Fuel tank

binno

Hi guys

After some info please for a behind the seat tank. All these questions have probably been asked before!!!

What is the size of the tank?
How much are they?
Where can i get one from?
What capacity are they?

Cheers Mark

Mini Mad Max

Hey mark, as it says in the name, they are small enough to fit behind your seats :D I figured out you could get 290 miles on a tank if you achieved 40mpg so thats about 7 1/4 gallons, at least thats the size of the one i bought from steve. If you want one you should PM Biddleboy. He made me mine.
Hope this helps,
Max

HolyCount

Remember now you have to go to the trouble of fitting another bulkhead, twixt seat and tank, to create a compartment for the tank, sealed off from engine and passenger compartments  :(

Mini Mad Max

Why are VOSA so mean?! I bought one before that came out, so i'm going to have to make a sealed of bulkhead thing.
Max :-\

HolyCount

Mini Mad Max":30vg9u05 said:
Why are VOSA so mean?! I bought one before that came out, so i'm going to have to make a sealed of bulkhead thing.
Max :-\

Well, Max, unless someone comes up with an earth shattering alternative, we all have to do that now --- and TBH behind the seats seems to be the easiest place for it ----- don't quite know what to do about the filler though --- can't be anywhere near the engine "compartment" or passenger "compartment" -- being as they are both open to the world and to each other !!!!  They MUST nmake some sort of alllowance for open frame vehicles !!!!!!

biddleboy

how about a nice stainless steel box that goes round the filler neck to block it off from everything as you have a bit of space to play with were the neck comes out then we can put a locking cap on top of the box thing conecting to the neck like a motobike tank so it fits flush if you get what i meen 

HolyCount

biddleboy":2ueaye4i said:
how about a nice stainless steel box that goes round the filler neck to block it off from everything as you have a bit of space to play with were the neck comes out then we can put a locking cap on top of the box thing conecting to the neck like a motobike tank so it fits flush if you get what i meen 

I think I see what you mean -- but could be wrong  :-\

Phaeton

Staff member
I personally think the question is

Is the area in front of the radiator & behind the wheel arch IN the engine bay

Once this has been answered then you can work out what is needed. I also think it might be necessary to design a new IVA friendly tank that only goes behind the passenger seat. That way it is possible to build a 3 sided firewall round it. Where as currently it would be impossible to seal it over the handbrake & gear change tunnel.

Alan...

biddleboy

its funny you might say that as i broke down the other week and ran out of fuel IE no fuel gauge and with the fire extinguisher you can't fit a sender so ime having one made for just behind the passenger seat and use that with asender as my main tank and the other tank for a reserve

HolyCount

Phaeton":13ktuxm3 said:

Once this has been answered then you can work out what is needed. I also think it might be necessary to design a new IVA friendly tank that only goes behind the passenger seat. That way it is possible to build a 3 sided firewall round it. Where as currently it would be impossible to seal it over the handbrake & gear change tunnel.

Alan...

My thoughts were to use the "standard" behind seat tank. where it bridges the tunnel I was just going to run a "lid" along the top of the box to close it off under the tank and fabricate a three sided firewall, sealed to the floor and tunnel top ( to prevent leakages seeping into the passenger compartment). Then exit the filler through the side firewall and working on the principle that the sides and top don't need to be sealed as such -- just a nice firm closure with something like window beading.

Angel Boy

I've yet to measure this up so it is just thoughts at the minute, but as I no longer have to fit the brake and clutch stuff in the passenger footwell, I was planning on fitting a Mini fuel tank in with the filler neck connecting to a panel on the outside of the body work.  This then gets around the whole tank being fabricated thing as it is off a production vehicle.  It can then be boxed in and has the filler neck on the outside away from the engine etc.

Like I say don't know how practical it is at the minute and I may move towards a small tank fitted behind the passenger seat like everyone else.

Andy

Mini Mad Max

HolyCount":2hle88n2 said:
Phaeton":2hle88n2 said:

Alan...

My thoughts were to use the "standard" behind seat tank. where it bridges the tunnel I was just going to run a "lid" along the top of the box to close it off under the tank and fabricate a three sided firewall, sealed to the floor and tunnel top ( to prevent leakages seeping into the passenger compartment). Then exit the filler through the side firewall and working on the principle that the sides and top don't need to be sealed as such -- just a nice firm closure with something like window beading.
I was thinking of doing something like that kev. 3 sided firewal with some box over the handbrake tunel, then use liquid gasket to seal it all.
Max :D

Asbo

biddleboy":2tzskojy said:
its funny you might say that as i broke down the other week and ran out of fuel IE no fuel gauge and with the fire extinguisher you can't fit a sender so ime having one made for just behind the passenger seat and use that with asender as my main tank and the other tank for a reserve

biddle.....i have a sender unit mounted about a third of the way up from the bottom of my fire extinguisher tank(driver side tank) may have been jerry that fitted it?

Phaeton

Staff member
Doubt he will Steve, Glasgow is a long way, however Simon (Esdebe) has a float switch fitted from Maplins unless he's changed it. You wire a bulb through it so it come on when you're a certain level down the tank.

Alan...

Asbo

when is the show. if i have the weekend off i'll consider it. mind,it'd prob be easier posting a pic.

Asbo

in fact,prob be best to message jerry,as he probly did the fitting? looks kinda easy,but its a bit skittish...registers as a full tank(on mini guage)until its got about a gallon left. then it reads empty. not much inbetween.

esdebe

I changed from the float switch from maplin cos it wan't made from the materials it said, and it started to melt...

I have a optical sensor than uses the density of a liquid to work out if it is empty or not, but this would only power an LED unless you put it in a ttl amplifier circuit.  I got mine for RS components, and I have one spare. but they cost about £20.

I have also fabricated a float on a stick that activates reed switches, these work a treat with the Acewell and cost about £20 to build I can give parts list if anyone is interested.

Simon

Radar

some of you may know my fuel tank its pics are posted here ..a nice job but no firewall betwix it and the engine per sae as it IS in the engine bay... was thinking of boxing it in or fabricatiing some sort of fire wall any ideas what materials to use ? chequer plate etc springs to mind but was also thinking about superlux firbreboard ( as used in building industry to protect steelwork in buildings from fire for up to a couple hours ..so it should do the job maybe I could bond the board to some lightweight aluminium sheets that have been precut to fit the contours of the tank and its position within the engine bay.. I am merely doing this for myself and as another possible  winter project as the vehicle must have had this tank installed POST sva as I can't see it passing current regs as I have read and understood them here in various posts on the subject so although my buggy is through thenet so to speak and road legal etc it makes sense to try and rectify this situation froma safety perspective alone ...what do you guys think ??

Pete