and other methods), I would say that this is virtually impossible to do,  at least without cutting them apart, then re-welding them up...
If you dont get ALL of that Liner out, then unleaded fuel will eat into it, soften it into a jelly, which then blocks your fuel lines and petrol pump! It's a total nightmare....
Hence the reason for using the less common Stainless Steel Extinguishers, these have NO Linings, as they dont rust, so no need...
Not sure about the Co2 or Powder types?
So, the Extinguishers to find and use are the Stainless ones :)  

jason_l

I thought most would be mild steel but i have just been out into our materials store and found an old 2kg CO2 one from 1989. some of the paint has chipped off and its not rusting. Had a quick sand of a corner and it looks like its alloy  ;D I haven't taken it apart as its not mine (yet) but i doubt its got a internal liner? i have calculated it should hold roughly 13.3 litres of fuel so i will probably go for 2x 5kg ones.

i would prefer alloy as i can weld the race fuel pick ups directly to the tank rather than having a threaded version.

Paul

Most modern extinguisher bodies are now made from stainless, particularly water and foam types. I would be surprised if a CO2 extinguisher was made from ally as it is a pressure vessel and would be expensive to maunfacture for the quantities required. The way to test is just put a magnet to it (old speaker etc). I would expect it to be steel and plated ar galved but you may be lucky.

jason_l

Paul":3hk18pr2 said:
Most modern extinguisher bodies are now made from stainless, particularly water and foam types. I would be surprised if a CO2 extinguisher was made from ally as it is a pressure vessel and would be expensive to maunfacture for the quantities required. The way to test is just put a magnet to it (old speaker etc). I would expect it to be steel and plated ar galved but you may be lucky.

First thing i did with the one i have here, and its not magnetic  ;D  I have now taken it apart and have ripped all the powdercoat off of it, actually it more sort of fell off. Its defo alloy and its really thick, its like 6mm thick if not more!!!!
Of course stainless isn't magnetic either so i don't know till i have taken the paint off. 

Jason

wurzell

First time EVER downloading a photo to Muddy Buggies, via Photobucket, hope it works!!

(Look's like I may have cracked it!).....

Stainless Extinguisher Tanks, nearside shown, needed to wrap/insulate this one to stop the Fuel Boiling!!

Tickettyboo1959

Phaeton

Staff member
Wurzell,

Put a tick in the little box under the image & then scroll down & click the generate tags link big blue thing, then copy & paste the links it gives you.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I do like your buggy!

Will be on the quest for piccys when Ir eturn home for the new revamped buggy site!!

Danny

Mini Mad Max

Is that wurzells buggy the green one?  If so i've been speaking to him on youtube. The sommerset lot are all still very active! Just search muddy buggies on youtube.
Max :)

wurzell

You've actually been conversing with my Son, he's putting all of our old videos & photo's onto Youtube regularly, as he's the only one of us who is any good with compluters, and knows how to do it!
Also, he's responsible for bullying his Father into re-preparing the Freestyle Buggy to go back onto the road, after a lapse of some 4 or 5 years!!
Hopefully a full, freshen up and rebuild throughout this Spring/Summer, will see us out on some more Classic Trials next Winter..

Mini Mad Max

Ahh i see. I've got to get mine built first before i can have fun on the road and trialling it :D More bits on their way due to minisport sale so i can get this thing built ::)
Max

Buggybloke

I've found a pair of what are labelled as 'Air Cushion Dump Tanks', about 20ltrs each, with welded on mounting brackets, and a bolted flange at each end, with a car-tyre type air valve in the top. Originally they had a sort of rubber bag inside, -I've taken this out, welded a mini fuel filler neck into the top flange, and drilled and bolted in a hydraulic bulkhead fitting in the base flange. They are very lightweight, thin wall steel, and would have originally withstood 100psi, so a good strong tank, with excellent range. I use it as the main tank and switch to the original (approx.8.5 ltr~very small!) front mounted tank, so now I would say I've probably got higher fuel capacity than an original mini! ....My buggy is an N.C.F. Blitz2......

Angel Boy

Buggybloke":2m6k56je said:
I've found a pair of what are labelled as 'Air Cushion Dump Tanks', about 20ltrs each, with welded on mounting brackets, and a bolted flange at each end, with a car-tyre type air valve in the top. Originally they had a sort of rubber bag inside, -I've taken this out, welded a mini fuel filler neck into the top flange, and drilled and bolted in a hydraulic bulkhead fitting in the base flange. They are very lightweight, thin wall steel, and would have originally withstood 100psi, so a good strong tank, with excellent range. I use it as the main tank and switch to the original (approx.8.5 ltr~very small!) front mounted tank, so now I would say I've probably got higher fuel capacity than an original mini! ....My buggy is an N.C.F. Blitz2......

Can you give me an idea of the dimensions please.  Sounds interesting.

Andy