Fuel Tank Unleaded restrictor for SVA

R1FREESTYLE

Hi Chaps,
In the process of getting an aluminium fuel tank made to fit in the chassis.
I am aware that there is some regulation regarding a "restrictor" in the fuel filler neck for unleaded petrol pumps, but thats all I know, can anyone fill me in on what is required so I can get things built right first time? I dont want to have to modify it later so it meets SVA requirements.

Thanks

Paul

esdebe

I beleive that that is a requirement on any car fitted with a cat, if you have no cat you don't need a restrictor.

RichardG

Paul,

It all depends on the age of your engine. Any engine manufactured after 1995 requires a catalytic converter to comply with the tougher emmissions regulations. If you have a cat you must have the unleaded fuel restrictor in the filler neck.

If you can't proove your engine is older than 1995 then by default you have to meet the tougher cat emmission test.

What age is your bike engine? easiest way to prrove age is to use the original donor V5 - year of manufacture of the car/bike is assumed to be same for engine so as long of the engine serial number matches the V5.

So the trick that some have used to avoid a cat. Get a donor V5 from a Mini donor (pre 1995) , submit an engine number change to DVLA and change engine serial number to match your engine. You then have a V5 that prroves you enfine was pre 1995. This trrick works with car engines (I did it with my Firefox which was fitted with a 1.8 K series) but not sure if it would work with Bike engine?

Richard

R1FREESTYLE

Thanks Chaps,
Richard, I have already sent off the V5 for the donor mini, so it did have a 2003 R1 engine in it when it was broken for the build ( and pigs fly), but it is a long shot and Mr SVA may not swallow it.
If he does doesnt I will have to build an exhaust pipe with a cat, remap the fuel and ignition (apparently this is a real pain) and then modify the fuel tank. To plan ahead (or for the worst) I was going to put the restrictor in the tank already but I dont know the requirement specifies. Or do you think having the restrictor in would be an admission of guilt and increase the whole argument for having the cat in the first place?
Paul

esdebe

Not sure what type of cap, and filler necy you were planning on using but Merlin motorsport do a leadfree insert for one of the Aston or Monza caps which has the required restrictor. However I'd just measure the filler hole on a production car and make sure yours is the same size.

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
"R1FREESTYLE"":2ooduisp said:
Or do you think having the restrictor in would be an admission of guilt and increase the whole argument for having the cat in the first place?
Paul
Just to muddy the waters even further I have a 1985 engine in an age related 1987 Buggy running an leaded head, with a restricted neck, never even realised there was a requirement for this, just built it that way. All fell apart when I then tried to put LRP in it from the local Sainsbury's which wouldn't go into the neck of the tank.

I personally would put the restrictor in, there's less chance of LRP or Diesel being put into the tank that way.

Mind you just as I'm typing all this I've thought about my Honda VTR1000 the neck on that is big enough to put any type of fuel in, not that it helps you with an answer at all Paul Sorry.

Alan...

RichardG

Paul,

I would advise planning for the worst case i.e. have the tank built with a narrow neck, fit the catalytic converter etc. that way you will pass the SVA either way. The requirement for the filler neck is 23.6mm maximum diameter.

When I took my Firefox for SVA with the 1.8 K series engine I new that Rover did not start manufacturing that engine until 1995 and so I was sure the SVA man would not accept my proof of engine age. I was right he new it was not a 1991 engine as per the V5. However he decided that because DVLA would issue me with an age related plate anyway that I only needed to meet the 3.5% CO2 test and not the 0.5%. He was happy that we did the right thing (we fitted a cat and had the filler neck restrictor) and was nice back. If you try to "cheat" to much they will tend to get tougher in applying the rules during the test. If you do your best to meet the requirements they will be much fairer with the tests.

Richard

R1FREESTYLE

Richard,
I think you'r right re: going with the best intentions, so I will fit the filler restrictor, thanks for the measurement.
Fitting the Cat and re-mapping the fuel and ingnition is going to be so costly and time consuming that I may just take the risk, nothing ventured and all that. I have just about given up hope of completing in time for the summer anyway.

Thanks

Paul